• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Akialoa ellisiana (Gray, GR, 1860) & Prosobonia ellisi Sharpe, 1906 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

If I am right we can find here the OD and here a plate as part of the OD. The plate might be drawn by William Wade Ellis (but I don't know).

Akialoa ellisiana (Gray, GR, 1860) OD here
Prosobonia ellisi Sharpe, 1906 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims wrongly his name as:
Greater Akialoa Hemignathus ellisianus G. R. Gray, 1860 EXTINCT
Ellis's Sandpiper Prosobonia ellisi Sharpe, 1906 EXTINCT [Alt. White-winged Sandpiper]
William Webb Ellis (d.1786) was a surgeon's mate, artist and collector on board Resolution on Captain Cook's (q.v.) third voyage. Against the orders of the Admiralty, he published a two-volume version of the Cook expedition (1782), which contained engravings made from his own drawings. He also corresponded with Sir Joseph Banks (q.v.). He died as a result of a fall from the main mast of a ship in Ostend. We assume him to be a relative (the grandfather perhaps) of the famous William Webb Ellis, who invented Rugby football (1823) by picking up and running with with the ball during a game of soccer; however, we have no direct evidence.

🏈🏈🏈The story about rugby is pure speculation and therefore a quality of tabloid journalism. If there is evidence mention it, if not forget about it. Especially if his name is William Wade Ellis and not Webb.🏈🏈🏈

In the key...

William Wade Ellis (1751-1785) English surgeon-naturalist, artist on Cook’s third voyage (‑Prosobonia).
William Wade Ellis (1751-1785) English surgeon-naturalist, artist on Cook's third voyage (‑Akialoa).

But maybe here can be found the evidence that there is a relationship between William Wade Ellis and William Webb Ellis. Otherwise take my comment as what's worth.

Last edited:
Akialoa ellisiana (Gray, GR, 1860) OD here
Prosobonia ellisi Sharpe, 1906 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims wrongly his name as:

🏈🏈🏈The story about rugby is pure speculation and therefore a quality of tabloid journalism. If there is evidence mention it, if not forget about it. Especially if his name is William Wade Ellis and not Webb.🏈🏈🏈

In the key...

But maybe here can be found the evidence that there is a relationship between William Wade Ellis and William Webb Ellis. Otherwise take my comment as what's worth.
More info on William Wade Ellis can be found here: William Wade Ellis (1751-1785). Evidence is apparently lacking that W. Wade is related to W. Webb.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back