• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lucky storm gives us good Bittern views at Leighton Moss (1 Viewer)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
As part of the Jubilee beak we did a trip up to Leighton Moss. We were doing OK, glimpse of a Bittern, good views of a Marsh Harrier, Bearded Tit and Cetti Warbler etc. We got to the lower hide just a drop or two of rain fell, it eventually became torrential and the sky showed no sign of it easing; people were deciding to give up the days birding and head back to the visitors centre. We decided to sit it out along with 3 older birders and an 8 year old boy called Noah (his first visit with a great aunt) suddenly two of us called in unison "bittern" and all six of us got on it and saw a second bird join it in flight and fly across the reedbed. As is normal for bitterns the birds quickly flew into the reedbed but what was unusula was that I was able to follow the birds in an get them in the the bins and then the scope for all to enjoy. The birds (two males I think) then sat and occasionally displayed and boomed for 45 minutes while in view.
To make Noah's day I was able to point out an Otter that showed quite well in the same area and then an Osprey with a fish, we all agreed with hime he was one very lucky boy to see a first Bittern, Osprey and otter on the same day.

My photos across the mere were poor in the light but capture the moment.

Attachments

• 2 bitterns.JPG
    2 bitterns.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
  • bittern.JPG
    bittern.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • bitterns in the rain.JPG
    bitterns in the rain.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back