• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon (Premier?) 8x42 replaced (2 Viewers)

The 8x42 Premier LXL kept me from buying new binoculars for about 13 years, they are a classic! For the value and performance. Very durable too. Never needed any maintenance or adjustment, and I bought mine used too.

To all:

Well, I received my good ol' 8x42 LXes back this morning (Thursday, March 29th). They are definitely the same pair that I had before because they have the scratch marks made on the inside of the bridge when I first bought them.... and they show the same serial number, too, of course.

They definitely did not tighten the bridge, as it easily will flop - open and close (although somewhat slowly) - from side to side with no other influence than gravity.

Maybe they did clean them up somewhat. The lenses do seem somewhat cleaner.

The alignment doesn't seem to have changed. The alignment has always seemed very good, but I am not sure I know the best and proper way to check that other than looking at a horizontal line (like a power line) and slowly moving the binoculars away from one's eyes.

So, I am not sure if they need to go to Suddarth's or not... especially, if there is some way for me to tighten the bridge.

Dennis

PS: By the way, with all the discussion about the possible options for replacing my LXes, I was able to purchase the Nikon EIIs from Paul (Paultricounty) and look forward to comparing the views of the Nikon LXes to the Nikon EIIs. If I couldn't get a pair of 8x32 SEs or Anniversary edition EIIs, then it seems these EIIs were a good option.

With all the discussion about the Nikon EDG binocular, it has moved up on my list. too.
But, the Zeiss Victory 8x56 T* FLs continue high on my "I would like to have some day" list.

I still don't know why Nikon wouldn't simply tighten the hinge. Did you take off the end cap and check to see if there are holes around the central hinge? If so, you can use a small screw driver to loosen the grub screw a turn and then a double tine spanner wrench to turn the holes clockwise to tighten the hinge to your preference, then tighten the grub screw, and you're back in business.

Brock

I still don't know why Nikon wouldn't simply tighten the hinge. Did you take off the end cap and check to see if there are holes around the central hinge? If so, you can use a small screw driver to loosen the grub screw a turn and then a double tine spanner wrench to turn the holes clockwise to tighten the hinge to your preference, then tighten the grub screw, and you're back in business.

Brock
Hi Brock,

That is very useful information about tightening the bridge. It is much appreciated.

The nameplate at the bottom of the hinge needs to be removed to get at the screw you mention. I have a concern about breaking that nameplate when trying to remove it. So, for the time being, I think I am going to live with the loose hinge. They seem to be in pretty good condition overall --- good collimation and Nikon did seem to clean them up. At some point in the future I will send them in to Suddarth's, if they become damaged or when it is time to get them cleaned up again. Besides, now I have those E2s from Paul to use.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Dennis

Hi Brock,

That is very useful information about tightening the bridge. It is much appreciated.

The nameplate at the bottom of the hinge needs to be removed to get at the screw you mention. I have a concern about breaking that nameplate when trying to remove it. So, for the time being, I think I am going to live with the loose hinge. They seem to be in pretty good condition overall --- good collimation and Nikon did seem to clean them up. At some point in the future I will send them in to Suddarth's, if they become damaged or when it is time to get them cleaned up again. Besides, now I have those E2s from Paul to use.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Dennis
Dennis,

You're welcome. I guess the endcap doesn't screw off like the EDG's. I just checked my SE and E2, and neither has a cap that screws off. Nikon apparently didn't want customers doing their own repairs. The caps must pop off, but I wouldn't take the chance of breaking the cap.

EDG II hinges periodically loosen, so I'm glad they made them with a screw-off cap, so they can be self-serviced.

Corey or his son will adjust the tension on your LX's hinge for a reasonable price.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back