• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Few Birds from Los Cabos, BCS, Mexico (1 Viewer)

Raegan

Canada
I just arrived back home from a trip to Los Cabos and I have a few pictures of birds I wasn't able to identify (mostly gulls). All of the pictures were taken at the San Jose Estuary on January 2. I believe I've correctly identified some of them as Bonaparte's Gulls but I'm not sure about the other ones. For the bird perched on the fence, Merlin tells me it's a Palm Warbler but I'm quite skeptical considering their range. If you have the time, a brief description of how you identified some of them would be very helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7392.JPG
    IMG_7392.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 61
  • Gulls 1.JPG
    Gulls 1.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 64
  • Gulls 2.JPG
    Gulls 2.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 56
  • Gulls 3.JPG
    Gulls 3.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Gulls 4.JPG
    Gulls 4.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 42
  • Gulls 5.JPG
    Gulls 5.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 55
What's BCS?
1. Looks ok for palm warbler. Yellow undertail-coverts, big supercilium, and they're common.
4-6. Laughing gulls and (I guess) Bonaparte's gulls and a strange black thing.

What's BCS?
1. Looks ok for palm warbler. Yellow undertail-coverts, big supercilium, and they're common.
4-6. Laughing gulls and (I guess) Bonaparte's gulls and a strange black thing.
Thanks so much! BCS stands for Baja California Sur (the peninsula on the western side of Mexico). I think the map I was looking at wasn't quite accurate for the range of the palm warbler.

gull 1 (pic 2) is a first cycle Yellow-footed Gull.
I very much doubt it.
By January, 1st-cycle Yellow-footed Gull is a rather neat looking bird with clean grey 'saddle', simple pattern on the wing coverts, and clean white undertail coverts.
In this bird, there are some new median coverts with strong barring that look decidedly odd for this species, and there are bold, triangular dark marks on the longer undertail coverts, to an extent that simply looks wrong for Yellow-footed.
The overall drab grey and brown aspect of this bird, as well as the dark bill with just a sliver of pink on the lower mandible also point to this being a Western Gull, not Yellow-footed.
Note that Yellow-footed is actually quite scarce at the Estero San José and at Los Cabos in general.
I did not see a single one there on the several days that I visited the area (in March 2016), while Western Gulls were present on every beach.
You get them mainly from Cabo Pulmo to the north.

Thanks for your help! Also, an update on the palm warbler: I added it to the checklist I made that day and submitted the sighting with the picture. It was marked as a rarity but I received an email that told me it was reviewed and accepted! Thanks so much for help with the identification.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back