• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question about sexual dimorphism (1 Viewer)

Leiothrix

I wanna known what's the proportion of sexual dimorphism in birds.
Is there anyone known this?
I tried to search this on internet, but failed to find useful information.

Sexual dimorphism and homomorphism in birds, which one account for larger proportion?
I think this question is easier to answer than the former one.

Hi Leiothrix,

That's a big question. It depends on how you define dimorphism really.

If you count all species with slight, but visible (to humans) differences - eg . slight size differences, tail lengths, bill colour etc (I'm thinking eg. Barn swallow, Common kingfisher, many cisticolas in Africa, etc.) then there there are a lot more species than those with completely different plumages/size & shape.

And there are many with differences only in size (length/weight) but whose plumage features are virtually identical (many birds of prey eg.).

So your question is complex! Where would you draw the line when it comes to choosing whether one species is sexually dimorphic (which would you choose for Silver-eared mesia for instance)?!

H

Thank you.
Let me make my question concrete.
Only considering plumage color, what about the proportion of sexual dimorphism in birds by human eyes. Which part are larger? Dimorphism or homomorphism?
Sexual dimorphism here means easy to identified by human eyes in wild.

Thank you.
Let me make my question concrete.
Only considering plumage color, what about the proportion of sexual dimorphism in birds by human eyes. Which part are larger? Dimorphism or homomorphism?
Sexual dimorphism here means easy to identified by human eyes in wild.

I don't think that makes it any easier to answer. There is no magic line that defines a species as sexually dimorphic or not... many of the differences are slight, but nonetheless observable. For many species, it is only the extremes of either sex that can be accurately sexed by humans. The degree of overlap between sexes varies species to species, but exists very much on a gradient.

The short answer is you're not going to get a short answer, no matter how you rephrase the question.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back