• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acronyms on Forums (1 Viewer)

Hi, Jon and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. I don’t know what MMF means, I would ask the poster to explain.

Welcome Jon. MMF might have multiple meanings but I've come across it as Make Money Fast - a humorous reference to something being a scam. I don't think it's birdforum specific.

I find the use of two letter codes for American states confusing.
example - hi, I’m Jim from Jefferson City, MO
I have to go to google to look up what they mean !
TTFN (ta, ta, for now - English for goodbye)

I don't think anyone has explained TFS yet.... it means "Thanks for Sharing"

If you are referring to MMF in the gallery, I think you will find it stands for MelospizaMelodiaFan
Well done Benji.... I couldn't think what MMF stood for, but yes, use that a lot.

Hi, Jon, welcome to BF! πŸ˜‰
I'm that MMF 😊

Some more acronyms you might see here:
BIF = bird in flight
FL = focal length
M43 = micro 4/3 camera
DSLR = digital single lens reflex (camera with a mirror)

Long bird names often are written as acronyms.
RSH = Red shouldered hawk
RTH = Red tailed hawk
... and so on. Hopefully it can be decoded given some context.

Last edited:
Don't forget ...

There may be a few more actual acronyms in there, along with birding slang etc. And welcome to BF!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back