• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andalucia Bird Society (2 Viewers)

Rarities in Andalusia

Rare birds in Andalucia are, contrary to the term rare, a frequent part of birdwatching and birding activity here. Such rare birds in Spain as Rüppell's Vulture – Gyps rueppellii – Buitre Moteado are an annual visitor, in fact this species has been recorded in each month of the year, and others like Lanner and Long-legged Buzzard are also being sighted with increasing regularity....

More here : http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org...icle/4-birds/129-rare-birds-in-andalucia.html

Peter

For those either confirmed as coming to Andalucia this month, or contemplating it, migration is starting to hot-up. Black Kite, Common and Pallid Swift, Bee eater and to some extent Honey Buzzard (non breeding birds?) are passing south, White Stork are also passing in good numbers, whilst waders are starting to appear in high numbers, including a couple of recent sightings of Marsh Sandpiper. Small groups of Marsh Harrier are now being seen and Montagu's Harrier are a regular migrant now on their southward's journey.

Peter

Lammergeiers in the skies of Andalucia

More and more activity and interesting articles on the main society website of late, so well worth visiting the site to keep an eye on whats happening here in the deep south...

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org...9-lammergeiers-in-the-skies-of-andalucia.html

The society will be well represented at this year's Birdfair, on the Andalucia stand marquee 4, so hope we might see you there?

Peter

Submitting your bird sightings and reports

The society are desperate to receive your records of bird sightings in the province, current and historical records are both very welcome. Also any trip reports and favourite bird sites... please help us update and compile our bird database here with the information you can provide, thanks... link below for guidance on submissions and also our standard (Excel) report document:

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org...-articles/131-report-your-bird-sightings.html

Hoping you can help.

Peter :t:

The society are desperate to receive your records of bird sightings in the province, current and historical records are both very welcome. Also any trip reports and favourite bird sites... please help us update and compile our bird database here with the information you can provide, thanks... link below for guidance on submissions and also our standard (Excel) report document:

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org...-articles/131-report-your-bird-sightings.html

Hoping you can help.

As an alternative and if it makes life easier, perhaps you could copy and paste your records within a posting on our site? Details below:

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/forum/index.php?board=1.0

Thanks to one and all,
Peter

Not quite Andalucia, but I'm in Gibraltar / Tarifa area for 2 days 9/10 Sept, any recent raptor migration news ? looks like an easterly wind so I guess Tarifa end of straits better.....

Programa Migres

I'm in Gibraltar / Tarifa area ... any recent raptor migration news ?

You need to find the Programa Migres counting stations - Cazalla, Trafico and Algorrobo - as they're the best sites by far and are always staffed with census-counters who are usually happy to give you the local news.

good luck

Next Field Meeting - October 2011

Event: Members Field Meeting
Date: Saturday 22nd October 2011
Meeting Point: La Barca de Vejer Car Park at 0900 hrs and the other 'convoy' at the Car Park of IKEA outside Jerez at 1000hrs
Time: 09.00 am and 10.00 am (see above)

Leader for the day: Stephen Daly

Guadalquivir basin.
Eastern Cadiz and the 'Mighty River' (Arabic translation of the name)

I'd meet some members in La Barca de Vejer Car Park at 0900 hrs and the other 'convoy' at the Car Park of IKEA outside Jerez at 1000hrs.

From Jerez we'd visit Mesas de Asta, Trebujena for a coffee before going down to the Guadalquivir. There's also a chance when having coffee to make a quick visit to the local bodega (opposite) if folks wish to buy sherry etc (very good and cheap!).

Lunch would be at the Venta El Raspa at Algaida - cost around 10 Euros pre head with the best Spanish Fish and Chips around!

We'd visit lots of local sites, ponds, forest, salt-pans, mudflats, brackish marsh etc and river edge. Back to IKEA then return to La Barca.

Probably for the long-distance folks would want to use a hotel in Jerez. If anyone wishes accommodation in the Barbate/Vejer area I can arrange/recommend such for them.

Please post here if you are interested to attend the day. Also if you should require any recommendations for accommodation.

Non-members welcome at 25 Euros per person.

Field Meeting Organiser. Stephen Daly

Largest number of Natural Parks in all Spain - Andalucia

Andalusia has the largest concentration of natural parks in Spain and a great diversity of ecosystems. It is a paradise for birdwatching. Both professional and amateur birdwatchers will be able to observe more than 300 different species in the area throughout the year.

The Andalusian Government’s Environmental Ministry together with the Natural Park Brand (Marca Parque Natural) has created a four-day birdwatching route through various Natural Parks in Andalusia with activities designed for groups of two to eight people.

Along this route, visitors have at their disposal a wide range of products and services from businesses certified by the Natural Park Brand (Marca Parque Natural), which guarantees quality and professionalism combined with a strong commitment to environmental conservation and sustainable development.

The services included in the route are accommodation in hotels certified by the Natural Park Brand (Marca Parque Natural), trips in a 4x4 vehicle, personal guides and the use of optical equipment needed for birdwatching.

The itinerary is personalized according to the client’s taste. The birdwatching route can begin in Doñana, continue through various natural parks in the provinces of Cádiz and Málaga and end in the Cabo de Gata-Nijar Natural Park.

For its geographical situation, the Doñana Natural Park represents an important European link in migratory routes between Europe and Africa, where birds rest on their long journey. In this area one can see the largest colonies of water birds in all of Andalusia as well as a great number of raptors including the Spanish Imperial Eagle, an exciting endemic, which continues to attract the attention of many birdwatchers throughout the world.

The next day the Birdwatching Route travels into the province of Cadiz. In the Estrecho Natural Park the highlight is the Playa de los Lances beach; here the birds are the great protagonists of this show, which reaches its peak during times of migration, that can be enjoyed in the Park’s observatories at different times of the year.

Many of these birds find shelter and food in the Breña and Marismas de Barbate Natural Park as well as in the La Janda Lagoon, where a programme promoted by the Andalusian Government’s Environmental Ministry successfully managed to create a colony of the Northern Bald Ibises, one of the most critically endangered birds on the planet.

The next destination is the Ronda Mountain Range, the perfect place to see birds with a wide range of areas designated as ZEPA reserves (bird conservation areas).

The Ronda Mountain Range houses the Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park and the Sierra de Grazalema Natural Park, both declared a Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO and offers a magnificent landscape with an abundance of raptors and a large number of Passerines.

The trip comes to an end at the fascinating Cabo de Gata- Nijar Natural Park, which is marked by contrasts and is distinguished as a Biosphere Reserve and Geopark. It has the largest extent of untouched beaches on the Andalusian Mediterranean coast. Native birds to the coastal steppe and waders are just some of the species that can be seen in this natural treasure that closes our Birdwatching Route.

The route is marked by its vast natural diversity and sustained by a network of businesses certified by the Natural Park Brand (Marca Parque Natural). The environmentally friendly companies and promoters of eco-friendly integrated tourism, whose personalized products and services will successfully allow the visitor to enjoy all that nature has to offer without being intrusive.

Bird Guides in Andalucia 'Approved Wildlife Guides'

Video in English

Leading the way, naturally!

Andalucia - Birding Sites

I would recommend readers of this thread and those interested in birding in Andalucia to keep a close eye on the 'Bird Sightings' heading (which can be found under the lefthand title bar 'Resources' on the Andalucia Bird Society website.

An effort has just begun to complete info on some birding sites, some familiar ones and hopefully some new ones. One just completed, although information will always be added, is the better known site Laguna Dulce. Take a look and any feedback would be most welcome. If you can contribute to our knowledge of sites and feel you can let us have details as formatted for the sample link, please do let us know!

See here: Laguna Dulce

Thanks for the time and support.

Good to hear you are still alive Peter! I'd been looking at the main site and the articles have been really interesting, so thanks for the updates etc.

Really jealous after reading the report for the Hula Valley Bird Festival, sounded great and incredible to see over 200 species in just 5 days, especially as I'd imagine migration must have been all but finished?

I am over next week, so hope to give you a call for a day around your area, are you in Spain next week? I'll pm you!!

Nearly forgot, thanks for the new ABS Checklist, impressive and so many species now recorded in Andalusia. A handy booklet to carry around with me, I like the birds named in English and Spanish, useful as I often bump into local birders and struggle to describe what I have been seeing and understanding what they are trying to tell me!

See you soon mate...

Nearly forgot, thanks for the new ABS Checklist, impressive and so many species now recorded in Andalusia. A handy booklet to carry around with me, I like the birds named in English and Spanish, useful as I often bump into local birders and struggle to describe what I have been seeing and understanding what they are trying to tell me!

Thanks Derek. It has been very well received and we have distributed and sold hundreds since September. Several people have found the bird names in both Spanish and English very useful when discussing birds here between visitors and residents, the scientific names obviously helps those from other N.European countries, so all in all a success for the society.

As a plug. The pocket sized checklist is 2 Euro to non-members!

Peter

Attachments

• ABS_Cover2.jpg
    ABS_Cover2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 49
Field Meeting - Almeria

Some news on our long awaited Field Meeting to be held in Almeria.

FIELD MEETING - ALMERIA
February 25th, 2012

Briefing:

We´ll visit the Natural Park of “Sierra Maria – Los Velez” looking for birds across different habitats such as forest, steppe and crop fields.
With the direct collaboration of the Natural Park, we´ll also visit the “birds recovery center” inside the Park, allowing us to witness griffons feeding in a special feeding-place (muladar).

Timing: (approx)
09:00 Coffee break and meeting point in Velez Blanco.
09:45 Griffons watching in “El Muladar”.
11:00 Private visit to “La Almohalla” Birds Recovery Center.
12:30 Lunch time; packed lunch bring your own.
13:00 Forest habitat.
15:30 Steppe habitat.
18:00 End of the trip.

Requirements:

Please, consider that we are travelling to a cold area, so it is highly recommended to carry with you winter cloths and appropriate shoes for muddy/wet conditions underfoot. Snow is also possible for this date in the area.
NOTE: It is very important to arrange transport in the area in 4x4 vehicles, so please be prepared to share transport if you have a 4x4 with fellow members.

More Info: http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,580.0.html

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back