• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another day a leighton moss (1 Viewer)

peter hill

Well not just a day a weekend ,set of from home about 5 30 had a sightning of 2 badgers at potshrigley ,then on to the moterway and a uneventfull drive to juntion 35 m6 came off at 35a and breafasted at truckstop would recomend :t: Then on to the sea hides first stop the far hide no one in a quick look round and we soon picked up the 4 snow geese graseing on the far side of the pool +the feral white goose ,no sign of the banicale some stunning looking pintails dipping on the pool
On checking the far small pools to the right we saw a lone greenshank ,a check of the posts drew a blank < no raptors> 5 minutes later a guy came in the hide and within minutes asked us if we had seen the merlin we soon found it on one of the said posts distant but a great veiw with the scope ,the morning was getting better and better a few redshanks scatted around but not the normal as the pools were a bit to deep for good wading We then went to the first hide there was a flock of lapwings and a few teal not a lot else ,it was then on to the centre ,check what was about the sightings book read bitterns were showing from 2 or 3 hides fingers crossed Fist stop was the feeders very busy with finches and tits all starting to look bright and in top condition about 10 minutes there then on to lillians hide ,the sun was now higher and it made it difficult to se things to the right of the hide ,to the left every thing was fine herons stalked the margins wigeons ,teal ,pintail ,goldeneye ,potchard ,tufftys ,mallards,gadwell, were all feeding in the sun The next hide was to be the grisedale but the trees on route can turnup intresting birds ,a small flittering in a yew on the right of the path was inspected great a goldcreast <a year first > a little futher attissu nosie revelled a marsh tit i think ? On gettint to the hide i went to the right side a my wife went to the left i was checking the margin reeds for snipe when donna informed me there was a peregrine on a tree to the right a quick check with the scope a large peregrine poss a female sat looking as if it was drying out nice a couple of little egrets were splashing in the far margins ,the tim jackson was low on birds but 8 or so deer bathed in the sun to the right of the hide It must be time for somthing to eat back to the centre for somthing to eat and a coffee blue tits feed from the feeders hanging from the centre wall suitable refilled we headed back to lillians ,the sea fog was threatning to move in but just held off long enough to spot a female goosander. We then made our way to the public hide hoping for a bittern no such luck a greater black backed circled but no other new birds for the day by the time we got to the lower hide the fog had dropped in and you could only see 50yrds so we walked on round to the far end the woods were birdlees apart from another goldcreast and a few great tits just before reaching the road we saw a buzzard and near the golf course a kestral all i all a great day

Attachments

• merlin 2.jpg
    merlin 2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 72
  • peri 7.jpg
    peri 7.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 63
  • deer 5.JPG
    deer 5.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 62
  • great tit    8.JPG
    great tit 8.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 44
Nice report Peter, I too had merlin on the posts from the sea hides last month. Not lucky enough to get a picture though as it was up and away before I could touch the camera.
I envy you the red deer, I saw a couple of hinds last year from the Tim Jackson hide but the sun was in totally the wrong place for getting decent pictures.
Willow tit haven't been recorded for Leighton Moss so it's a safe bet saying your bird was a marsh tit.

Are those four snow geese tickable? I remember seeing three (with three canada geese) fly over my head last September when I was at Grange-over-Sands. If they are then keep them there.....I'll be in the Lakes in a fortnight's time and a day at LM is a must! :king:

Aaah a 'pencil tick' they are then ;) I've got a couple of those on my Life List - Richardson's Canada Goose and Great White Pelican....on my Life List but not my UK List...yet! :smoke:

So looking forward to my fortnight off.....got an obscene amount of birding planned....and best of all? Hubby is not off for my first week so I can get out gallivanting whilst he sleeps during the day :king: I'm determined to catch up with those Bearded Tits at LM too.....I don't care if I have to be there before dawn and camp out near the boardwalk grit tray until I catch a glimpse of them! ;) :-O

The local consensus on the snow geese errs towards the genuine, they arrived at the right time of year and are easily spooked, we will have to wait to see if they depart come the spring.

The picture is complicated by the resident white farm geese that regularly get reported in the reserve sightings book as "snow geese!", I blame Collins they should have put a comparison pic of a feral white goose in the new edition.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back