• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Am I really the sort of vain middle-aged loser who'd buy Leica or suchlike jewelry ? (1 Viewer)

Today, I had a short walk during a brief period of sunshine between rain-showers. I had a look at blooming trees and birds through my Monarch 8x36. Oh, it was great. But I was thinking : these Fujinon 10x50 SMT that I use for astronomy are just so much better; but they're really designed to be perfectly focused at infinity and stay that way. If only I had a pair of these premium-priced 8x42 or 10x42 binos... I only wish there was less choice. What should be on the shortlist ?
Oh, it's not hard to guess. Just read the forums where fellow neurotic guys are posting and get impregnated with lust and irrational spending envy. Swaro 8.5x42 ? Leica Ultravid, or these oh-so-cheap new Trinovid at barely € 1300, perhaps ? The Nikon EDG ? A little Zeiss, maybe ? What else could possibly be good enough to look at birds in the garden once in a while without feeling frustration that it would look even better through more expensive glass, wrapped in a more luxurious body ? Which one would not make me feel like an ignorant bourgeois who buys jewel-like stuff in order to flatter his vain little ego ?
I shall visit a shop where most of these are sold, along with a few less outrageously overpriced options. I want them to be ergonomically perfect, with no objectionable optical flaw. Wish me luck, oh fellow neurotic, and offer thy advice...

Cup of Coffee...USD currency
$2 per day, 5 days per week, 52 weeks = $520
Ten year cost = $5200

Alpha roof-prism bin ~ $2400 (10 year minimum warranty; lifetime use)

If you can afford the best, buy the best.

Pileatus, this is brilliant. Or how about that pack of smokes, booze, movies and eating out. It adds up. It all depends on what you want to spend your money on.

Yes some alpha owners are arrogant, I've been snubbed by many. Are alphas good? You bet. Can you get a lot of glass for 1/4 the price. Definitely.

Oh by the way, welcome to the forum, I am glad you are happy with the monarch.

Last edited:
Yes. Next question?
But seriously, may I suggest a used high grade model like the Nikon HG (Premier)? I tend to think these are eminently sensible choices which avoid the 'male jewellery' stigma of Leica, Swarovski and (to a lesser extent) Zeiss (who are almost as unassuming as Nikon) because there can be no doubt you know what you're about if you're toting a Nikon HG. Rather like driving a highly competent Audi, in preference to a common (loads of 'em) BMW or an intimidating ("get out of my way") Mercedes. With a Nikon HG you can get the job done as well as (and mostly better than) anything else, never appearing pretentious and all the while 'looking like a nice bloke'. I say 'used' since you can find a decent HG for around £300+, yet nobody will know it's not new, so just think of the money you'll save... Go on, go Nikon HG. You know it makes sense!

Didn't Clarkson call Audi the new BMW James? ;)

Rich

PS who plays the bloke who charges for the wildlife fund James?
Yes. Next question?
But seriously, may I suggest a used high grade model like the Nikon HG (Premier)? I tend to think these are eminently sensible choices which avoid the 'male jewellery' stigma of Leica, Swarovski and (to a lesser extent) Zeiss (who are almost as unassuming as Nikon) because there can be no doubt you know what you're about if you're toting a Nikon HG. Rather like driving a highly competent Audi, in preference to a common (loads of 'em) BMW or an intimidating ("get out of my way") Mercedes. With a Nikon HG you can get the job done as well as (and mostly better than) anything else, never appearing pretentious and all the while 'looking like a nice bloke'. I say 'used' since you can find a decent HG for around £300+, yet nobody will know it's not new, so just think of the money you'll save... Go on, go Nikon HG. You know it makes sense!

Yes. Next question?

I like that idea - the Nikon HG (and EDG of course) are worthy of the short list. The new Zeiss Conquest HD are almost sensibly priced, too! I'm following the review on the other thread with interest. Which one would be both unassuming *and* a major chick magnet ?

Audi "the new BMW"? It's twoo, it's twoo! Sadly, Audi have gone the way of all prestige German cars, intimidating lesser marques on the road with their belligerence (apart from beat-up old Land Rovers), their high-intensity-strip front lights and blinding brake lights, exaggerated grilles, and overbearing "I'm considerably richer than you" condescension.
As to your question, Bill Murray's brother Brian plays the Kamp Komfort (a misnomer if ever there was one: what a dump!) clerk. I love the way he twirls his pen while sucking noisily on a piece of water melon: it's so... accomplished!
There are certain films you can watch time and time again; you don't get tired of them, and they just get better and better, a sort of 'Groundhog Day' experience. I watched "Sink the Bismarck" for the umpteenth time the other day and noticed that Captain Lindemann had tight hold of his binoculars, as if hiding them. For one moment he moved his grip, and I saw the likely reason: 'props' had probably not been able to find a correct model German naval binocular, so he was using a US pattern Bureau of Ships Bausch & Lomb instead. I know, I'm a sad case, but it's hard to stop the habits of a lifetime...

Which one would be both unassuming *and* a major chick magnet ?

Aren't binoculars the equivalent of hanging a sign around your neck that screams "stay away?" Would Zeiss make that seem louder? Or would it indicate that one had taste, a bit of expendable income and also to "stay away!" A classier visual deterrent maybe.:D

Aren't binoculars the equivalent of hanging a sign around your neck that screams "stay away?" Would Zeiss make that seem louder? Or would it indicate that one had taste, a bit of expendable income and also to "stay away!" A classier visual deterrent maybe.:D

"Stay away and don't kiss me, my binos don't focus at such close range!"

Perhaps a fellow birdwatching soul ? I hear the hobby is not 99% male, a welcome change from astronomy. "Zeiss ? That off my blouse, Sir! Leica ? take off yours! Cheap Chinese binos ? Take me now, you non-materialist middle-aged wonder!"

Sounds like you would have a more comfortable time viewing with what you have if you removed the chip on your shoulder.

Speaking as an old dyed in the wool punk If alphas are producing such mental embarrasment for you then why not get a pair and cover them in duct tape.

Its a lot simpler than growing up!!

Wish me luck, oh fellow neurotic, and offer thy advice...

thou shall try the prehistoric glass of miracle....Neekond eS-eeE...I wish you good luck for not every man alive blessed with this kind of luck..hahaha!!:-O

now go!!! and reveal thy destiny....

PS :ah, almost forgot...welcome to BF, Bouledamour... ^_^

Last edited:
I wonder how many posters who like to snipe at those who enjoy a high end binocular are sat in front of a tired old desktop like myself, or, are using some super computer which cost a fortune and could probably run a small country, from which they demand 1-2% of its potential to surf the net ?

I wonder how many posters who like to snipe at those who enjoy a high end binocular are sat in front of a tired old desktop like myself, or, are using some super computer which cost a fortune and could probably run a small country, from which they demand 1-2% of its potential to surf the net ?

We are just pulling your leg - and our own. Before we join you, that is. Personally, I'm just trying to be tasteful rather than just buy the most expensive brand in the vain hope that one gets what one pays for (which ain't true at all in the luxury goods market).

In other words, I'm just trying not be another Leica Man like this one:
http://kenrockwell.com/leica/leica-man.htm

But I realize the Ultravids and Trinovids are really good. Hell, I even have a TEC 110 APO so I guess I don't object to paying the price for good optics - when that is justified. Also, my Fujinon are as good as it gets - for € 600, not € 2000+. Similar optical quality in a daylight-oriented 8x42 or 8x32 would make my day.

(written on my quad-core MacBook Pro)

Imagine wearing a good-taste piece of clothes with prominent "Dolce & Gabbana" label. We would think you're a dick as soon as we'd notice, no matter how decent the clothing.

Speaking of "good taste" wouldn't you like to edit the above remark?:smoke:

And it would help to learn to read between the lines also. Both the Trinovid and the SLC are rather plug ugly binoculars especially in the larger sizes.

Last edited:
Speaking of "good taste" wouldn't you like to edit the above remark?:smoke:

And it would help to learn to read between the lines also. Both the Trinovid and the SLC are rather plug ugly binoculars especially in the larger sizes.

"Dolce and Gabbana" is only obscene, not rude.

The relationship between one's ability to "read between the lines" and the alleged ugliness of larger Trinovids eludes my subtlety, I'm afraid.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back