• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice of bird cam (1 Viewer)

Smorton

United States
Greeting from North Central Minnesota!!

I'm looking for advice on a bird camera to be used in a climate that can range from 90° above in the summer to 40° below in the winter.

I don't want to use the camera for live view but to capture quality photos and videos of birds up my feeder near my home.

I was looking at the cam from Birdsy. but that is cloud-based and I am uncertain what temperatures it will operate under and the quality of the video.

Can anyone recommend a bird cam that would give high-quality output in photos and videos and withstand 10-20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below temperatures?

Please pretend that you are talking to a four-year-old about this as I am very new to this idea.

Any input is highly appreciated!!

Smorton

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Below is a link to our Camera and photography section of the Forum and you'll get more responses if you post a thread in that section.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

If you don't want to have a live view then you are looking for a device called a trail camera also known as a camera trap. A quick search on Bird Forum will find numerous threads discussing them. They are basically a battery powered box with a camera, a motion sensor and an infra red light. You leave the camera out in the wilds and anything that walks in front has their picture or video taken (you can select which). During the day this is in colour, at night it is black and white using the built in infra red light. The images are recorded onto a card in the box and you can periodically visit the box to take out the card. You can get trail cameras that will send the images to you via Wi-Fi or by a cellular phone module but these are more expensive.

Cold temperatures will shorten the battery life of the camera dramatically, using lithium batteries can help a bit. Many of the cheaper trail cameras don't advertise their operating temperature range and even then you may have to take the stated range with a pinch of salt. Some of the higher end cameras do state a decent range and will offer some testimonials to back that up. An example is Reconyx, but then you are paying 3x the price!

Hi Smorton and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Below is a link to our Camera and photography section of the Forum and you'll get more responses if you post a thread in that section.

Thank you for your response. I am wondering a go pro hero 9 would work. I would take it in each evening.

Thanks again.
SM

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back