• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American vs. Lesser Goldfinch (Oakland, Ca, USA) (1 Viewer)

has530

After being up for a few weeks, the goldfinches have finally discovered my nyjer feeder! They love it and I have to refill it almost every day. Today while watching them I realized I wasn't entirely sure I would know an american goldfinch if I saw one. Any tips for distinguishing markings of an american goldfinch? I snapped some photos of visitors today. I am assuming all the ones shown are lesser goldfinches but if I am wrong I would be glad to be corrected. Tried to include some that showed various parts of the birds.
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_1609.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC_1622.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 17
  • DSC_1585.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC_1404.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 15
These do all look like Lesser Goldfinches. On problematic birds look for white undertail coverts in all American Goldfinches - these are yellowish (may be quite pale) in Lesser Goldfinches. If you have a good view of the tail look at the pattern of the white. The white stops well short of the tip in male Lesser Goldfinches and females Lessers have essentially none. American Goldfinches of both sexes have white that goes to the tip of the tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back