• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Note About Nikon w/Regard to the 10x42 SE (1 Viewer)

I sent my compact 9x30s for repair through Seattle Audubon. Nikon told neither me nor Audubon--just replaced them with M7 10x30s. I was peeved until I realized the M7s we're better. Also, Seattle Audubon is letting me trade them towards either 10x42 HGs or Zeiss Conquests.
I hope things work out for you. I have never sent a Nikon through a retailer or organization, so I have no idea how things were communicated with Nikon when they were sent in. The optics have come a long way since the mid 80s, and I would prefer the M7 to the 9X30s you sent in also.

Huh, interesting. A couple years ago I sent my 8x32SEs in for a hinge tightening - they came back optically better than ever - not sure what they did, but it was great (they did note a cleaning and service). The form (which I still have) just says covered under warranty, a bit vague about what they would do.

I would be extremely unhappy to send my SEs in and get something else in return, considering the SEs in some ways are my best bins. It would be sad indeed if Nikon just decided it would be cheaper to replace than service. Sounds like FieldSurveyor's SEs just needed a cleaning.

Certainly will be more careful with Nikon service - in fact I am going to send in some Gold Sentinels shortly and will be very careful to specify repair and not replace.
Huh, interesting. A couple years ago I sent my 8x32SEs in for a hinge tightening - they came back optically better than ever - not sure what they did, but it was great (they did note a cleaning and service). The form (which I still have) just says covered under warranty, a bit vague about what they would do.

I would be extremely unhappy to send my SEs in and get something else in return, considering the SEs in some ways are my best bins. It would be sad indeed if Nikon just decided it would be cheaper to replace than service. Sounds like FieldSurveyor's SEs just needed a cleaning.

Certainly will be more careful with Nikon service - in fact I am going to send in some Gold Sentinels shortly and will be very careful to specify repair and not replace.
They probably cleaned them internally. It makes a noticeable difference since dust and pollen can get sucked inside porros though the EP focusing housing. I once had a cat hair get stuck on the bottom of the EP on an older 8x30 E2, which made it look like a line on a reticle. I was able to remove it. The grease from the focuser made it stick to the bottom of the EP, which I removed by taking off the EP and turning it upside down and cleaning it.

Nikon cleaned the internals with the 8x32 SE sample I sent in for someone, but they sent them back with the balsam separation untouched and said they didn't see anything wrong with the EPs. Dufuses! They are going back for a replacement since I know now from Corey Suddath that the balsam separation can't be fixed on the SEs. I have all the documentation and photos to prove the problem exists.

It would be wonderful if they could update the SE's AR coatings with the latest used on the 8x30 E2, which have a flatter light spectrum, which shows more vivid colors.

Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back