• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

From Paul's Icelandic link above Iceland has 9 records, you'd presume of British yarrelli ones caught up in migrating flocks of alba perhaps?

Looks to be the same plumage as the FL bird, but almost all records I have seen from Florida (there are 1-2 per year), are also juvs. The photos of the bird Olaf saw are not clear enough to see fine details.

Andy

Laura cleaned up White-winged Crossbill in Alaska, but did not get Gray-headed Chickadee. She got Ross's Goose and the Fork-tailed Flycatcher; Christian got the flycatcher, too.

Joe

John was birding.

There was nothing ninja like, nor sneaky about his behaviour. He is a tireless, tenacious and intense birder. He had never planned to post blogs until later in the year when he had slowed down some.

John is a friendly, although slightly shy person. He was awarded the Order of Australia (similar to being knighted) and I had known him for several years before I knew that and I learned it from someone else. He never brings it up. He is generous to a fault with people and other birders, and shares information and resources freely. He is extremely well respected by the Australian birding community and many who know him in the international birding community.

In my opinion, the unfortunate nature of Olaf's early blogs (and comments) regarding John, set the tone for any relationship they might develop. But who knows. It is up to them.

In the context of the last few big year attempts, it's been the status quo to be pretty open about carrying them out, and also to submit records to ebird and such. I think John's secrecy and his lack of contribution to ebird have not made his attempt come off well to a lot of ABA area birders.

Looks to be the same plumage as the FL bird, but almost all records I have seen from Florida (there are 1-2 per year), are also juvs. The photos of the bird Olaf saw are not clear enough to see fine details.

Andy

Andy

Have you got a link to the photos?

All the best

It isn't about the competition aspect; someone mentioned that their personalities don't mesh, and I think that's about an accurate of a description as I could muster.
Someone else was entirely correct, though: John, Laura & Christian get along great, and Olaf, Laura & Christian get along great. As far as I know there aren't any "Olaf cliques" and/or "John cliques." Which is good.

Joe

just out of interest -

1 Olaf Danielson 410 770 (88.3%) Ruddy Ground-Dove (Nov 4, 2016)
2 Laura Keene 418 745 (85.44%) Ross's Goose (Nov 8, 2016)
3 Christian Hagenlocher 662 740 (84.86%) Fork-tailed Flycatcher (Nov 8, 2016)
4 Roger Clark 381 618 (70.87%) Amazon Kingfisher (Oct 31, 2016)
5 Warren Leow 165 615 (70.53%) Le Conte's Sparrow (Nov 5, 2016)
5 Karen Leow 120 615 (70.53%) Le Conte's Sparrow (Nov 5, 2016)
7 David McQuade 907 612 (70.18%) Le Conte's Sparrow (Nov 9, 2016)
7 Tammy McQuade 665 612 (70.18%) Le Conte's Sparrow (Nov 9, 2016)

ABA ebirder top100 (Where's John - thought he was going on at some stage? ;) )

To answer an earlier question of mine it doesn't look like R Clarke will be scooting up the leaderboard any. Two birding couples, 3 birds apart, and last one happens to be the same species. That could be an interesting competition!

No public acknowledgement from either Olaf or John of getting the Fork-tailed Flycatcher, which has--in very un-Fork-Tailed fashion--been present for a week in Michigan. I feel like they've both gotten it but, perhaps for the final run, have moved into stealth mode? Seems weird for a highly-publicized bird.

No public acknowledgement from either Olaf or John of getting the Fork-tailed Flycatcher, which has--in very un-Fork-Tailed fashion--been present for a week in Michigan. I feel like they've both gotten it but, perhaps for the final run, have moved into stealth mode? Seems weird for a highly-publicized bird.

That'll be because they both connected with one earlier in the year ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back