• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Seabird (2 Viewers)

ndsutcliffe

SkyBlue136
Taken this morning off the cliffs at Carrapateira. Was photographing passing Gannets, and a much smaller bird appreared - a Shearwater I think, but on size probably smaller than Cory's. Quite distant so pics not great. I suspect Balearic Shearwater, but don't know if there's enough to be sure. Advice appreciated

IMG_5408.JPGIMG_5410.JPGIMG_5411.JPG

I think Manx and Cory's can be ruled out but not sure if sooty can. Though I suspect heavily its a Balearic- looks to have a pale-ish underwing and the first picture seems to show typical dirty grey breast that balearics usually have. Unless it's just an effect of the light I think its a much stronger candidate for a balearic then sooty's. Any more pics?

I think Manx and Cory's can be ruled out but not sure if sooty can. Though I suspect heavily its a Balearic- looks to have a pale-ish underwing and the first picture seems to show typical dirty grey breast that balearics usually have. Unless it's just an effect of the light I think its a much stronger candidate for a balearic then sooty's. Any more pics?
The scrapings form the pan..........

IMG_5409.JPGIMG_5412.JPGIMG_5413.JPGIMG_5415.JPG

I believe it’s a strong candidate for Balearic, it even appears to have a pale chin as well, also white seems thin from the flanks the base of the tail- possibly just an effect of the picture but it also appears as if the feet extend quite a bit further then the end of the tail.

Wait for more opinions, especially from those who have seen this bird on the field. Though I think your suspicions are correct.

I believe it’s a strong candidate for Balearic, it even appears to have a pale chin as well, also white seems thin from the flanks the base of the tail- possibly just an effect of the picture but it also appears as if the feet extend quite a bit further then the end of the tail.

Wait for more opinions, especially from those who have seen this bird on the field. Though I think your suspicions are correct.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back