• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Quick Tale. (1 Viewer)

FLMARK

Well I decided to upgrade my Binos Old Leopold Green Ring (10X42), after going birding for the first time. Is seemed that most were using 8X42 and after some time looking though some nice 8x42 binos I said to my self-time to upgrade. So the research started and I ended up with a pair of Vortex Viper HD 8X42. At first I thought they were very nice and so did my wife. Well after looking at Hummers at first light, we both decided there must be something better. So they were returned and we had in our hands the Vortex Razor HD 8x42. Well once again we used these for a while and my wife asks why are here scopes on her rifles better than the binos. I said the Vortex Razor scope should be no better than the binos. Well we ended up ordering a second set of Razor 8x42 (This is all from Eagle Optics). Birded every chance we got. On the 20 day and not totally satisfied. Another call to Parker at Eagle Optics. I am thinking to myself that he must be tired to talking to me, anyway he suggests the Sward SLC HD 8x42 which had been phased out. So we receive them and we fall in love (my wife loves them but does not like the weight). And by this time I knew there was no way to share binos. So a quick call to (EO & Parker) explaining that we love the SLC HD, but need a pair somewhat lighter for my wife. So 2 days later we have EL SV 8X32 and the wife and loves them! Well fast forward 3 weeks and the Diopter will not stay focused on the SLC HD and you there are no more to be had. So I send them back, and now have the EL SV 8.5X42 and believe we are done! We both love the view through the SV’s and highly recommend them as well as Eagle Optics and Parker.

Hello, also have EL SV 8,5x42, and like their huge sharp FOV, it is hard to miss flying bird with it. They are also very good in twilight. I think that 8,5 is very good magnification, you see slightly more detail, and they are very stable due to very good ergonomics. My tale to EL SV was from Vanguard Spirit ED, through Monarch 7 and Nikon SE. The main impuls for buying EL SV was for me 100% sweetspot,color rendering /white is really white/, and CA supression in center of view. Only thing that I lack on EL SV, is totaly supressed CA near edges, maybe in future model it will be corrected.And in the end, I like to buy pure european made binoculars.

Best regards / Kestrel

She now wants to digi-scope so I guess a Swarovski ATX is on the horizon.

FLMARK,

There goes the nest egg! ;)

That's the second defective SLC-HD we've heard about on BF in a week, which makes me wonder if Swaro redesigned the SLC to make it simpler so it could offer SLCs at a lower price or if there were "issues" with the SLC-HD that caused the company to go back to the drawing board before redesigning the entire series?

There were some other SLC-HDs earlier on that had issues too, except Ed's, which is apparently a "cherry." They don't call him "Lucky Eddy" for nuthin'. ;)

Hopefully, you won't notice that the EL's focuser turns harder in one direction than the other, or is stiff, or if is, it won't be an issue that will cause you to return it since I'm sure Parker is still working on all that return paperwork. :)

Glad you and your wife are both immune to "rolling ball" with the ELs. It rarely creeps up on you, you'd see it right away if you were sensitive to it.

But even if you change your mind about the EL or if something should go awry after the 30-day return period (Parker''s keeping his fingers crossed :), Swaro has one of the best ,if not the best, warranties in the business, so you can get it fixed at no cost or little cost.

That's one thing I really like about Swarovski compared to say, Leica, where you never know if they will cover the repairs or not, depending on what went wrong. Swaro is like Nikon, no questions asked, you get it repaired or replaced.

When you spend that kind of money, that's the kind of warranty you should get - worry free.

Well, the thermometer just hit 26* F, which will be the high for today, so I better put on my coat and down vest and rabbit fur hat and get outside and see what there is to see.

We had robins here two days ago. Didn't hear them yesterday or this morning. Saw a bluebird in the park and a flock of cedar waxwings, but I will need to travel to Florida (I have relatives in Delray Beach) to find the illusive Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

Thanks for sharing your optics search experience at EO, which sounds like a very good place to buy optics. Have fun birding in the sun while those of us up North are freezing our toes off! ;)

PABROCK

Only thing that I lack on EL SV, is totaly supressed CA near edges, maybe in future model it will be corrected.

I've yet to see a bin that was free of lateral CA but it can be reduced considerably by correct eye placement.

If for instance one looks at the left field edge, then the pupils also move towards the left and one sees lateral CA. A slight head movement to the right will centre the pupils and eliminate most of the CA.

I have noticed this with my 10x42 SVs mounted on a tripod but for hand-held use one would, of couse, simply centre the image by panning the bins.

John

I've yet to see a bin that was free of lateral CA but it can be reduced considerably by correct eye placement.

If for instance one looks at the left field edge, then the pupils also move towards the left and one sees lateral CA. A slight head movement to the right will centre the pupils and eliminate most of the CA.

I have noticed this with my 10x42 SVs mounted on a tripod but for hand-held use one would, of couse, simply centre the image by panning the bins.

John

Good tip! I will try that out tomorrow. The tree limbs are almost bare, and the snow clouds are piling up in the sky, a sure sign that winter is almost here and that CA is going to be at its worst.

Brock

I'm frankly shocked at the number of defective ''out-of-the-box'' alpha bins we hear about lately, and that includes the Conquest HD.

Really, for more than a grand [in some cases, nearly two!] how hard is it to properly design the thing and then inspect before they go out the door? I would be put off with a $50.00 bubble-wrapped Bushnell failing in the 1st day of use - disgusted with something costing 20 times that amount.

For me, totally unacceptable.

FLMARK,

There goes the nest egg! ;)

That's the second defective SLC-HD we've heard about on BF in a week, which makes me wonder if Swaro redesigned the SLC to make it simpler so it could offer SLCs at a lower price or if there were "issues" with the SLC-HD that caused the company to go back to the drawing board before redesigning the entire series?

There were some other SLC-HDs earlier on that had issues too, except Ed's, which is apparently a "cherry." They don't call him "Lucky Eddy" for nuthin'. ;)

Hopefully, you won't notice that the EL's focuser turns harder in one direction than the other, or is stiff, or if is, it won't be an issue that will cause you to return it since I'm sure Parker is still working on all that return paperwork. :)

Glad you and your wife are both immune to "rolling ball" with the ELs. It rarely creeps up on you, you'd see it right away if you were sensitive to it.

But even if you change your mind about the EL or if something should go awry after the 30-day return period (Parker''s keeping his fingers crossed :), Swaro has one of the best ,if not the best, warranties in the business, so you can get it fixed at no cost or little cost.

That's one thing I really like about Swarovski compared to say, Leica, where you never know if they will cover the repairs or not, depending on what went wrong. Swaro is like Nikon, no questions asked, you get it repaired or replaced.

When you spend that kind of money, that's the kind of warranty you should get - worry free.

Well, the thermometer just hit 26* F, which will be the high for today, so I better put on my coat and down vest and rabbit fur hat and get outside and see what there is to see.

We had robins here two days ago. Didn't hear them yesterday or this morning. Saw a bluebird in the park and a flock of cedar waxwings, but I will need to travel to Florida (I have relatives in Delray Beach) to find the illusive Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

Thanks for sharing your optics search experience at EO, which sounds like a very good place to buy optics. Have fun birding in the sun while those of us up North are freezing our toes off! ;)

PABROCK

Brock,

This involves the diopter of an SLC HD changing during the course of using the binocular; "migrating" or "drifting" so to speak.

I've read other complaints about Swarovskis, focusing difficulties but this is the first time that I can remember seeing a complaint about their diopter mechanism which is a part of the focus wheel. I even recall you making complimentary comments on the ease with which the diopter can be changed on the SLC.

What do you think is happening here? I believe these were the old model SLC.

Bob

Brock,

This involves the diopter of an SLC HD changing during the course of using the binocular; "migrating" or "drifting" so to speak.

I've read other complaints about Swarovskis, focusing difficulties but this is the first time that I can remember seeing a complaint about their diopter mechanism which is a part of the focus wheel. I even recall you making complimentary comments on the ease with which the diopter can be changed on the SLC.

What do you think is happening here? I believe these were the old model SLC.

Bob

Bob:

The diopter problems on the SLC HD seem to be a concern, but remember
that this is a new design, and it has an entirely different construction than the previous SLC model.

That may be a very good reason why Swarovski has now simplified it and now we have the changes made, in the new SLC 42mm.

I have recently spent some time with my 10x50 SLC Neu, and really do
appreciate its light gathering, and I appreciate the great view every time I
use it.

I suppose that this would be a good time for us to stomp our feet and
demand a response from Swarovski. ;)

Jerry

Bob:

The diopter problems on the SLC HD seem to be a concern, but remember
that this is a new design, and it has an entirely different construction than the previous SLC model.

That may be a very good reason why Swarovski has now simplified it and now we have the changes made, in the new SLC 42mm.

I have recently spent some time with my 10x50 SLC Neu, and really do
appreciate its light gathering, and I appreciate the great view every time I
use it.

I suppose that this would be a good time for us to stomp our feet and
demand a response from Swarovski. ;)

Jerry

Jerry,

I think the one he got rid of was the SLC HD which was phased out for the new model. He couldn't get a replacement because EO was sold out so he went with the EL Swarovision.

I don't know how long that SLC HD was sold by Swarovski. I thought it was just the old SLC Neu with HD glass added along with a new cosmetic exterior. I don't think there were any problems with the SLC Neu's diopter.

Bob

My old boss had a saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Swarovski's old "push and turn" SLC diopter was the best I've ever tried. I don't know why they felt the need to make a more complex focusing and diopter mechanism like the EL.

Diopter drift was also a common complaint with the original Nikon EDG, and the early production focusers were a total mess, they would disengage and just spin. Most of the EDG Is went back to Nikon and were replaced with EDG IIs.

As Jerry mentioned, this is a new mechanism for the SLC, so they probably had "bugs" to work out, but IMO, the time to work out the bugs is in the prototypes not in the production models. Ditto for the EDG I.

Like James said, when you pluck down $2K, you should expect a fully functional pair of binoculars right out of the box.

Some will say, well, binoculars are complex. Well, yeah, more complex than a banana, but not nearly as complex as an automobile. Can you imagined if Lexus or Infinity or BMW turned out cars that broke down the first time you took them for a ride? JD Powers' phones would be ringing off the hook! Sports Optics needs something like JD Powers, an initial quality rating, but also something like Car & Drivers long tests where they drive a car for six months to a year and then report on its reliablity and "bugs" that crept up during that time.

With all the qualities that are measured on sites such as allbinos, the one thing that isn't measured or rated is reliability, particularly over time.

That's one reason why I never jump on anything new, be it binoculars or software or the latest i-gadget. There are always "bugs" to work out and "fixes" to be applied the first time around. The other reason is that bins are cheaper on the used market. Just look at my 8x30 EII ad!

<B>

I'm frankly shocked at the number of defective ''out-of-the-box'' alpha bins we hear about lately, and that includes the Conquest HD.

Really, for more than a grand [in some cases, nearly two!] how hard is it to properly design the thing and then inspect before they go out the door? I would be put off with a $50.00 bubble-wrapped Bushnell failing in the 1st day of use - disgusted with something costing 20 times that amount.

For me, totally unacceptable.

It's the new business model demanded by company shareholders, the customer is now quality control.

That was the marketing invention from Bushnell since the fifties.
It's triple tested! It went through the hand of the manufacturer, Bushnells and than the customer.

Read Peter Abrahams interview with David Bushnell. A fantastic story!

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back