• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

Olaf mentions this incident in his latest blog post as well.

http://olafsbigyear.blogspot.co.uk/

It does too, although he's referring to staying on the path rather than anything else ... bizarre.

And in the latest blog post (the 'dog one' I thought you were referring to) he also alludes to big thunderstorms in Texas, which was another scene in that movie - they all hightailed it down to High Island where 2 of the 3 just missed a Pink-footed Goose which flew north ... (is that even on the Texas list?!)

Edit: nope, apparently not.

Last edited:
Noted. I don't tend to see a statement expressing uncertainty of calls as inexperience or a lack of ability, more a reflection of the difficulty of sound identification. I've known several exceptional birders on calls who would all speak up on possible calls but not claim them with certainty.

Agree, Paul. There is also a group of less-experienced birders that often think they hear birds when in reality they are just guessing, or unaware of other contending species. I'm certainly not saying Olaf is in this group though.

Also noted on experience. I am surprised by your suggestion that lack of experience on the continent was not a disadvantage. I was surprised by the fact that some of the commoner species were seen later in the year by John rather than incidentally earlier as part of his daily birding.

I have no idea about their relative abilities and I note your comments about John's modesty but I would ordinarily assume that someone who has been birding for less than a decade would be at a disadvantage on a fresh continent in identifying over 750 species of which the majority would be new species for him:

John is clearly the less experienced of the two when it comes to birding in North America. However, it's seems clear now that John's lifetime of finding reptiles, frogs and spiders, targeting habitats etc have given him skills that are directly transferrable to birding. I also made this transition from reptiles to birds. Birds sing and fly, reptiles don't - so he must certainly be finding birds a much simpler group of animals to search for in many ways.

As you are clearly aware, twitching and building big lists is not difficult if you have the time, money and gen (which he has). Like others have stated - eBird has made it very easy for twitchers to chase birds. Finding birds on their own is obviously something very different, with much more developed skills needed, but John has probably had to do little of this so far this year. For a birder close to 750 in mid-July, he certainly doesn't seem to be disadvantaged.

Cheers,

Nigel

Agree, Paul. There is also a group of less-experienced birders that often think they hear birds when in reality they are just guessing, or unaware of other contending species. I'm certainly not saying Olaf is in this group though.

John is clearly the less experienced of the two when it comes to birding in North America. However, it's seems clear now that John's lifetime of finding reptiles, frogs and spiders, targeting habitats etc have given him skills that are directly transferrable to birding. I also made this transition from reptiles to birds. Birds sing and fly, reptiles don't - so he must certainly be finding birds a much simpler group of animals to search for in many ways.

As you are clearly aware, twitching and building big lists is not difficult if you have the time, money and gen (which he has). Like others have stated - eBird has made it very easy for twitchers to chase birds. Finding birds on their own is obviously something very different, with much more developed skills needed, but John has probably had to do little of this so far this year. For a birder close to 750 in mid-July, he certainly doesn't seem to be disadvantaged.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel

Again noted. I've known a number of people who have transferred their skills from one group of wildlife to another. The reality is that for each group of wildlife familiarity and experience lies at the heart of successful identification.

When I started getting into moths, a friend who was a decade ahead of me said - 'there's no substitute but to see a @@@@load of moths'. I am talking in that regard about field rather than lab identification.

Interestingly, I know several leading experts in other fields that are converted birdwatchers.

Of course, twitching is not difficult most of the time and list accumulation if it is just that is the same. But just as I am sure different families of reptiles move in certain ways so do birds and that lone brief identification will be assisted by experience. Similarly, you get used to looking for key identification features in different ways.

Please ignore me. I'm probably prejudiced as I've never understood how people can wait to get into birds until later in life as they have been my passion throughout mine - despite always being interested in all forms of wildlife - and because it is such a popular hobby, it does become more of a community experience. I suspect that is a British thing as when I was growing up, birds were the most diverse easily accessible group of wildlife. I just read with interest how unusually diverse Australian reptiles are so in John's context I understand a bit better.

It is very clear that John is tireless, dedicated, determined and resourceful and will be successful in his quest. I wish him every success. I have no doubt he will twitch until midnight on New Year's Eve.

All the best

Last edited:
yeah that opening post in that thread is pretty weird. It came across less as a valid criticism of Olaf and more as someone with a beef against him posting anonymously. Especially since the poster almost seems like he only joined so he could start that thread (only 15 posts in his entire history in that user account).

Hoping Joe will be along with his spreadsheet as I can never get Christians lists to add up!! I'm only getting 688 on mine.

I reckon that according to his website, he still needs at least 7 Code 1's:-
Ruffed Grouse
Cory's Shearwater
Great Shearwater
Audubon's Shearwater
Wilson's Storm-Petrel
Calliope Hummingbird
MacGillivray's Warbler

He also needs 32 Code 2's:-
Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay
Himalayan Snowcock
Gray Partridge
Spruce Grouse
White-tailed Ptarmigan
Dusky Grouse
Sooty Grouse
Greater Prairie-Chicken
Black-capped Petrel
Buller's Shearwater
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel
Black Storm-Petrel
Yellow Rail
Mountain Plover
Dovekie
Scripps's Murrelet
Thayer's Gull
Iceland Gull
Bridled Tern
Northern Hawk Owl
Great Gray Owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Black Swift
American Three-toed Woodpecker
Black-backed Woodpecker
Island Scrub-Jay
Northern Wheatear
Common Myna
Smith's Longspur
McCown's Longspur
McKay's Bunting
White-winged Crossbill

All the best

Last edited:
John hit California next, 3 more added -

But Ross's Goose? A genuine (eg injured, thus unable to migrate), or dodgy bird?

I've seen these Ross's Geese before...there are several SoCal parks that have a few individuals that hang out with the Swan Geese and feral-ish Canada. I imagine they were wild birds that decided to adopt a sedentary lifestyle, but who knows? It does seem slightly dodgy, but I'm not sure what the local feeling is on their "countability" (although I can say that California birders are often strict about such matters)...

Yeah sometimes Ross's Geese linger around. I don't see that as a particular problem, as I don't think Ross' Geese is exactly a popular aviary bird in California.

John hit California next, 3 more added -

http://www.birdingfordevils.com/p/this-is-listing-of-species-so-far.html

But Ross's Goose? A genuine (eg injured, thus unable to migrate), or dodgy bird?

( http://ebird.org/ebird/map/rosgoo?n...=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=on&bmo=7&emo=7&yr=cur, zoom in to enable locations/checklists to be seen.)

Locations certainly look rather dodgy. I remember a Lesser Whitefronted Goose appearing in such a Park in Germany in a winter and staying. Origin still unknown but presumable Escape and went into Cat. E here.

Ross's is not an uncommon bird in California, from my experience. I really wouldn't worry much about the "countability". It's not like he was counting a Barnacle goose or something from the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back