• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alberta Canada - September gulls (1 Viewer)

Zangazanga

Last fall, while the grain fields south of Edmonton were being harvested (first week of September), I tried to photograph the hawks that were following the combines around. (I assume they were looking for mice that are suddenly more vulnerable on the newly shorn fields.) I am looking at these photos and besides the Red-tailed and Swainson's Hawks, I see that there were also about 5 gulls circling. They remained very high up and i did not take much notice of them, but now I wonder if it might be possible to figure out what exactly they were. The photos are not great. I wonder if anyone want to try to give an ID? I cant say much except that there were at least 5 gulls, they all seem to be similar to me with pale windows on gray wings, and smudgy dark band on the tails. (One of the photos also shows a Swainson's hawk going past in a vertical stoop).

z

Attachments

• unknown gull-6.jpg
    unknown gull-6.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 66
  • unknown gull-5.jpg
    unknown gull-5.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 54
  • unknown gull-4.jpg
    unknown gull-4.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 54
  • unknown gull-3.jpg
    unknown gull-3.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 71
  • unknown gull-2.jpg
    unknown gull-2.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 50
1cy ring-billed gulls. nice pic with the stooping swainson's.

Thanks Lou. Ring-billed gulls (along with Franklin's at certain times of the year) are what I have most often noticed around here, so that definitely makes sense. (and also heightens my wish to understand better the various plumages that these gulls might display.)

Franklin's and ring-billed were my 2 most common species when I lived in Edmonton also.

I occasionally had California pop up in good numbers here and there, along with single immatures of herring gull and mew gulls if I was having a good day.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back