• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrena bicolor? (Cambs. UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

In the process of moving and my bee book is boxed-up............. somewhere.

From digging around the best I can come up with is a female Andrena bicolor.
Can someone please confirm or put me straight?

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• X13.jpg
    X13.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 6
  • X14.jpg
    X14.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 6
  • X15.jpg
    X15.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 6
Don't think so. A. bicolor should have dark hairs on the face. I'm very much a novice with these but wondered about A. barbilabris, but could easily be wrong.

Don't think so. A. bicolor should have dark hairs on the face. I'm very much a novice with these but wondered about A. barbilabris, but could easily be wrong.
As always aeshna5 you are spot on. Looking at Steven Falk's galleries, he describes it and states "The small-headed build and particularly oval abdomen give it a strong field jizz". And that is spot on. The thing that came across when I watched it was how small the head looked in relation to the body.
In addition, it was found along a roadside (private Anglian Water road) near a number of gravel pits. A typical habitat for this species apparently.
Thanks, Gareth

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back