• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A reassessment of Iteravis huchzermeyeri and Gansus zheni (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Shu-bin Ju, Xu-ri Wang, Yi-chuan Liu & Yang Wang, 2021

A reassessment of Iteravis huchzermeyeri and Gansus zheni from the Jehol Biota in western Liaoning, China.

China Geology 4(2): 197-204.
doi: 10.31035/cg2020066
http://chinageology.cgs.cn/article/doi/10.31035/cg2020066

Free pdf:
https://www.xml-journal.cn/pdfonline2/pdf/contentview/c4ac21356ea764d37f0e56354ca0209e1c05f8427bb0188982ebfb57e21c0cd1/cg2020066_suggest.pdf

Abstract:

The authors reassessed the taxonomic distinction of Iteravis huchzermeyeri and Gansus zheni, which are two species of Ornithuromorpha based on specimens from the same locality in western Liaoning and derive from the Jehol Biota. The detailed comparisons of the holotype and referred specimens of both species, reveal no anatomical features that distinguish these taxa as separate species. Some minor differences are considered to relate to ontogenetic or interspecific differences. The stratigraphic occurrence for both specimens is the Lower Cretaceous Jiufotang Formation. Accordingly, the authors conclude that Iteravis huchzermeyeri has priority, by 15 days, for this taxon and that Gansus zheni is a junior synonym. The diagnosis of Iteravis huchzermeyeri is revised based on further study on all specimens referred to this species. Its generic distinction from Gansus is maintained thereby removing a potential genus-level correlation linking Xiagou Formation in Gansu Province with the Jiufotang Formation in Liaoning Province.

Enjoy,

Fred

Comment:

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

"This has been obvious ever since both were described, but more importantly, the authors got the direction of synonymy wrong for the species." As I wrote- "Iteravis was published online October 29th 2014 vs. zheni on November 14th 2014. Yet Zhou et al. didn't include a ZooBank registration. So the physical publication time is what counts, which is December 1. Thus zheni wins by 30 days."

Fred.

I agree that zheni appears to have precedence. Yet, by my count, November 14 to December 1 isn't 30 days...
Was Iteravis really published on 1 Dec ? It was in the last 2014 issue of the journal, which was the third to be published in Dec according to the publisher's website.
(I'd be interested in the exact date, should it be known with certainty -- and the evidence it is based on.)

Last edited:
I agree that zheni appears to have precedence. Yet, by my count, November 14 to December 1 isn't 30 days...
Was Iteravis really published on 1 Dec ? It was in the last 2014 issue of the journal, which was the third to be published in Dec according to the publisher's website.
(I'd be interested in the exact date, should it be known with certainty -- and the evidence it is based on.)
According to A new species from an ornithuromorph (Aves: Ornithothoraces) dominated locality of the Jehol Biota

Cite this article​

Zhou, S., O’Connor, J.K. & Wang, M. A new species from an ornithuromorph (Aves: Ornithothoraces) dominated locality of the Jehol Biota. Chin. Sci. Bull. 59, 5366–5378 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11434-014-0669-8

Download citation

• Received 10 July 2014
  • Accepted 16 September 2014
  • Published 29 October 2014
I don't know wherher 29 October 2014 is the publishing date of the pdf or the printed version.

Fred

I don't know wherher 29 October 2014 is the publishing date of the pdf or the printed version.
The journal issue included three papers that are presented as "published" on 5 Nov, two of which are ahead of the Iteravis paper in the issue. Physical publication was certainly not on 29 Oct.
In the paper itself (free here), we are told "Received: 10 July 2014 / Accepted: 16 September 2014 / Published online: 29 October 2014".

The issue is dated "December 2014" on Spinger's website. (In nomenclature, this means 31 Dec 2014, unless there is evidence for an earlier date.)

Last edited:
It is nice to see both "species":

Fig. 1. Photograph of the skull of Iteravis huchzermeyeri IVPP V18958 (a) (under normal light) and Gansus zheni BMNHC-Ph 1318 (b) (under UV lamp). prm–premaxilla; m–maxilla; d–dentary; t–teeth; hy–hyoid; l–lacrimal; eth–ethmoid; sa–surangular; q–quadrate; f–frontal

Fig. 2. Photograph of the thoracic girdle and sternum of Iteravis huchzermeyeri IVPP V18958 (a) and Gansus zheni BMNHC-Ph 1342 (b);
Photograph of the thoracic girdle of Gansus yumensensis (c); Photograph of the sternum of Gansus yumensensis (d). fu–furcula; co–coracoid;
sc–scapula; st–sternum; k–keel; lap–laterodistal process; g–gastroliths.

Fred

Attachments

• Iteravis.jpg
    Iteravis.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Iteravis-2.jpg
    Iteravis-2.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 2
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back