• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Actual focal length (1 Viewer)

For an equivalent focal length around 1,300mm the stars Zeta to Delta Orionis at 2.736 degrees separation are probably too far apart
Zeta to Epsilon Orionis are 1.356 degrees apart.
Epsilon to Delta Orionis are 1.386 degrees apart.

Orion is visible in the evening.
One should photograph them at a reasonable elevation above the horizon to stop atmospheric refraction slightly changing the separation.

The exposures should not be long. Sufficient to give good but small star images, not bloated star images.

If the 80mm scope plus converter and the Superzoom camera are used then comparisons at infinity can be made.

The Moon is another possibility but the apparent angular diameter is I think given for mid Earth. Diffferent parts of the Earth's surface could cause up to 1.5% error.
It may be some programmes correct for this.

The1.4x converter may have an attempted magnification of 1.414x rather than 1.4x but is likely 1.43x or similar.
I think this is the main sorce of error.

The size of the sensor I think has to be taken from the manufacturers specs. Both DSLR and Superzooom bridge camera.

Zoom lenses have complex focal length changes as do some odd modern fixed lenses such as one of Sony's fixed focus wide angles that actually behaves like a zoom.

Other source of little errors is crop factor. For example, APS-C sensors from Canon are rated as 1.6x, but there are some small differences between the real size of each one.

For example my Canon 1000D has a 22.2mm width sensor, giving a 1,622x crop factor
(+1,4% from the supossed 1.6x).

But I also expect bigger differences from the TC.

Best way to be sure is to measure effective focal lenght directly, it's very easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back