• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Request For Help (1 Viewer)

Upland Birder

Birding On The Edge
Hi all,

I have received this email today and thought you may be able to help with the request. In the interests of bird species as well as other important issues we need to raise our objections.

Dean:t:

Please help Stop Mull of Kintyre Wind Farm – visit www.stopmullofkintyrewindfarm.com

Dear all,

Sadly, once again, AWF request your help in objecting to another badly sited wind farm in Argyll. This time the proposal is for a 16 turbine wind farm, located only 12km from and directly above the road leading to the Mull of Kintyre (immortalised in song by Paul McCartney).

Visual Impact: The site on Kilchattan Hill (NR721118 GB Grid) by WPR wind is particularly insensitive. The turbines, each 81metres high, would be visible in the northern skyline from Southend, most of the lower land to the south and the road to the Mull. All turbines would be fully visible from the important archeological sites at Blast Hill and Machriemore, and the site of the infamous 1647 massacre at Dunaverty. It seems sacrilegious to ruin such an important part of the historic Scottish landscape.

Ornithology: The site is an area of high biodiversity. It is covered in nesting sites for Skylark and Meadow pipit and the developers own surveys show it crossed by flights of: Whooper Swan, Black Grouse, Golden Plover, Peregrine, Short Eared Owl, Merlin & Hen harriers.

Objecting: It is essential that those who can, will stand up and be counted, otherwise we will see one more nail in the coffin of historic Argyll. You can object via our dedicated website or by letter to the planning department at the address below. Using the website you can object in a few minutes using tick boxes. To avoid accusations of proforma letters, we would ask you write even a few words in the objection comments box.

Please visit www.stopmullofkintyrewindfarm.com and save a piece of Historic Scotland

All web based objections from an Argyll, Bute or Arran address will be sent directly to the planners. To save Argyll & Bute council time & money, all objections from outside these areas will be collated and submitted by AWF as a single petition. In this way, we can register your objection while avoiding the need for our council to send out paperwork to addresses across the globe.

With kind regards and continued thanks for your support

Andrew Russell
Chairman AWF

Letters to Argyll & Bute Planners should state ‘I object to Kilchattan wind farm’ and be sent to:
Richard Kerr
Area Team Leader Development Control
Mid Argyll, Islay & Kintyre
67 Chalmers Street
Ardrishaig
Argyll PA30 8DX

Me too, hope it helps.

Great to see that you posted your objection. I hope there will be more BF members posting objections on here. It is really important in terms of promoting the protection of wild birds which will be at risk if this goes ahead.

This is just one of the many UK windfarm applications that are being made at present and those making the applications don't care aboout wild birds, the destruction of wild habitat or the visual impact.

Stachain and Kilchattan Wind Farm

Hi all,

I have received this email today from AWF Windfarm protestors who still need our support and there is some encouraging news:t:

The wild birds of the area and the landscape need our support. Perhaps more BF members can add their objections to the campaign to help AWF to double up the numbers of objections that have been made so far.

Here is the email information:-

Subject: Stacain Wind Farm 'called in' by Ministers
To: AWF contacts

Dear all,

Stacain Wind Farm:
We are delighted to let you know that Stacain Wind Farm, which was approved by Argyll and Bute council in December 2007, has been 'called in' by Scottish Ministers for determination. We believe the 'call in' is primarily due to the threat to the areas very important Golden Eagle population and FYI, the Scottish Government planners note to Avich and Kilchrenan community council is attached.

Although too late to be formally recongised, your objections were presented to the planners by the community council and they really appreciate your support. As a result of the 'call in', the final decision has now been taken out of Argyll & Bute Councils hands and a public local inquiry will probably take place later this year. We will keep you informed of developments.

Kilchattan Wind Farm:

AWF understand Argyll and Bute Planners are unhappy about the proximity to homes, tourist attractions and transport routes of this proposal. SNH are also concerned about bird strikes (the developer is the same as at Stacain) and they have asked for more studies. To date around 500 people have objected to this 'Landscape horror' and there is still time for you to lodge a timely objection. You can do this in a couple of minutes at the dedicated MullofKintyre website. We would like to double the number of objectors and we do really need everyones help.

You can object to Kilchattan wind farm online at www.stopmullofkintyrewindfarm.com

Thank You,
Alan Stobie
On behalf of AWF's Directors

I've only just found that same email languishing in my span filter. How it got there rather than my in-box I don't know, but it's now back where it belongs.

Objection sent, along with comments this evening.

I've only just found that same email languishing in my span filter. How it got there rather than my in-box I don't know, but it's now back where it belongs.

Objection sent, along with comments this evening.

Hi Alan and Mark,

Thanks for raising your objections. Its the only thing we can do to try and protect our wild birds and habitat.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back