• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abberant Reed warbler? East Yorkshire, UK. 18.5.22 (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

As per the title, my understanding from previous experience of singing Marsh and Blyth's reed (the latter somewhat limited admittedly) is that this must be an abberant Reed warbler - the typical "chonky", plodding tempo song was also heard, but some of this is quite far beyond what I've heard Reed warbler produce before. The longer recordings contain a standard sounding reed warbler too, and you can hear this individual switch back to the expected song type in these.

Do I need to get out more?!

Bird was seen in a ditch adjacent to scrub, and was singing from phragmites, not ruderal vegetation. It was definitely an unstreaked acro, but I couldn't get detail on the primaries or colour of the upperparts.

Hello Daniel,

I agree with you, its a Reed Warbler. Adding to the points you mentioned against a Marsh Wabler (I agree with those too9; i add that many Marsh Warbler seems to sing faster= with grater speed than your Reed Warbler.

And its an interesting bird with quite fast and variegated intermezzos. Tfs!

Hello again Daniel,

your second question is more difficult imo.

"Do I need to get out more?!"

If that mean that you have the feeling, that you need more experience, than my answer is: no.
I have learned much from your experience. Thanks for that!

But if you need reasons/excuses for more birding time, then my answer is: yes. And it might well be the better answer, because we will surely get more helpful and interesting comments and contributions from you.

Hello again Daniel,

If that mean that you have the feeling, that you need more experience, than my answer is: no.

But if you need reasons/excuses for more birding time, then my answer is: yes. And it might well be the better answer, because we will surely get more helpful and interesting comments and contributions from you.
Do I need to get out more?!

Alexander - this is an expression of rhetorical colloquial humour :)
In the same vein as 'Do I need to get a life?'.

Hello again Daniel,

Alex, that is very generous of you, thank you for your kind comment.
I am afraid I disagree with the first part of your reply - you can never have enough experience ;)

I am however in complete agreement with you on the second part, with a forthcoming wedding, two dogs and a busy job, it seems like birding is very much at a premium these days!

Alles gute und danke für den gesundheitscheck!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back