• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Black Duck vs Mottled Duck at Cameron Prairie NWR in Louisiana. (1 Viewer)

mdmoshier2

I took this picture at the Careron Prairie NWR 1 month ago. I feel like it is an American Black Duck not a Mottled duck due to the darker head and bill. the Black duck is listed as very rare and the Mottled duck is listed as just uncommon so I wanted to confirm the ID before putting on eBird. Thank you

_Q2A6215.jpg

Last edited:
Based on feather markings, the left bird appears to be Mottled Duck, while the right bird looks like American Black Duck. Disclaimer: I have no experience with Mottled Duck.

If you post this photo to eBird, and American Black Duck gets flagged as rare, then a regional reviewer who knows a lot more than I do will be able to confirm if it is indeed an American Black Duck.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back