• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adding to year list in S.Spain (1 Viewer)

tchagra

Hi Folks

Out yesterday at Palmones Estuary again,but took a birding/ringing pal to help him get his year list going.all the usual suspects were there from New Year day incl.Osprey,Marsh harrier,winter plumage Little Gull,and plenty of waders,Greenshank;Redshank;Ringed Plover;Turnstone;Sanderling;Kentish Plover;Grey Plover;Curlew ,Whimbrel plus a good winter count of 155 Grey Herons.

On the way back across the dunes to the beach car park,decided to look at an area I had basically not taken too much notice of in the past winters,but this year there seemed a good amount of reedmace in a shallow depression which always holds some water at this time.This site is not in any conservation area so is not managed,and as a result there is a lot of encroaching scrub,so hard to see the water itself.

This morning the light was perfect,coming from behind us,so none of the birds were in silhouette.There was an obvious movement of birds in and out of the reeds particularly White Wagtails,but the really great find were the wintering Penduline Tits,16 at least,feeding on the reedmace,plus several Reed Buntings.

A well known local wintering sight for these birds is the Guadiaro estuary but this winter because of the extremely bad weather the reedmace has been decimated.

On Thursday I shall be here in the dunes:eat: before first light to put up a max.of 3 nets and catch the Wags.as they leave the roost and then get to work on the Penduline Tits as it warms up,should be in and out before any of the locals wake up!!!

Saludos

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

I saw three penduline tits in the willows at the far end of the wood at San Enrique a couple of years ago after dipping on them at Sotogrande. They were where the path finally runs out at the river-side just below the earth dam - near the "buzzard eucalyptuses" I mentioned the other day.

At La Janda last February there was another small group in the trees that grow between the canal and the wrecked tarmac road that runs between the cotton fields from the sluice towards the farm. (I was looking for bluethroat at the time without any luck).

A very interesting report, Ricardo. I'll be out in Spain (again) at the end of next month & will be within 30 minutes of Palmones - I've not been there yet as I'm not sure of how to negotiate the outskirts of Algeciras! Any directions to the site (& the Pendulines) would be most useful. I'll be coming from the direction of Jerez,

John

Bird site

A very interesting report, Ricardo. I'll be out in Spain (again) at the end of next month & will be within 30 minutes of Palmones - I've not been there yet as I'm not sure of how to negotiate the outskirts of Algeciras! Any directions to the site (& the Pendulines) would be most useful. I'll be coming from the direction of Jerez,

John

Hi John

Am going over tomorrow to try to ring some of these birds so will note some land marks at the turnings ,then will post them off to you via this site.

I have ringed the Tits as late as March at the Guadiaro Estuary,about 3/4 years ago now so when you come out you could be lucky,but at least you will know where to look.It would be worth in any case a walk through the dunes to the end of the estuary as they have nearly completed a new board walk overlooking the marsh and rio,a great birdy place

Cheers for now

Ricardo

Tits and Bluethroats

Hi Ricardo

I saw three penduline tits in the willows at the far end of the wood at San Enrique a couple of years ago after dipping on them at Sotogrande. They were where the path finally runs out at the river-side just below the earth dam - near the "buzzard eucalyptuses" I mentioned the other day.

At La Janda last February there was another small group in the trees that grow between the canal and the wrecked tarmac road that runs between the cotton fields from the sluice towards the farm. (I was looking for bluethroat at the time without any luck).

Hi Alan

I know the dam well ,that was a good sighting,all in all it is a nice little birdng walk most times of year,get in and out before the noisy Spanish get up though!!
This last autumn I ringed the first of this species way up the Rio Guadiaro where it meets the Rio Genal,it was obviously migrating through the river valley to the coast.

I have ringed these birds as late as March at the rio Guadiaro estuary.

I too have ticked them off in La Janda in the winter,but a slighlt different place to you.When you turn right off the main road at Venta el retin,drive down track to where you have to then go left.There on your immediate right is a huge drainage channel,and at this near end there is usually plenty of mud showing and lots of reed mace ,this I have found as the most reliable place for both Pend.Tits and Bluethroat in La Janda.

I shall be birding and ringing at la Janda very soon so will check out your spot too

Cheers for now

Ricardo

The penduline tits in the wood certainly were a good sighting as far as I was concerned, that's for sure. They were lifers for me. I've just checked my records and it was three years ago, not two, 24th Feb 2005 - time flies.

I had been down to the hide at Sotogrande where it is suggested that the reedbeds are a good wintering site for them, but apart from excellent views of an otter hunting in the pool in front of the hide, there was very little to report. After walking along the beach as far as the river mouth and back, we returned to the car and went to have a look at San Enrique. I was pleased to see a group of siskins in the wood by the river but there was little else of note and as I came to the end of the wood my mind began to meander and fill with absent thoughts.

Thinking about the lack of pendulines at Sotogrande - one of the target species for the trip that I was disappointed not to see - I started to mentally compose a trip report for the day. This report never got written in any form, but I remember the words;

"We went to the famed reedbeds at Sotogrande expecting to see penduline tits, but despite extensive searching nothing of interest turned up. Downheartened I decided to see what was in the wood at San Enrique and off we went. The usual tree sparrows were at the bend in the track at the water treatment works and the wood yielded a few chiffchaffs and a welcome group of siskins (a Spanish tick for me). As we came to the end of the wood, where the path runs down to the river we stuck gold - despite not being mentioned on the species list for the site we actually came across a penduline tit".

I swear that these were the words that I was mentally composing as I came to the end of the track and walked out onto the shingle. As I reached the shingle seconds later I saw movement in the willows. Not one, but three penduline tits were busily feeding in full view.

I was stunned!

I set up the digiscoping gear and despite the close range I managed to get a male into view for a frame-filling shot. I pressed the shutter, the coolpix began to fire, the bird hopped off. I got a picture of a willow twig.

I still haven't written a trip report for that holiday and exactly thirteen months later I got to see penduline tits in the UK. I've seen them in several places in Spain since, but those first were stars.

Hi John

Am going over tomorrow to try to ring some of these birds so will note some land marks at the turnings ,then will post them off to you via this site.

I have ringed the Tits as late as March at the Guadiaro Estuary,about 3/4 years ago now so when you come out you could be lucky,but at least you will know where to look.It would be worth in any case a walk through the dunes to the end of the estuary as they have nearly completed a new board walk overlooking the marsh and rio,a great birdy place

Cheers for now

Ricardo

Thanks in advance,
John

re Penduline Tits

Thanks in advance,
John

As promised John,I have got you some directions for El Rinconcillo,Palmones estuary.I always enter from San Roque direction so have had a good look at the particular junction where you have to turn off.

Coming from the N.i.e.Jerez direction,you will join the same road that I will be on,i.e.the dual carriageway coast road ,N340.

As you approach the N340 take the direction for Algeciras,and once on that you will pass over the bridge under which the Rio Palmones flows.Keep on the inside lane ,when you will meet a set of traffic lights.Here you must turn left,but as is usual in Spain at this sort of junction,you will have to do a “cambio de sentido”,which means bear to your right and immediately bear left in order to cross the main road as if changing your direction.

You will know you are the correct junction as you will see on your right the Hotel Alboran with 3* restaurant.

As you cross straight over this main road you will see on your right now a building called Exposicion Y Venta Ceramica,but do not take the road for Puerto Norte,keep slightly to the left following the signs for Caseta de Ventas and Resid.Soto Verde.

Carry on down the hill till you meet a roundabout with a large anchor in its middle.

Here go first right and down this road you will pass over 2 severe speed bumps,then you will arrive at a crossroads,on your right is a small ONCE kiosk,in front is a sign for Centro de Salud and a prominent stop sign.Here you must turn left.

Follow this road over 2 small sharp speed bumps and then go right at a 90 degree bend (straight on goes to the bird obs),you will see a sign at the bend for Casa Venado and Bar Terraza Karaoke.

Go straight for about 200m.,then turn left just after a pedestrian crossing.Along here there is 1 sharp speed bump,and you will eventually come to another 90 degree bend to the right,follow round here and very shortly you will arrive at the beach car park,El Rinconcillo,and a large venta.

Park here and walk on to the beach and bear left.Walk past the last low building on your left and immediately go left into the sand dunes.Once in the dunes keep straight and you will come very quickly to the depression in the dunes which holds the water and reedmace and scrubby trees.

I was here last week,ringing,but saw no Penduline Tits but there were still Reed Buntings,other interesting species for us here in Spain have also been ringed in the recent past at this site including,Bluethroat,Water Pipit and the very rare Lesser Whitethroat (normally much much further E.on migration,I think even on 1 or 2 records for Gibraltar also).

A member of our group who rings regularly at the Rio Guadiaro estuary told me that the week before he ringed 2 Penduline Tits there plus a good mix of species but this least week there were far fewer birds and no Tits.

I think it is the good weather that has affected the wintering birds,basically a lot have uped and gone N. At a new site this week,where I do a lot of my local birding,I trapped a lot of Blackcaps ,only 1 local bird and all the rest were moving through with high fat scores.

Anyway the El Rinconcillo site is still worth a look all year round as it is in such a good position to receive migrants etc ,and if you carry on through the sand dunes N.towards the river mouth keeping close to the left hand side of the dunes all the way you will reach the new elevated boardwalk,which is perfectly positioned to see the waders etc close up but you need low tide otherwise they all disappear on to the marshes.

I will send you a good website for tide times and use the chart for Gibraltar as that is the nearest position.

Trust this is of help

Kind Regards

Ricardo

re Penduline Tits etc

The penduline tits in the wood certainly were a good sighting as far as I was concerned, that's for sure. They were lifers for me. I've just checked my records and it was three years ago, not two, 24th Feb 2005 - time flies.

I had been down to the hide at Sotogrande where it is suggested that the reedbeds are a good wintering site for them, but apart from excellent views of an otter hunting in the pool in front of the hide, there was very little to report. After walking along the beach as far as the river mouth and back, we returned to the car and went to have a look at San Enrique. I was pleased to see a group of siskins in the wood by the river but there was little else of note and as I came to the end of the wood my mind began to meander and fill with absent thoughts.

Thinking about the lack of pendulines at Sotogrande - one of the target species for the trip that I was disappointed not to see - I started to mentally compose a trip report for the day. This report never got written in any form, but I remember the words;

"We went to the famed reedbeds at Sotogrande expecting to see penduline tits, but despite extensive searching nothing of interest turned up. Downheartened I decided to see what was in the wood at San Enrique and off we went. The usual tree sparrows were at the bend in the track at the water treatment works and the wood yielded a few chiffchaffs and a welcome group of siskins (a Spanish tick for me). As we came to the end of the wood, where the path runs down to the river we stuck gold - despite not being mentioned on the species list for the site we actually came across a penduline tit".

I swear that these were the words that I was mentally composing as I came to the end of the track and walked out onto the shingle. As I reached the shingle seconds later I saw movement in the willows. Not one, but three penduline tits were busily feeding in full view.

I was stunned!

I set up the digiscoping gear and despite the close range I managed to get a male into view for a frame-filling shot. I pressed the shutter, the coolpix began to fire, the bird hopped off. I got a picture of a willow twig.

I still haven't written a trip report for that holiday and exactly thirteen months later I got to see penduline tits in the UK. I've seen them in several places in Spain since, but those first were stars.

Alan,I have got you some directions for El Rinconcillo,Palmones estuary if you fancy looking there.I always enter from San Roque direction so have had a good look at the particular junction where you have to turn off.

Coming from the N.i.e.Jerez direction,you will join the same road that I will be on,i.e.the dual carriageway coast road ,N340.

As you approach the N340 take the direction for Algeciras,and once on that you will pass over the bridge under which the Rio Palmones flows.Keep on the inside lane ,when you will meet a set of traffic lights.Here you must turn left,but as is usual in Spain at this sort of junction,you will have to do a “cambio de sentido”,which means bear to your right and immediately bear left in order to cross the main road as if changing your direction.

You will know you are the correct junction as you will see on your right the Hotel Alboran with 3* restaurant.

As you cross straight over this main road you will see on your right now a building called Exposicion Y Venta Ceramica,but do not take the road for Puerto Norte,keep slightly to the left following the signs for Caseta de Ventas and Resid.Soto Verde.

Carry on down the hill till you meet a roundabout with a large anchor in its middle.

Here go first right and down this road you will pass over 2 severe speed bumps,then you will arrive at a crossroads,on your right is a small ONCE kiosk,in front is a sign for Centro de Salud and a prominent stop sign.Here you must turn left.

Follow this road over 2 small sharp speed bumps and then go right at a 90 degree bend (straight on goes to the bird obs),you will see a sign at the bend for Casa Venado and Bar Terraza Karaoke.

Go straight for about 200m.,then turn left just after a pedestrian crossing.Along here there is 1 sharp speed bump,and you will eventually come to another 90 degree bend to the right,follow round here and very shortly you will arrive at the beach car park,El Rinconcillo,and a large venta.

Park here and walk on to the beach and bear left.Walk past the last low building on your left and immediately go left into the sand dunes.Once in the dunes keep straight and you will come very quickly to the depression in the dunes which holds the water and reedmace and scrubby trees.

I was here last week,ringing,but saw no Penduline Tits but there were still Reed Buntings,other interesting species for us here in Spain have also been ringed in the recent past at this site including,Bluethroat,Water Pipit and the very rare Lesser Whitethroat (normally much much further E.on migration,I think even on 1 or 2 records for Gibraltar also).

A member of our group who rings regularly at the Rio Guadiaro estuary told me that the week before he ringed 2 Penduline Tits there plus a good mix of species but this least week there were far fewer birds and no Tits.

I think it is the good weather that has affected the wintering birds,basically a lot have uped and gone N. At a new site this week,where I do a lot of my local birding,I trapped a lot of Blackcaps ,only 1 local bird and all the rest were moving through with high fat scores.

Anyway the El Rinconcillo site is still worth a look all year round as it is in such a good position to receive migrants etc ,and if you carry on through the sand dunes N.towards the river mouth keeping close to the left hand side of the dunes all the way you will reach the new elevated boardwalk,which is perfectly positioned to see the waders etc close up but you need low tide otherwise they all disappear on to the marshes.

I will send you a good website for tide times and use the chart for Gibraltar as that is the nearest position.

Trust this is of help

Kind Regards

Ricardo

Ricardo,

Many thanks for your detailed directions - I recall passing Hotel Alboran so I know roughly where you mean. Like all these things I suspect the directions are more complex to read than they are to actually follow on the ground. I hope to have a look when I'm out in a couple of weeks although, as ever, I suspect that there will be more 'domestic' chores to do about the house than I fondly imagine!

Just back from Boulogne - a quick enough trip via the tunnel - where a wintering Wallcreeper was too good to miss! I often wonder how much they might be missed in the southern mountains. Given the elusiveness of this bird - despite the many eyes looking - I think that they may well turn up more often than the sparse records suggest,

John

Last edited:
re website for tides

Hi Ricardo

As promised here is the tide time site for Gibraltar

The website for tide times is http://tide.frbateaux.net/432

Cheers for now

Ricardo

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back