• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time in September (1 Viewer)

CharlieOscar

New Zealand
We are planning a short trip (10 day) to Costa Rica as part of a bigger (non-birding) trip and will be keeping costs down by driving ourselves. Although I know it’s not ideal weather the timing means we would be there in early September. We are keen birders but these days prefer to take things slowly and watch the birds, rather than having specific birds we want to see. We aren’t photographers.

I have read a thread from 2019 that seems to confirm that La Selva and Arenal would good. Would Rancho Naturalista be a good third complementary addition? If not, where would you advise?

We’d love to read any trip reports anyone would be happy to share with us. Does this sound OK In terms of not too much specials duplication and driving?

is there anywhere else people would recommend as well as, or instead of, the above?

Thanks for any advice, hints and tips,

best wishes for great birding in 2024!

My experience is more than 10 years ago, but I hope that the good sites still are good. I loved Rancho but I also loved Carara on the pacific side. Watch out for time it takes getting from one place to another, you do not want to end up spending all your time on the road.
Niels

Hi Charlie,

I'm also a new member. I live near Arenal and do most of my birding in that area. To answer your questions and add some advice:

• You can't go wrong with the top three hot spots in Costa Rica (Rancho Naturalista, Arenal Observatory Lodge, and La Selva). Of the three the Observatory is the most economical in terms of day pass prices. I believe currently the Observatory is $15 per person while La Selva and Rancho are both in the $40-50 range (although Rancho includes food).
  • September is better than July and August in terms of bird activity. By mid-September a lot of migratory birds are starting to arrive or pass through. On September 10th of last year I had an exceptional day for Warblers at the Arenal National Park (Peninsula Area) with some rarities like the Cerulean Warbler. It can rain a lot but it can also be dry. I remember Septembers when it rained almost non-stop (off and on) for weeks straight. And I remember a September we went almost 2 weeks without any rain.
  • If you want to see a lot of widespread species, a few endemics like Nicaraguan Grackle and Nicaraguan Seed-Finch, and some difficult wetland species like Yellow-breasted Crake it's definitely worth going up to Caño Negro. If you do look up Chambita Romero who is a guide there. You need to go with a guide there as it's a boat tour. Avoid the "Caño Negro" tours you see advertised in La Fortuna. Many actually don't even go to Caño Negro proper.
  • If you want to see a lot of the endemic species of the highlands, visit the Dota area. Either Paraiso Quetzal Lodge or the Savegre/San Gerardo valley. Great for hummingbirds, Quetzals, and other highland specialties. The road through Los Quetzales National Park is also good birding and free if you stick to the road and don't enter the trails.
If you want a guide in the Arenal area I do some guiding on a freelance basis (I primarily work in education-technology). I can also just give you some tips if you want them and/or help you out with specific spots to visit. Just send me a DM, happy to help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back