• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alberta Canada - Swans (1 Viewer)

Zangazanga

Hi,
After what seemed like a long cold winter, spring migration of waterfowl is now happening around Edmonton. This morning I saw two dozen Tundra Swans on a pothole pond along with some Canada Geese, and Canvasback ducks, mostly, but a few other ducks were also there.
My question is about the Swan in the front of this photo. I am wondering if this may have been a Trumpeter Swan moving with this group of Tundra Swans. The shape of the bill, plus no sign of any yellow, I am leaning towards this being a Trumpeter Swan. What do you think?
z.

Attachments

• 20180429-_DSC9979.jpg
    20180429-_DSC9979.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 28
Looks good for Trumpeter to me with that long straight bill and very long neck.

Agreed. It looks to me like the Tundra in the background isn't much farther back from the bird in the foreground. Assuming this is true, the front bird has a thicker neck and seemingly a larger head. Also, the front bird has a less sloping back profile than the Tundra in the background.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back