• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alcid perhaps, ID help please, S. British Columbia coast (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

The attached photos were taken on Aug 4, 2023 at about 5pm on the Southern BC coast, about 5 miles north of Lund B.C. (north end of the sunshine coast, on the mainline side of Georgia Straight).
I am unable to come even close to an id of a bird that shows an all dark (brown) head and neck and white wing with what appears, in photo 3 (5453), to be a white eye ring/stripe. I did try to attach a number to each photo but when I open them I do not see that so I hope the order is that in which I loaded them. sorry about that
Any and all help, advice, corrections, comments most welcome and appreciated.
I think it is an alcid, but which one I certainly do not know:) Or if that whether it is an alcid.
Apologies for the photos not being all that helpful for an id.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_19db.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_19db.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • fullsizeoutput_19da.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_19da.jpeg
    805.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN5453.JPG
    DSCN5453.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 42
Thanks Indobirder, much appreciated.
May I ask, is the eye ring a photo artefact or something that is actually there? My copy of Sibley, the western bird one, does not show any white around the eye of the pigeon guillemot, or any other alcid I believe.
thank you again, much appreciated
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back