• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anatidae (1 Viewer)

Yes, there has been a bit of a lull in papers in the past few weeks. I usually pick up a few interesting papers from my different Google Scholar alerts, but something a bit strange has been happening with them recently (more frequent alerts and fewer relevant papers).

I have trouble keeping up with my own field never mind ornithology, so its sometimes hard for me to tell the difference between people not posting or stuff not being published.

And IOC, NACC, and Taxonomy in flux have also been quiet lately, adding to the boredom!

This increasingly justifies the division of Melanitta into Melanitta and Oidemia
Completely agree! Older than Polysticta, Mergellus and Lophodytes. Oidemia are really different as well.

Also interesting to note the relatively old age of splits within Common Merganser assemblage (Common, Scaly-bellied, Auckland and Brazilian), at least compared to the very young divergences in Somateria. Only mtDNA though, can ancient introgression explain the latter?

It's always good to be cautious about trees and dating that rely solely on mitochondrial DNA, especially for groups that are not the focus of the paper (e.g. anything that is not a Merganser).

On the phylogeny and taxonomy lull, we have had an important paper on avian phylogeny this year. As someone who looks down the phylogenetic tree (or do I mean up the tree) rather than looking up from a species checklist it's been a good year, with significant papers on fish and angiosperms as well as the bird one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back