• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albatross ID - Between Cape Dolphin, Fakland Islands and Punta Delgada, Argentina (1 Viewer)

Difficult for me based on these 2 pics only, but I'd suggest one from the Wandering Albatross group. I can't see a true dark cutting edge to the upper mandible, although there's something dark on the lower mandible (one of the bill plates, it seems). I'm not sure either if what I'm seeing is one of the tail feathers, which being dark would rule out a Royal of this age; also seems to have too much white on the upperparts for a Southern Royal. If you have any other pics at all they could help.

Unfortunately, those are the only 2 photos I have of this bid, Rafael. I see why this could be a Wandering Albatross. Is that the way you would lean with this bird?

I suspect it is a Southern Royal.

The amount of white on the upper parts is not a problem in really old birds as in the one attached.

Bill is a bit strange but suspect because of the quality of the picture you can't see the black cutting edge to the whole bill just towards the end.

Cheers

Alan

P.S Hope all is well Rafael....

Attachments

• Southern Royal Albatross (At Sea) 040.jpg
    Southern Royal Albatross (At Sea) 040.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
I suspect it is a Southern Royal.

The amount of white on the upper parts is not a problem in really old birds as in the one attached.

Bill is a bit strange but suspect because of the quality of the picture you can't see the black cutting edge to the whole bill just towards the end.

Cheers

Alan

P.S Hope all is well Rafael....
Could well be Alan,
my main issue would be the putative dark tail feather (which should be in fact the wing tip): a Royal would have an all white tail. Agree that the black cutting edge could be blurred out and that the oldest Southern Royals would be as white.
All well around here, miss all those fantastic birds, it'd be difficult not too! :) Hope you've been having time for some quality birding!
Cheers

Thank you, Alan. I've been looking over these 2 photos and came to the same conclusion. I looks to me more like a Southern Royal as you stated. I was seeing the same thing with the slight bit of black to the mandible. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back