• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A relatively uneventful week in The Netherlands and Germany (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Apologies in advance for anyone expecting a high-octane report filled with masses of interesting birds, the main reason for our trip was to catch up with family and friends who couldn't make it to our wedding last year - as a result, most birding was incidental or opportunistic at best, though it was pleasant to be reacquainted with some of the species found on mainland Europe that are either absent or notable in the UK.

Day 1 (Schiphol to Groningen)
The one "spare" day for the duration of the trip, sadly foiled by high winds and plenty of rain upon arrival in The Netherlands. Following some kind advise offered here, we headed for Nationaal Park Lauwersmeer, with the only species of note en-route being White tailed eagle, White stork and a single Great egret. upon arrival at Lauwersmeer we were greeted by 40mph + winds, doing little to aid with birding, with my first Swallows of the year hawking over the lake, and a handful of singing Chiffchaff. A very distant Marsh harrier was quatering over the reedbed, and a few Gadwall were associated with Mallard and Tufted duck on the water body. After some 45mins of being buffeted by the wind, we decided to continue on towards Groningen. A few Hare and Roe deer were noted along the journey, with occasional Lapwing displaying in fields. A very brief stop at a fuel station next to a flooded field added the first White wagtail and Caspian gull to proceedings.

Day 2 (Groningen)
Our second day was spent visiting friends in the city, with the only notable sightings being the first Black redstart of the trip, another bizarre sight of a pair of vocal Oystercatcher which were seemingly holding territory atop a block of flats.

Day 3 (Groningen to Bielefeld)
Another fairly long and uneventful day in the car, with a couple of flyover Great egret the main highlight. In the afternoon we visited Heimat-Tierpark Olderdissen, which was the only opportunity for any birding, and was surprisingly good. A pair of vocal Middle spotted woodpecker were the obvious standout, whilst other species of interest included the first Hawfinch, Firecrest, Brambling and Short toed treecreeper. The remainder of the day was spent with family and wandering around the city, with a small group of  Hawfinch passing over our accommodation en-route to a nearby roost.

Day 4 (Bielefeld)
Another pleasant if uneventful day in terms of birding, with an hour early doors spent in a small park near to our accommodation providing good views of common birds including Bullfinch, Siskin and a bathing Sparrowhawk, whilst a wander around Sparrenburg Castle in the afternoon found further sightings of Hawfinch, Short toed treecreeper and Firecrest.

So far it had been a pleasant if somewhat underwhelming (at least from a birding perspective) few days, but things were set to improve somewhat as we continued east to our penultimate destination of the lovely old city of Minden.

Last edited:
Day 5 (Bielefeld to Minden)
After an evening drive to Minden, I had hoped that the following morning would allow for a few hours birding before catching up with family.
A quick Google search flagged up an old quarry south of Neesen which I quite fancied for Eagle Owl, however upon arrival it quickly became evident that the access road was for military personnel only. Undeterred, I opted for an unassuming road at Parkplatz Am Levernsiek where I could explore the forest. This proved to be a great option, with the forest here alive with common woodland species; Jay, Chaffinch, Brambling, Siskin, Nuthatch, Firecrest, Fieldfare, Greater spotted and Green woodpeckers, Blackcap and Chiffchaff were abundant, whilst Hawfinch called and sang from what seemed like every other tree. It was also good to catch up with the continental variant of Long tailed tit (europaeus). Whist trying to get a sound recording of Short toed treecreeper a very loud hammering caught my attention. Casting my mind back to my time in Poland when I earned the nickname of Woodpecker Whistler Watson, I let rip my loudest and best whistle, with the electric reaction of a magnificent male Black woodpecker bounding over the treetops before alighting atop a particularly hammered spruce tree just 20 or so meters away - result, and a fine way to end the morning.
We had booked a pleasant medieval house in the centre, and the brief walk through the woodland south of Fischerglacis found good numbers of calling Hawfinch as well as a couple of singing Short toed treecreeper and surprisingly (at least given the relatively urban environment) at least two pairs of Marsh tit.
The remaining part of the day was again spent consuming large amounts of cake and coffee, before enjoying some local beer in the evening.

Note: I've got to board the plane now, will try to write up the last full day later.

I just read somewhere (TW: Gobly-gobly language) that there are actually quite a few Oystercatchers that breed in the gravel on flat roofs in cities. I'd guess most likely a consequence of the loss of habitat.
I guess the main reason is that gravel roofs are safe against predators. As the parents feed their young (a rarity in waders), this is a successful strategy.
The pair breeding closest to me also uses a roof!

Interesting, thanks both. I was impressed by the number of roofs with gravel type substrate in Holland and Germany - I even noted one house with a plastic lapwing on top, perhaps a bit ambitious, but you never know. Are LRP known to breed on roofs?

Interesting, thanks both. I was impressed by the number of roofs with gravel type substrate in Holland and Germany - I even noted one house with a plastic lapwing on top, perhaps a bit ambitious, but you never know. Are LRP known to breed on roofs?
Yes there are reports from breeding LRP on roofs in Germany. But it is not common.

Day 6 (Minden)
The final full day was again mostly set aside for family commitments and travel, however I had been relived of any duties before lunch, allowing me a few hours of dedicated birding time. I was a bit unsure of where to go, so rather than returning to the excellent woodland south of Minden, I opted to start my day at Lahder Marsch. There had been a few interesting reports from the site in recent days, but unfortunately it was rather quite during my visit. At least five Great egret were foraging around the fringes of the lake, whilst assembled wildfowl included Greylag, Canada and Egyptian geese, Gadwall, Mallard, Tufted duck and a single Goosander. A nearby belt of trees held a brooding White stork, whilst both Willow warbler and Blackcap were new for the year, and desperately trying to provide some perception of spring despite the sub-zero temperatures!
Having decided that my time would be better spent in woodlands, the next port of call was Wietser Teiche, where I had hoped to follow the road north-east through the forest. Unfortunately I was met with a sign where the only words I understood were "private" and "forbidden", so I decided to do a quick circuit of the lake. This area was less productive, though another Black woodpecker was calling somewhere off in the distance, whilst a Woodlark sang from a clearing. A few Marsh tit and further Hawfinch and Brambling (including a pristine male) along with a fine singing Black redstart on some farm buildings were the only other notable species in an hour or so of wandering.
I still had some time, so opted for another road, and purely on-spec, decided to try a fairly ambiguous track north of the Mittellandkanal just west of Meinsen. This proved to be an unexpected stroke of genius, and in the following hour I enjoyed extended (and often excellent) views of Green, Greater, Middle and Lesser spotted woodpeckers, making for a five woodpecker morning - not bad! The Middle spotted were particularly vocal, with a male giving the raptor like announcing call from the otherside of the canal, before flying directly overhead and drumming in some trees, fantastic! The Lesser spotted woodpeckers were also particularly showy, and I enjoyed views to less than 10 meters as they called and drummed directly overhead - for any local birders, the woodland close to shooting hide (?) No. 18 was particularly productive, with no less than three males calling within earshot.
A singing Crested tit was a very welcome addition, and was my first encounter with the species since I had last been in Bavaria some five or so years ago. A few Siskin, Hawfinch and Firecrest were also present, as were several Short-toed treecreeper - again, all fairly common species, but always enjoyable to study behaviour and get better views than previously. As the sun began to work on the temperatures, both Goshawk and a beautiful cream-coloured Common buzzard made brief appearances, whilst a Red admiral was the only butterfly of the trip.

The remainder of the trip was once again spent alternating between consuming large quantities of coffee and cake, and undertaking the return journey to Schipol, with a late arrival at our accommodation in Amersfoot curtailing any further opportunity for birding.

Our next break is just 8 weeks away, and although it will be our honeymoon I'm hoping there will be better opportunities for some birding, and maybe even some more coffee and cake!

Nice account and some good birds Daniel, thanks for sharing! Belated congratulations to you both, and I look forward to hearing about the honeymoon (at least the birding parts ;))!

Chris

Nice account and some good birds Daniel, thanks for sharing! Belated congratulations to you both, and I look forward to hearing about the honeymoon (at least the birding parts ;))!

Chris
Thanks for the kind words and sentiment Chris, much appreciated. Very lucky to be heading to Singapore and Palawan for three weeks, the OH is prepared for me to be absent every morning and several evenings already!

Thanks for the kind words and sentiment Chris, much appreciated. Very lucky to be heading to Singapore and Palawan for three weeks, the OH is prepared for me to be absent every morning and several evenings already!
Sounds like you've bagged yourself a good'un! 😆 Enjoy the trip, sounds amazing!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back