• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abandoned Brown Thrasher (1 Viewer)

Ekennedy8561

United States
Hi all,
I am new to the site but I have been researching daily and found it so hopefully I can get some feedback and positive replies. I found, what I presume was a newly hatched Brown Thrasher on the ground under a bush at my house. It had no feathers, eyes were closed. It was laying on its side but alive so I placed it back in its nest. I watched from a distance for a while never saw parents. There were no other babies to be found. I left it for the entire day. That night it was chilly so I went to peek at the baby. It was barely breathing I felt the baby and it was ice cold. I knew parents had not been back so I made the decision to get it warm. I put it on a container with a heating pad underneath and after it warmed up it was begging for food. I contacted the only bird rehabber I could find and she said to put it back in the nest. She declined to take the baby. I also called my local vet who cares for “exotic” animals and they told me to let nature take its course. My heart would not allow me to put this baby back to freeze. I have had it for a week now and have researched on how/what to feed etc. it seems to be doing well. It is alert but cannot stand up yet. I am trying to see if it appears to look like it is growing well and how I should proceed to make sure it can survive on its own once ready. Any advice is helpful as long as it is positive please!! IMG_9207.jpegIMG_9263.jpegIMG_9264.jpegIMG_9265.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back