• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anchoring To Eye Brow (1 Viewer)

UTGrad

United States
Hello I am not sure if this has been covered but I wonder if anyone else uses the following method to anchor their binos.

I prefer to have the eye cups fully retracted and I anchor the top of the eye cup on my brow. This gives me a full FOV and also steadies the picture. I’ve been doing it this way for years and don’t have any issues with blackouts.

Anyone else keep the eye cups all the way in and anchor on the brow for a full, steady image?

I wonder if I would even benefit from the NL head rest because I’m essentially doing the same thing anchoring the eye pieces.

Yes, I have done the same for years and it does offer a very immersive and stable view. I do have a few pairs that give blackouts when trying this, necessitating having the eyecup out one stop. With my Conquest, I can get my eye right up to the ocular, giving a huge FOV, eliminating any glare that I might get otherwise and giving a greatly stabilized image.

Hello I am not sure if this has been covered but I wonder if anyone else uses the following method to anchor their binos.

I prefer to have the eye cups fully retracted and I anchor the top of the eye cup on my brow. This gives me a full FOV and also steadies the picture. I’ve been doing it this way for years and don’t have any issues with blackouts.

Anyone else keep the eye cups all the way in and anchor on the brow for a full, steady image?

I wonder if I would even benefit from the NL head rest because I’m essentially doing the same thing anchoring the eye pieces.
Have been doing the same forever ( and always wondered how people could comfortably press the eyepieces into their eye sockets - I don‘t mind the side light at all), but adding a nuance of additional „anchoring“, I place the index fingers on top of the front shield of my baseball hat, which „locks“ the bino more or less firmly in place. Works only up to a certain size of bino.

Re headrest: because of the possibility of anchoring the bino as you describe , the headrest seems most useful to me (I have it on the 10x42) for spectacle wearers, who can‘t use that anchoring method.

Canip

Last edited:
UTGrad,

Yes, I can successfully - and generally prefer to - use the method you describe for the reasons you mention with most of my bins. But like James says in post #2 above (I was typing about the same experience last night when his post appeared and then I got bumped off for maintenance before I could post this) for me it does cause some kidney bean effect in models with 18mm or more ER in which case I have to raise the eyecups to the first stop.

I have not yet tried the NL but based on a number of posts about the effectiveness of the head rest with the NL in various other threads, if you are considering the 8x you will probably have to try it to see whether it makes a noticeable difference to you as others advise. One reviewer did mention that the head rest was particularly helpful in viewing objects at high angles. This makes sense and I have trouble getting a usefully stable view even using the brow anchoring method.

Mike

The head rest of 10x and 12x will transform your viewing. It is an amazingly effective way to really get a rock steady view. I love that feature about the NL.

As for anchoring - goodness me no. In the arctic I found that not cutting out side / backlight, it will kill you with glare. In the desert, ditto. At sea? Have to have the eyecups up and resting against all points of contact or else the image isn't even something I want to contemplate.

I do this with some of the vintage binos I have that have rather short eye relief, like super wide angle 8x30s or 7x35s. But they have eye cups that cannot be moved anyway.
Like these for example.
37j6r.jpg

04kfl.jpg

What you're using is the so-called Molcet technique, a term coined by a BF member. From a post by the undersigned:
"MOLCET=MOreorLess&CEasar Technique, a term coined by Brock (I believe) to describe moving the binos up just under your eyebrows."
Here is a comment by Hermann about Molcet and the headrest:
"Without glasses the MOLCET technique works for me just about as well as the headrest."
There are hundreds of other posts about the Molcet on the BF.
Imo a downside of the Molcet is that the view thru the binos is more affected by glare, whenever glare exists at the bottom of the EP .

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back