• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice needed for 1st time trip to Panama please (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I'm new to BirdForum and it looks like a great place for helping me to plan our trip to Panama in Jan 2024.
We plan to start with 4 nights/3 days in the Gamboa/canal area and would really appreciate advice on:
1. The going rate for 3 mornings of bird guiding.
2. A recommendation for a bird guide who could do the 3 mornings with us.
3. Where to stay. We won't have a car and would prefer to stay somewhere with a restaurant on site or within walking distance. We would like to be somwhere where we can do some birding/ photography/exploring ourselves in the afternoon or evening and dan warch birds from a balcony. The Gamboa Rainforest Resort looks ideal on their website site but has very mixed reviews. The Summit Rainforest Golf Resort doesn't have any availability on the Saturday night according to their website. There don't seem to be a lot of other options.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm new to BirdForum and it looks like a great place for helping me to plan our trip to Panama in Jan 2024.
We plan to start with 4 nights/3 days in the Gamboa/canal area and would really appreciate advice on:
1. The going rate for 3 mornings of bird guiding.
2. A recommendation for a bird guide who could do the 3 mornings with us.
3. Where to stay. We won't have a car and would prefer to stay somewhere with a restaurant on site or within walking distance. We would like to be somwhere where we can do some birding/ photography/exploring ourselves in the afternoon or evening and dan warch birds from a balcony. The Gamboa Rainforest Resort looks ideal on their website site but has very mixed reviews. The Summit Rainforest Golf Resort doesn't have any availability on the Saturday night according to their website. There don't seem to be a lot of other options.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Back yesterday from a tour of 15 days to Panama I could recommend you our guide, Armodio Rodriguez Diaz.

My trip report: https://ebird.org/spain/tripreport/114745

Very experienced guide, easygoing person and speaks good English.

He is very good detecting bird calls, something very important inside the forest.

You may contact him at:

Whatsapp: + 507 61-62-28-51

Last time we passed through The Gamboa Rainforest Resort they were not in business (2022).

Canopy tower obviously would allow for the full service deal - they are great but definitely not cheap.

The Radisson at Summit was good but a bit far from the best birding if you do not have a car.

There used to be some b&b in Gamboa, but I am not sure which are functional at the moment.

One idea: perhaps start in El Valle del Anton where there seemed to be plenty of places to stay and then visit Gamboa later if you can find a period where the Radisson is available? The transfer from the airport is about twice as long to El Valle but that is about it.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back