• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A week on Mull (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
A couple of Blog posts to start my trip report, for our break on Mull, I've got literally thousands of pics to sort through so there will be a bit of a lag on my posts!! Firstly our journey up from Sussex, fairly uneventful a few Red Kites along the M40, we dipped the Waxwings in Carlisle but managed to catch up with some in Scotland. Day 2 was rain all day, The ferry journey was quite good with some Great Northern Divers, a nice winter plumage Black Guillemot, Guillemots, Kittiwakes and some Common Gulls. We had a bit of a drive around before we lost the light, finding a Dipper near our accommodation in Dervaig! A few more pics on the Blog at the link

Journey to Mull

559A3631.JPG

559A3871.JPG

So first full day, grey and misty but at least not much rain!! Was pretty successful with 2 Otters seen, a Ringtail Hen Harrier, Slav Grebe and several Waterfalls the highlights.

559A5384.JPG.jpg
559A4148.JPG.jpg

Bit rainy here at the moment, so caught up a bit with the Blog, though still a few days behind. Our second full day on Mull, found an Eagle but was miles up in the sky, another Otter showed alright, but the highlights were the Divers, with all three species you'd expect in the area seen, still trying to turn one of the many Great Northerns into a White-billed but no luck yet. An interesting sighting was a group of Seven GND feeding together, not seen this before, even though there maybe loads in an area they always seem to keep their distance from each other. These were very much together, saw them feeding for about ten minutes like this, is it normal behaviour? Lot more pics on the Blog at the link, though the light, wind and lack of skill means the standard is poor. Black-throated Diver and the Gang of seven picture below!

559A6894.JPG

559A7614.JPG

So our adventure on Mull continues, the weather on Tuesday was a bit more favourable and the Raptors took advantage. Multiple sightings of both Eagles, a male Hen Harrier, sadly distant, numerous Buzzards, flock of Common Scoter, big group of Slav Grebes and lots of Divers the main highlights!! Pics of all the above on the blog at the link, The weather weren't so great as to make my pics look good but I done my best! There's a lot of silhouettes :ROFLMAO:

559A9385.JPG
559A8989.JPG

Back home now, catching up on Blog posts, this one was from Wednesday, very windy and rainy, spent too much on chocolate and watched an Otter in Tobermory Harbour, Hen Harrier was blown past as we drove back to base but a day spent resting. Forecast is better for the rest of the week! Short blog post and a few pics of the Otter on the blog at the link!!

559A9976.JPG

Continuing with the week's events, the weather was improving and sightings improved a lot last Thursday, starting with a Hen Harrier past the window as I was eating Breakfast, which is always a good start! Considering how windy it was, I was pleasantly surprised by the Hen Harrier action we had with a male hunting roadside and a Ringtail nearly knocking my head off as I was trying to winkle out a Brambling from a big Chaffinch flock !! WTE close encounter and a Dipper that nearly came in the car the other main highlights another cracking day on Mull. Loads more pics on the Blog at the link.

559A1711.JPG

559A0796.JPG

Our last full day on Mull, over a week ago now😢 A day of Eagles and Otters, much improved weather brought the Eagles out, with 7 in the bins at once at one stop!!! Great encounter with Otters, with a mother and cub which was mostly aural, but got some great views in the end!! Add in plenty of Divers, nice views of a Black Guillemot, Whooper Swans and the fabulous scenery all in a another great day! Lot more pics on the blog at the link!

559A2821.JPG

559A1842.JPG

The journey home from Mull, 13 hours!! Decent ferry crossing with a Pod of what I think were Common Dolphins, couple of Black Guillemots and the scenery in nice light the highlights. Has been a very enjoyable trip, Eagles and Otters the highlights, but Hen Harriers and Divers, etc a good supporting cast! More pics on the blog!

559A4118.JPG

Yes hopefully we will be back, quicker than 20 Years. Probably will go during the spring next time!!! Though possibly not next year!!
I love Mull, I've visited many times over the years and visited again in 2019 and had a great time. One of the highlights was the Staffa Tours which visited Lunga in the Treshnish Islands and then Staffa and Fingals Cave. Great day out!

Staffa Tours

Treshnish Islands - Lunga

Yes unfortunately due to the time of year, not much was running but if we get there again will hope to do some of those trips!!
Understand. In May you can stroke the Puffins they’re that close. I heard of another tour that‘s great for the White-tailed Eagle which I think sails around Loch na Keal where’s there’s a WT Eagles nest on the North Shore and a Golden Eagles nest opposite on the South Shore. 👍

I love Mull, I've visited many times over the years and visited again in 2019 and had a great time. One of the highlights was the Staffa Tours which visited Lunga in the Treshnish Islands and then Staffa and Fingals Cave. Great day out!

Staffa Tours

Treshnish Islands - Lunga

I spent a week in Mull with Discover the World many years ago. Had a full day land safari, a free day to ourselves and three full days out on a boat whale watching. The latter really made the trip, I loved it. Loads and loads of Common Dolphins, Minke Whales and Harbour Porpoises on each trip, and we got to visit the Treshnish Isles and the Cairns of Coll too. We used Sealife Surveys who I think still operate out of Tobermory. Highly recommended, but obviously more for the summer months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back