• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aloha everyone!!! (2 Viewers)

Aloha everyone! I just joined. I got into Binoculars, Spotting Scopes over the past few years and using them to find subjects for wildlife and bird photography. Tracking Sea Birds while fishing. Been living on Oahu for some time and take periodic trips to The Big Island. The story of the evolution of the Hawaiian Finches is fascinating. LMK if you guys live on Oahu or neighboring islands. I've done underwater photography prior but a medical issue has kept me out of the water for a while. I appreciate this forum and what it has to offer.

Hi Mixedpuppy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It's lovely to hear from a new member from Hawaii, as the long term member we had (not sure but I think he lived on Big Island), but we haven't heard from him for a while. How are things on Maui after the devastating fires? Do you know how the wildlife fared, as I think some of the birds and other creatures were already endangered?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Mixedpuppy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It's lovely to hear from a new member from Hawaii, as the long term member we had (not sure but I think he lived on Big Island), but we haven't heard from him for a while. How are things on Maui after the devastating fires? Do you know how the wildlife fared, as I think some of the birds and other creatures were already endangered?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hi! Yeah I live on Oahu but I'm not sure about the status of the birds on Maui. The West Side of our islands tend to be less lush and drier than the East Sides. Most of the Endangered Native forest birds live upland and often at higher altitudes. I would speculate they should be OK but the loss of the historic town of Lahaina is a heavy blow to our state and anyone who is from there or has been there.

I plan on taking trips to Big Island and around Mauna Kea to photograph native birds and maybe some game birds when I get a chance. They also have Native Owl called the "Pueo", a burrowing owl adapted to be diurnal and an even more rare native hawk called an "I'o". I'm still learning about wildlife photography and optics but I have learned quite a bit over the last few years. I got my start initially in Underwater Photography. I appreciate the experience and advice from this forum and I appreciate the work you guys do as moderators.

Hi! I'm also new here...
Tracking sea birds while fishing sounds like a unique experience. Living on Oahu or neighboring islands?
On a related note, have you discovered any particular spots on Oahu or The Big Island that are wildlife or bird photography haven?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back