• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrena ID? - Cambs (UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All
I came across some small bees the other day. They appear to be solitary although there were quite a few in the same place.
There were also some Nomad Bees that appeared to take an interest in the activities of the bees. I haven't identified the
Nomads yet and thought that knowing the bee might help if they are their parasitic partner.

I think that the bees are Andrena sp.?

Perhaps someone copuld take a look at my average photos and hopefully help identify?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 19
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 24
Not haemorrhoa, hind tibia all black, it is a male and I wouldnt venture an id without specimen
Ficedula, I have a Nomad Bee that was harassing the Andrena, so I am trying to pair them up.
The hind tibia..... can this be variable? Attached image from Steven Falk - He says that they are usually orange but as one his own examples shows, this may not be a deciding factor.
If it is A. haemorrhoa then the Nomad (attached) could be Nomada ruficornis?
Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• Andrena.jpg
    Andrena.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1
  • Pic11a.jpg
    Pic11a.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Pic11b.jpg
    Pic11b.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1
Ficedula, I have a Nomad Bee that was harassing the Andrena, so I am trying to pair them up.
The hind tibia..... can this be variable? Attached image from Steven Falk - He says that they are usually orange but as one his own examples shows, this may not be a deciding factor.
If it is A. haemorrhoa then the Nomad (attached) could be Nomada ruficornis?
Yours, Gareth
Well all insects are variable, this is why ID from photos is so dodgy. haemorrhoa always shows some red on hind tibia or basitarsus, in photos often looking a bit brown, yours shows pretty intense black. As for Nomads, I wouldn't like to risk naming these, and simply being close to each other in the field is not much help, Nomada are often found without seeing their host and vice versa.

Well all insects are variable, this is why ID from photos is so dodgy. haemorrhoa always shows some red on hind tibia or basitarsus, in photos often looking a bit brown, yours shows pretty intense black. As for Nomads, I wouldn't like to risk naming these, and simply being close to each other in the field is not much help, Nomada are often found without seeing their host and vice versa.
Thanks for your input as always. Photo's are the only way for me. I can accept it if I can't tie down the species.

Thanks again. G

Thanks for your input as always. Photo's are the only way for me. I can accept it if I can't tie down the species.

Thanks again. G
If you are not going to take specimens then this is an essential attitude. Only images that show positive and diagnostic features can safely be named from photos, usually in genera without many species. Usually this means structural characters, colours being less reliable.

I get that Ficedula and I am resigned to the fact that I won't be able to get down to species level on many. But I am a photographer more than an amateur entemologist. I like nature full stop. And I struggle killing things just so I can identify them. It's a personal thing and I don't judge others, it's just not for me and I hope this doesn't offend. G

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back