• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alaska Birding in June (1 Viewer)

nubiesan

United States
We are just about to leave on a cruise to Alaska (inside passage Vancouver to Sitka) and are looking for suggestions for quick day trips along the route. Stops include Misty Fjords, Fjordland, Ketchikan, Wrangell, Gut Bay, Petersburg, Tracy/Endicott Arm, Kake, Frederick Sound and Sitka.

Safe travels on your cruise. If you are just about to depart it is probably too late to be ordering books but if you have time, I’d recommend George C. West’s Birder’s Guide to Alaska. It’s a bird finder book rather than a field guide that has great information about likely bird at specific spots It has chapters on Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, and Sitka.

Can you provide a few more details about the trip? How many days, the length of each stop, if you are hikers (a lot of the suggested areas are hike-able from the ferry terminals). Do you have any target species? Would you want to or have time to rent a car at the larger towns?

I took a cruise from Whittier to Vancouver many years ago and it was very productive from a birding perspective – we had a spotting scope and a balcony so managed some good seabirds, but of course we had more open ocean than the inland passage cruise.

I assume you’ll have access to Birdforum.net while on board so if you have any specific species you are looking for, I might be able to provide some suggestions based on the book I mentioned above. I have an older copy of it but might be useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back