• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Birding Association Field Guide to Birds of New Jersey (1 Viewer)

jedigrant

When I first saw this listed on Amazon, I was a little surprised. I'm not a big fan of most state field guides; in general, I think birders are better served by a full North American guide. But maybe the ABA will change that trend. And if this first entry is any indication, they have. This is a great choice for newer birders in New Jersey, as it includes most of the birds likely to be seen and information specific to the state in a portable, attractive format.

This series will continue with guides on Colorado, Florida, and Massachusetts later this year.

Here's my full review - Review of American Birding Association Field Guide to Birds of New Jersey

I haven't seen it yet, but the Colorado guide came out June 3rd.

The CO guide follows the same general pattern as the NJ one. The main difference is that although they both have roughly the same number of species and photographs overall, CO has about 50 fewer pages. So the average amount of text per account and photograph size are smaller.

Grant, the author of the New Jersey guide is a member here (just in case you didn't know).

Colorado book is on my Christmas list. I sure miss the old ABA birding guides and wish they were being updated.

Colorado book is on my Christmas list. I sure miss the old ABA birding guides and wish they were being updated.

I saw a conversation on facebook that they are very interested in updating/publishing new bird-finding guides. But nothing specific mentioned.

I saw a conversation on facebook that they are very interested in updating/publishing new bird-finding guides. But nothing specific mentioned.

If it happens, that would be wonderful. I am half tempted to try and round up all the out of print ABA guides even though most are not on my current itinerary.

If it happens, that would be wonderful. I am half tempted to try and round up all the out of print ABA guides even though most are not on my current itinerary.

The only reason to go ahead and do so, without current plans to visit, is if they are rising in price on the secondary market. I haven't checked that, so I'm not sure. That said, they are some very useful guides. I know that I got good use out of the Colorado and Wyoming ones.

Louisiana bird-finding guide

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the latest of the ABA bird-finding guides is still available as a free download (or in print, of course, but for brief visits, it's great to have the flexibility to print out and re-arrange those sections you need):

http://www.aba.org/siteguides/la.html

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the latest of the ABA bird-finding guides is still available as a free download (or in print, of course, but for brief visits, it's great to have the flexibility to print out and re-arrange those sections you need):

http://www.aba.org/siteguides/la.html

I am just seeing Louisiana and Michigan available as pdf's. BUT all the books are available except Colorado which I have. I am eating mud. I know what is on my Christmas list8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back