• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andalucia Bird Society (1 Viewer)

Red-legged Partridge, Common Shelduck, Gadwall, Mallard, Northern Shoveler,
Red-crested Pochard, Common Pochard, White-headed Duck, Little Grebe , Great Crested Grebe, Black-necked Grebe, Greater Flamingo, White Stork, Western Cattle Egret, Little Egret, Black-winged Kite, Red Kite, Black Kite, Short-toed Snake Eagle, Griffon Vulture, Western Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, Montagu's Harrier, Common Buzzard, Booted Eagle, Lesser Kestrel, Common Kestrel, Great Bustard, Little Bustard, Purple Swamphen, Moorhen, Eurasian Coot, Stone Curlew, Black-winged Stilt, Pied Avocet, Northern Lapwing, Common Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Kentish Plover , Black-tailed Godwit, Common Redshank, Common Sandpiper, Collared Pratincole, Black-headed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Gull-billed Tern, Whiskered Tern, Black Tern, Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Rock Dove, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Turtle Dove, Collared Dove, Little Owl, Common Swift, Pallid Swift, European Roller, European Bee-Eater, Hoopoe, Southern Grey Shrike, Woodchat Shrike, Common Raven, Blue Tit, Great tit, Calandra Lark, Crested Lark, Thekla Lark, Skylark, Swallow, House Martin, Red-rumped Swallow, Cetti's Warbler, Reed Warbler, Melodious Warbler, Zitting Cisticola, Spotless Starling, Blackbird, Stonechat, House Sparrow, Spanish Sparrow, House Sparrow, Iberian Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Tawny Pipit, Chaffinch, Serin, Goldfinch, Linnet, Corn Bunting.

That sounds like a good day out - only wish I was there! ;)

That sounds like a good day out - only wish I was there! ;)

It was a good day Jon, shame you couldn't make it. It did get hot though peaking at around 38C... we managed a paltry 53 species on the day! Listed below:

English Name Spanish Name
Red-legged Partridge Perdiz Roja
Mallard Anade Azulón
Northern Shoveler Cuchara Común
Red-crested Pochard Pato Colarado
Pochard Porrón Común
Great Crested Grebe Somormujo Lavanco
Greater Flamingo Flamenco Común
White Stork Cigüeña Blanca
Cattle Egret Garcilla Bueyera
Little Egret Garceta Común
Black Kite Milano Negro
Egyptian Vulture Alimoche Común
Griffon Vulture Buitre Leonardo
Western Marsh Harrier Aguilucho Lagunero
Montague's Harrier Aguilucho Cenizo
Booted Eagle Águililla Calzada
Lesser Kestrel Cernícalo Primilla
Common Kestrel Cernícalo Vulgar
Eurasian Coot Focha Común
Stone Curlew Alcaraván
Black-winged Stilt Cigüeñuela Común
Avocet Avoceta Común
Kentish Plover Chorlitejo Patinegro
Black-tailed Godwit Aguja Colinegra
Collared Pratincole Canastera Común
Black-headed Gull Gaviota Reidora
Yellow Legged Gull Gaviota Patiamarilla
Gull-billed Tern Pagaza Piconegra
Whiskered Tern Charrán Cariblanco
Rock Dove Paloma Bravía
Turtle Dove Tórtola Común
Collared Dove Tórtola Turca
Little Owl Mochuelo Europeo
European Roller Carraca Europea
European Bee-eater Abejaruco Papirrojo
Hoopoe Abubilla
Southern Grey Shrike Alcaudrón Real
Jackdaw Gragilla Occidental
Common Raven Cuervo Grande
Calandra Lark Calandria Común
Crested Lark Cogujada Común
Sand Martin Avión Zapador
Swallow Golondrina Común
Red-rumped Swallow Golondrina Dáurica
Cetti's Warbler Ruieseñor Bastardo
Western Olivaceous Warbler Zacero Pálido
Melodious Warbler Zacero Común
Blackbird Mirlo Común
Nightingale Ruiseñor Común
House Sparrow Gorrión Común
Spanish Sparrow Gorrión Moruno
Iberian Wagtail Lavandera Boyera Iberica
Goldfinch Jilguero Europeo

More info of the day on:

http://andaluciabirdsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=713.30

http://www.facebook.com/groups/andaluciabirdsociety/?notif_t=group_r2j

Peter :t:

Are there any reliable sites for Red-knobbed coot in Andalucia this period? I am going there next week (to see Iberian Lynx, but I might have some time left).

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Are there any reliable sites for Red-knobbed coot in Andalucia this period? I am going there next week (to see Iberian Lynx, but I might have some time left).

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Depends, you still need a little luck, but had a couple earlier in the week at Laguna Dulce. Maybe some others here might respond with alternatives. Are you going to Jaen for the Lynx? If you are then maybe catch-up with Jose Luis of SierraTrek as he might have somewhere local for the Crested Coot.

Peter

A UK Members remark on the last (October) issue of the Society's quarterly magazine Birds of Andalucia:

Just thought I'd say something about this quarters magazine. I have finally got around to reading it, in fact the plan was to read a couple of articles over coffee whilst keeping in an eye on our bird feeders. Well, two cups of coffee later and the thing read from cover to cover, it really could be twice as long and that would still be too short! What a great read, the notice board addition is a very good idea, keeping the members in touch with the committee, it's very easy for the committee to become isolated from the wider membership, and then the membership loses an idea of just how much work the committee gets through.

I enjoyed each of the articles, so many great photos, excellent words, each with a real story to tell. Some favourites of mine? Juan Luis Munoz story of the Eagle Owl, those eyes! Also John Cantelo on seeing the Lynx, "is it a dog" great reaction, something I'm sure we have all feared when calling something even slightly impressive. The explaination of migration by Peter Jones, the split of large soaring birds and some of the smaller birds I really hadn't thought of before, I really could go on to each item, Well done to all. TREVOR

Why not join and get your 4 copies a year? Cover photo (October Issue) below.

Peter

Attachments

• 2013-Autumn-Magazine-1.jpg
    2013-Autumn-Magazine-1.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 49
I have just received my first ever copy of the report, looking forward to reading it over the weekend. I have booked myself a long weekend in March to come over to the Rio Guadalhorce, looking forward to Digiscoping anything with wings :)

I'll be arriving in Monte Gordo on Wednesday for a week and fancied tootling across the river by pushbike and ferry one of the days to have a look around Marismas Isla Cristina - any tips for best vantage points, migrant areas etc?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back