• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Great Day in the Pyrenees 2021 (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Can't believe its 2021 already, time flies when you're twiddling your thumbs!

Anyway, not much in the way of birding. It's been super cold -10 during the night, a chunk of snow

Managed a handful of ski touring trips which has been my highlight. Walking up a hill in about a hour to ski down in a about 10 minutes but you get lots of time to watch and listen to the birds. A Lammy the other day and a large flock of Griffons. The biggest news was a very low Alpine Accentor c. 500m altitude. I was following a very erratic 4x4 who stopped for no reason just after a hairpin - I was busy watching the Accentor and nearly rear ended him! Fortunately, my passenger managed to shriek a warning I was doing my impression of an owl turning their head behind them!

After the skiing I then saw 1 probably 2 Red Billed Leothrix (one on view and one hidden) and then 5 Alpine Accentors again at c.500m altitude! Great.

I have failed to find any Wallcreepers this winter despite looking in various haunts, the Eagle Owl is hidden but we have two Lammys on eggs and two unknown as yet - watch this space.03BE76D0-7D8A-4BFC-91EE-DF60471045BF.jpeg9705B71B-BC63-4717-BF22-5EE91C86FEDC.jpeg

Nice afternoon out today looking for Lammy nest - after seeing three adults together last week nearby!

I started off by seeing one in the same area and scoped some of the mountains opposite, without success as it had disappeared. It reappeared in the same area about 15 minutes later hmmm.... They don't actually need much to nest on and I'm thinking it's blinsided behind some trees or ridgeline.

I followed it up the road a bit to find 2 in the air and pretty low. I walked up a bit to get a better look both sides and they went down the mountain, so I followed them in the car only to find that they went back up... This was turning into the Grand Old Duke of York - but you need to get them landing somewhere once you have a general area.

At the same time a Golden Eagle came across, again followed by a second and this one was carrying a branch. They played together for a while but stayed airborne so I went back to the Lammys which had gone the other way and then wow two Goldens and two Lammies virtually together above me!

The Goldens turned into 3.

Finally, at 16.30 the two Lammys went down the mountain, north. Thinking this could be roosting or home time I headed off again in pursuit. Despite various stops in the vicinity of a previous nest I couldn't get back on them.

Last stop I had a sniff at the Eagle Owl (forgot to mention that I saw it on the way up). It was still there so merited a digiscope.IMG_5407 2.JPGIMG_7376.JPGIMG_7382 2.JPGIMG_7383.JPG

Eagle Owls do exist - I see it! Usually people just post images of a cliff faces with directional arrows 😁

I wonder if that Golden Eagle is a first time nest builder or adding to an existing eerie?

And they keep coming.

Bit repetitive I know but had 7 hours in the mountains yesterday trying to track down the missing Lammy nest. Started at last years nest which looked pretty sad and the lights were definitely off. Instead got some distant views of some Izzard on the mountain tops then Flav got onto some Ibex, something I have never seen here (seen the bouquetin in the Alps but not the Spanish race here). We counted 10 on the mountain opposite including some cracking males - again distant but modern scope and all that (not mine because I left the 38w lens in Portugal so I'm running on 25x). I tired to digiscope but they were just too far. Ended up with 42 Izzard in total to boot.

Finally some aerial action as three Lammies came into view and they were joined by 2 Golden Eagles (distant photo) plus a handful of Griffons. The problem with seeing three adults together is that none on them are sat on an egg and this is getting super late. The only positive was that these were different adults to at least one of the the two I saw on Wednesday - no tail moult.

Like Wednesday we spent the day driving up and down the mountain trying to find a scent. The next highlight was an adult landing on a ridge and then eating something for a good 20 minutes. Sadly, the digiscope didn't work!

There was a higher adult and then some Golden Eagles - incredibly 5 in air in close proximity at one point. I have never seen 5 loosely together before!

These were followed by a pair of Peregrines, they played for a bit and then one sat on the mountain top surveying the scene, I wonder if he had seen this many Golden together along with the Lammys....

I kept trying for Wallcreeper at the same time but to no avail.

IMG_7388.JPG

Eagle Owls do exist - I see it! Usually people just post images of a cliff faces with directional arrows 😁

I wonder if that Golden Eagle is a first time nest builder or adding to an existing eerie?
The pair were playing with the branch - I don't know whether they were actually passing it...

Even funnier I spent an hour Lammy chasing again and got a nice picture of a cliff with an arrow!!

As the clouds cleared I saw two adults drifted up and then down the mountain so I stalked them. Up then down running ahead to see if they landed and where.

Then I noticed a little point on a rock and one had landed, the second drifted round and then it happened - she was one that had landed and he was the one that followed if you get my drift... I took a picture of the 'act' with my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_5442.jpg
    IMG_5442.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I've just come back from a quick recce where, good news, the Lammy is sat on a nest! With a Griffon nest 5m below...

I will endeavour to get some snaps this week. Also the Eagle Owl sat guard around their nest.

Great news all round!

Sorry Deb another cliff shot where you can make out some twigs a head and a tail but only because I'm telling you there is a head and a tail! (Whilst I'm at it am I making a mistake by pressing insert on the picture - would it just leave it as an attachment otherwise?)

Double Ps the really bright sun on the bottom left is the Griffon nest. I will try harder to get better pictures. Has a couple of Golden Eagles - one there and one over the house - and a cracking Firecrest as well....

IMG_5470.JPG

The Lammy nest looks well used judging from the scat markings on the rocks.

I shall be watching the progress of breeding vultures with interest in this little patch!

The Lammy nest looks well used judging from the scat markings on the rocks.

I shall be watching the progress of breeding vultures with interest in this little patch!
I think it's a fleece rather than scat...

The nest was used 3(?) years ago, and only once, but they failed very early on.

Very little to report but have been out Owl prospecting and still looking for the elusive 4th Lammergeier nest, if it exists...

On that point I found my own Bouquetin the other day - the first one is the hardest. In this case it took a good 20 minutes scoping. Then only another 10 minutes to find the main party of 8 (which were only about 50m from the first) - camouflage!

The bowling was mixed - the first night just heard Tawny Owls and lots of them. I didn't realise they would be so dense.

Then the return of the Scops Owl which is great news.

Finally, last night a trip out with 3 other volunteers (one I had met once and two fresh faces who have moved to the valley). We walked up through the wood on two different paths and then started gradually walking down after dark. 18h until 21h30. On our side we had one calling Tawny and then a very distant Eagle Owl - bearing in mind we were on the treeline c.1600m I found that impressive. The Eagle Owl moved a little closer and I must admit I really hesitated over Eagle or Long Eared, the latter of which I have no experience of hearing call (certainly that I can remember), and it was at the limit of audible range.

No Tengmalms though for either group although the other pair had 4-5 Tawnys...

Scops Owl very busy calling around the village but last night headed up the mountain.

Cheating a little headed to the Tengmalms wood. After setting up camp, and spotting the Lammergeier over our site, wandered into the woods. The kids were too noisy and it was a teeny bit early so packed them off.

A Tawny started calling and then a bird flew up onto the tree next to me. Too small for a Tawny too big for a blackbird but only a silhouette and absolutely no sound... Interesting but as vision was about 5% I had no chance of getting further with it.

Back at the site and a nice camp fire. However, as the wind was super strong decided against another sortie into the woods. The evening was eventful - the wind was supposed to have died down but it managed to wake me regularly and thankfully because at 03h25 I started hearing the Tengmalms. Seemingly close but despite a trip outside I couldn't see it! It called until 06h15 - as I said sleep was limited because of the wind, I was actually woken by being pinned and having a tent in my face!!!

Great night if a little tired now.

A friend had the Tenglamalms calling in the afternoon where we had been and saw a Capercaille just in the fringe of the trees!

Awesome

I envy the Scops Owl calling in the village - I missed the sound of electronic beeping last time I was in continental Europe a few years ago and obviously didn’t get to hear it last year. I think they must be declining in parts of Europe like everything else - they should be easy!

I envy the Scops Owl calling in the village - I missed the sound of electronic beeping last time I was in continental Europe a few years ago and obviously didn’t get to hear it last year. I think they must be declining in parts of Europe like everything else - they should be easy!
They are expanding here!

What I have noticed over the last 8 years or so that they have been in the village is that they are arriving earlier. Also there are big periods when you don't notice them calling which I had assumed coincided with actual breeding and sitting. Sort of follows the Eagle Owl pattern which call a lot pre breeding not during then kick off a bit after...

Speaking of owls ‘our’ Tengmalm’s owl is calling regularly during the day....

yesterday in the same spot I heard him during the day. Let’s hope no COVID restrictions and can get up the mountain when it’s fledging time (see some great pictures of young Tengmalm’s kicking around the lower branches after fledging)...

Grr, latest here suggests that we might be able to travel in late May, but your owls may still be under curfew. Any facts as opposed to speculation which seems to be a growth industry these days?
Good news of the Lammies.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back