• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve-Early May (1 Viewer)

sarahlouise84

Hello,

Going on a family trip to Armacao de Pera for a week in the near future and thought I would see if anyone has recommendations. We will possibly hire a car for a couple of days but mostly walk to local reserves e.g. Lagoa dos Salgados. I've done some research and found places like the wetlands at Faro, Castro verde, and Alvor.

Can you recommend maybe the 2 best spots? Ideally no more than an hours drive unless it's really worth it.

Thanks

Hello,

Going on a family trip to Armacao de Pera for a week in the near future and thought I would see if anyone has recommendations. We will possibly hire a car for a couple of days but mostly walk to local reserves e.g. Lagoa dos Salgados. I've done some research and found places like the wetlands at Faro, Castro verde, and Alvor.

Can you recommend maybe the 2 best spots? Ideally no more than an hours drive unless it's really worth it.

Thanks

Hi,

An alternative would be to try and book a day's guiding with birdforum member Simon Wates. I used him twice last year and you will see much more than you can on your own. If you take the cost of car hire into account the cost represents great value for money. I'd recommend a day in the Baixo Alentejo where you'll have a chance of Bustards, Sandgrouse, Roller and raptors.

Hello,

Thanks

You can certainly have a good day out at Quinta do Lago, the walk into Ludo saltpans and Faro marshes, all a short distance from each other, in fact one part runs into the other. have a look on Google Earth and you'll see what I mean.

Parking is a bit of a problem at the Quinta do Lago end as in May car parking charges apply and it's between 10-15 euros/day, it might be better to drive around to the Faro side and park for free at that end.

You should find a few reports about the area in the trip report forum on here.

Thanks for all your advice, we'll look into this more :)

Should have mentioned this in my previous post but do you know the A22 is now a toll road and in a state of chaos regarding visitors paying their toll fees, the other main road across the Algarve, the N-125, is now so laden with traffic be prepared for heavy traffic and delays. See link below.
I really am sorry to be saying this as the Algarve is a beautiful holiday destination and great for birding.

http://www.algarveresident.com/0-45509/algarve/new-rental-car-system-for-tolls-due-this-month

The idea of a day out with Simon could, and probably would, be the highlight of your holiday, you would certainly see plenty of birds you wouldn't see on your own and could be an alternative to hiring a car.

Anyway have a great holiday whatever you decide to do.

Should have mentioned this in my previous post but do you know the A22 is now a toll road and in a state of chaos regarding visitors paying their toll fees, the other main road across the Algarve, the N-125, is now so laden with traffic be prepared for heavy traffic and delays. See link below.
I really am sorry to be saying this as the Algarve is a beautiful holiday destination and great for birding.

The A22 toll’s, are a serious problem, not because of the price but because of the payment method, I’m not really sure that the current system can survive the summer, but for now the foreign drivers using the A22 can have problems, the A2 for Castro Verde it’s fine, the toll system there allows for manual payment.

The N-125 is.....:C

I'm not a brilliant birder but I second Qunta do Lago wher eI have had some of my best sightings and also seem to be able to get close to the birds for taking photos. Check the tide times though as the best time for waders is wehn the tide is on the way in. I was at the car park there this week and the barriers have been removed so it might not cost you in May - it has always been free when I have been in April or Oct and even when I was there in early May. Also there is restaurant with a parking area by the side fo a couple of lagoons to the west of the main entrace and you can walk around from there. I think you turn off at the last roundabout before the car park to get there but Google earth should show it.

Re Tolls. It is a pain - everyone seems to agree with this apart from the government. With a hire car if you use the A22 it records your number plate. It then doesn't apear on the system for 48 hours (don't know why if it electronic it should be instant!). You then have 5 days to pay - after this a penalty is imposed. And you need to find a post office to pay the toll. When I payed there was a charge on the system from before I picked the car up. The hire company said they woul dpay any missing fees and charge my credit card so I waiting to see if I get stung for a fee I didn't use. I have made three (longish) journeys on the A22 and it has cost me 17 euros.

From Armacao de Pera to Quina Do Lago it is not to bad on the N125 as long as you avoid rush hour. I drove from Pera this week and it wasn't too bad.

I took my car back today at the airport and was told by the car hire woman that since December they haven't paid any tolls as they have not had any notification of what to pay. This means anyone hiring a car will presumably eventually incur fines for non payment which the car hire companies will charge back. I had two tolls I couldn't pay as they were within the 24 hour period so goodness know when I will get charged an how much.

The solution seems to be that car hire companies should pay to have the transponders instlalled on their cars so that they will get bills and recharge to customers. This seems logical but Avis are quoted as saying the installation will cost them 75,000 euros for their fleet of cars - guess who is going to end up paying for that in more expensive hire charges to add to the additional cost of the tolls.

In an economy relying on tourism this is an abosolute disaster! Never mind soon solving it, it should never have intoroduced until there ws a system in place.

There was also an article in the local paper when I was there about road deaths in Portugal going down. This is good news but it is well known that motorways are the safest place to drive - but journeys on the A22 are down 50% since the introduction of the tolls - will be inteesrting to see what it does for the death rate on the N125.

Of course the introduction of tolls here has been a fiasco and I used the word 'solved' with my tongue firmly in my cheek.

However, for the tourist the tolls will be a relatively small part of the total cost of visiting Portugal. What needs to be simple and straightforward is the method of payment and we may at last be about to see that issue dealt with.

At the moment, most residents here in the Algarve seem to be avoiding use of the A22. Traffic on that road reduced substantially in December when the tolls were introduced and the fact that (as far as I know) figures for subsequent months haven't been published speaks for itself. The increase in traffic on the EN125 that has resulted isn't yet a major problem but when the tourist season is upon us getting around the Algarve promises to be either very time-consuming or expensive.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I agree the fees are only a small proportion of what will be spent when visiting the Algarve and that a simple system for paying for them is required. It won't stop me going as I have an apartment there. However, if car hire companies charge 18 Euros a week to use the transponders and you use the motorway every day it could easily add 100 euros to the cost of hiring and using a car. This will put people off - they will go elsewhere.

When I was there last week there was one horrendous queue going East on the N125 between Albufeira and Boliqueime at about 4.30 in the afternoon. With the cost of fuel it will be chaeper to pay the tolls than to waste mney stuck in queues in the summer.

Hi Sarah Louise,

Hope you had a nice trip. I’m going to Armacao de Pera next week and therefore very curious to hear about your experiences with the birding in the area. My main interests are:

Red-necked Nightjar
Orphean Warbler
Bonelli’s Warbler
Olivaceous Warbler
Storm-petrels

All the best,
Timme

The transpondeurs in france are free! They are pay as you go and you can choose 1.50 per month 'rental' plus your road use or 2 in the month that you use it plus road charges....

It seems to me that chasing up clients after the event will cost them a lot more. You could legally argue that you should not be liable for any penalties because its the hire car company that are responsible for the payment on time!

Anyway, hope the birds were good and you managed to pick up some goodies....

Hi Sarah Louise,

Hope you had a nice trip. I’m going to Armacao de Pera next week and therefore very curious to hear about your experiences with the birding in the area. My main interests are:

Red-necked Nightjar
Orphean Warbler
Bonelli’s Warbler
Olivaceous Warbler
Storm-petrels

All the best,
Timme

Hi Timmel,

Armação de Pêra is close to Lagoa dos Salgados - some 3 kms to the east. You have to access the area via the road route to Albufeira - turning south after around 3kms - the only other way would be to wade or swim across the river (not recommended!)

Red-necked Nightjar is common through most of the Algarve - they are just inland (NW 1-2kms) from where you are staying - look for open areas with Stone Pines and Cork Oaks on sandy soils. Listen at dusk to locate of course.

Western Orphean Warbler is an extremely scarce breeder in central and extreme northern Algarve. I have never heard of them being seen by visitors, unless with a local guide. Their habitat always includes areas with Holm Oaks often in a hedge like structure around small streams (dry or wet). I have been keeping the exact location in the central Algarve quiet because its a very small population. The general area is around Loulé north of Faro on the northern limits of the limestone - there must be more! I have tried to locate more sites in that area recently in near identical habitat with no luck - but who knows? That's W.Orphean Warbler! (A personal favourite)

W. Olivaceous doesn't breed in Portugal - NE Coto Doñana in nearby Spain is very good for them - especially in Tamarix africana by water.

W. Bonelli's Warbler doesn't breed in the Algarve (a scarce spring and common autumn passage migrant). Nearest is Serra de Grandola some 200lms to the north). They are only common in central-northern Portugal really.

White-rumped Swifts are now back at breeding sites.

Wilson's Storm Petrels have already been seen off Portugal (just north of Lisbon) this season - they should be do-able off the Algarve very soon. Last year a trip off Portimão on 12th June produced a few tens by chumming just around 5kms offshore. E.Storm Petrels are present now in small numbers).

Simon

Hi,

An alternative would be to try and book a day's guiding with birdforum member Simon Wates. I used him twice last year and you will see much more than you can on your own. If you take the cost of car hire into account the cost represents great value for money. I'd recommend a day in the Baixo Alentejo where you'll have a chance of Bustards, Sandgrouse, Roller and raptors.

I was going to hire a car but as per your recommendation I also did hire Simon and did not regret it. Some target species did not show but we got some very good views of Bustards, Imperial Eagles, Sandgrouse, Roller, Lesser Kestrel, Black Vultures, Eagle Owlk as well as smaller but no less glamorous species such as Nightingale, Cirl Bunting, Spectacled Warbler.....

The transpondeurs in france are free! They are pay as you go and you can choose 1.50 per month 'rental' plus your road use or 2 in the month that you use it plus road charges....

It seems to me that chasing up clients after the event will cost them a lot more. You could legally argue that you should not be liable for any penalties because its the hire car company that are responsible for the payment on time!

Anyway, hope the birds were good and you managed to pick up some goodies....

The whole problem with the tolls is due to cost cutting by not installing pay barriers. To me this is the only way to make things easy - the remainder of the motorways in Portugal have this method (take ticket on the way on and pay in a slot machine or to a real person on the way off). That way, the rather mundane activity of motorway use can be paid and finished with as you leave - all done and sorted.

I refuse to use the transponders for various reasons - I pay my tolls in the Post Offices or in Pay-shops (absurd really but not too painful). All you need to have with you is the number plate.

A client of mine very recently told me that Europcar told him to ignore toll payment - I know that there are a very large amount of unpaid fees. I have no problem with this as things have to change and I think they will have to.

It was obviously a very poorly though out decision to even apply tolls to the A22 Algarve motorway and even more ridiculous to implement the complex paying system. However, its not as bad as many imagine and everybody I have met with a hire car on holiday has not been particularly bothered. It's normal not to pay the toll when you leave the car at the airport (you cannot anyway) at the end of your holiday. Of course the folks that have come out with me don't have to even think about the tolls!

The alternative road - the N125, can be congested at times (like in the old days before the motorway was built) but it is fine for shorter journeys like 20-30kms or so and in the far west, where there is much less traffic. It shouldn't be too bad most of the time except in July and August.

I personally believe that people shouldn't decide for or against visiting the Algarve on the basis of the new motorway tolls (which are not so expensive) -

The people of the Algarve do not deserve to penalised - they work hard to please visitors at many levels - are charming and polite, make excellent eating places and keep their towns, villages and natural areas, including beaches impeccably clean. The motorway tolls are just a minor irritation and not worth fussing about - although I hope the paying system will change soon.

Simon

I was going to hire a car but as per your recommendation I also did hire Simon and did not regret it. Some target species did not show but we got some very good views of Bustards, Imperial Eagles, Sandgrouse, Roller, Lesser Kestrel, Black Vultures, Eagle Owlk as well as smaller but no less glamorous species such as Nightingale, Cirl Bunting, Spectacled Warbler.....

Glad you enjoyed your day, sounds like you saw plenty of species.
I was due to be in Portugal this week but had to cancel due to viral gastroentiritis. I've still to see Spanish Imperial Eagle and that would have been my main target on a day trip with Simon, perhaps later in the year.

Glad you enjoyed your day, sounds like you saw plenty of species.
I was due to be in Portugal this week but had to cancel due to viral gastroentiritis. I've still to see Spanish Imperial Eagle and that would have been my main target on a day trip with Simon, perhaps later in the year.

Just to rub it in - we saw a few Imperials! I suppose its the fun of birding - you cant be sure what you will see. The landscapes were lovely.......wide open, rolling..

Hi Timmel,

Armação de Pêra is close to Lagoa dos Salgados - some 3 kms to the east. You have to access the area via the road route to Albufeira - turning south after around 3kms - the only other way would be to wade or swim across the river (not recommended!)

Red-necked Nightjar is common through most of the Algarve - they are just inland (NW 1-2kms) from where you are staying - look for open areas with Stone Pines and Cork Oaks on sandy soils. Listen at dusk to locate of course.

Western Orphean Warbler is an extremely scarce breeder in central and extreme northern Algarve. I have never heard of them being seen by visitors, unless with a local guide. Their habitat always includes areas with Holm Oaks often in a hedge like structure around small streams (dry or wet). I have been keeping the exact location in the central Algarve quiet because its a very small population. The general area is around Loulé north of Faro on the northern limits of the limestone - there must be more! I have tried to locate more sites in that area recently in near identical habitat with no luck - but who knows? That's W.Orphean Warbler! (A personal favourite)

W. Olivaceous doesn't breed in Portugal - NE Coto Doñana in nearby Spain is very good for them - especially in Tamarix africana by water.

W. Bonelli's Warbler doesn't breed in the Algarve (a scarce spring and common autumn passage migrant). Nearest is Serra de Grandola some 200lms to the north). They are only common in central-northern Portugal really.

White-rumped Swifts are now back at breeding sites.

Wilson's Storm Petrels have already been seen off Portugal (just north of Lisbon) this season - they should be do-able off the Algarve very soon. Last year a trip off Portimão on 12th June produced a few tens by chumming just around 5kms offshore. E.Storm Petrels are present now in small numbers).

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks a lot for the detailed information, it is very interesting and much appreciated!

I have stumbled across trip reports with observations of both Olivaceous and Orphean Warbler just next to Armacao de Pera and Lagoa dos Salgados, but they are old and might very well be outdated... :-( Good news with the nightjars though!

I've tried to arrange a pelagic trip from Fuzeta, but unfortunately they haven't started the season yet. Do you have the contact information on the tour operator in Portimao?

Thanks,
Timme

The observations of W.Olivaceous and W.Orphean were not reported here - though W.Orphean is a scarce spring (mainly) migrant - there was one in coastal scrub at Rocha Brava near Armação de Pêra in March and a sprinkling through the Algarve, some 4 or 5 records. Regarding W.Olivaceous - I suspect a pale Melodious - sorry for the scepticism. There was one in song near Qta do Lago last spring though - the first I have heard of for years. There is one breeding record from NE Alentejo though breeding wasn't proven the birds were present for a time in the breeding season. Its certainly not a bird to target in the Algarve.

For pelagics from Portimão my friend João Tiago Tavares has run them last year and I'm not sure what he is doing now - I will be speaking to him soon.

However, if I was going out for Wilson's in June I would go from Sagres and with:

http://www.marilimitado.com/

Best wishes

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back