• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another rubbish book about birdwatching (1 Viewer)

Adrian Riley' s "Arrivals and rivals" is a bloody good read. As is anything buy Stephen Moss. Charlie Elderss "while flocks last" is also a cracker.

Last edited:
I think different people like different things in a book. There's also different levels of 'literature' I guess (eg Harry Potter - gave up halfway through the first one, but obviously a few other people liked it ... admittedly most of them were probably 9 year olds ;) ). Each to their own. It's easy to critisice.

Kenn Kaufman's book was of course excellent, although personally I found some of the existential pondering in the second half did became slightly too ponderous, and detracted slightly from what was a great adventurous birding epic. But maybe that was just me.

Last edited:
FJ I am assuming you mean the DH98 version rather than the irritating 6 legged thing? A truly magnificent machine, I once met RR299 at Duxford after it had flown in from Brough, clicking away, sad it died at Barton (and Hoof Proudfoot with it).

Well I hope the rubbish book is not mine, but will have to take it on the chin if it is I guess - gulp.

Indeed, I have some old wet film pix of RR299 at low level in the Pennines (Dambusters 60th I think) which are among my most precious possessions.

However Hoof was sadly killed at Duxford in a P38 Lightning, the Mossie crew was from BAe.

John

Oh what a gaffe. The P38 was Duxford, the Mossie Barton I believe? Shame both nice planes great Airfix kit models.

By the way, did I even mention I wrote a book about my love of aviation? ;-) (True!)

What about birding fiction?

As both an aspiring author and a birder, it should come as no surprise that the two aspects of my personality intersect fairly frequently. Generally, it's a safe bet that, regardless of the genre (and I am dabbling in most all of them), there will almost certainly be at least one birder or other naturalist character in every one of my stories, though not necessarily as a main character.

Right now, I'm writing a short story based around the ABA Area-first Bare-throated Tiger-Heron of December 2009 in Texas (which I wasn't there to witness). In short: college birder girls from Austin bring along the new, non-birder boyfriend of one girl to south Texas to see the heron, but then their car breaks down after seeing the bird, and hilarity ensues as they try to get back home. As you can imagine, I try to appeal to both the birding and non-birding crowd, giving non-birders a relatable storyline and birders relatable situations (e.g., discussing the pros and cons of different field guides, name-dropping sparrow genera, etc.).

As for other stories, I have a birder who fights the supernatural, birders who become involved (professionally, romantically, or both) with spies, a birder who was a teen idol (no, not because of the birding)...the list goes on.

I'm also already working on an autobiography, despite having not done anything particularly noteworthy yet, simply because the adventures that birding lends itself to can make for great storytelling.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just wanted to throw in my two cents.

This is a very curious review, not only are the author and title not mentioned but it appears most other birdwatching books are a waste of time.

I look forward to the OP's opus.

In the meantime here is a short list of books about birdwatching that are not a waste of time. One of them got me into birding.... guess which.

Bill Oddie's Little Black Bird Book

John
Thats my guess...

Avesjohn, it is interesting that you mention fiction, I am currently toying with that idea but a mystery concerning birdwatching is going to have such a small audience (particularly when they saw I wrote it ;-) that I wonder whether it is really worth the bother.

Avesjohn, it is interesting that you mention fiction, I am currently toying with that idea but a mystery concerning birdwatching is going to have such a small audience (particularly when they saw I wrote it ;-) that I wonder whether it is really worth the bother.

I think Ann Cleeves has done it with some success.

Stephen

Sorry but I don't want to reveal the name of the book I was referring to because there is a good chance that the author might be a forum member.
I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.
Still I will continue to search for a readable book about birdwatching and might have a look at some of the titles that have been mentioned.
All the best

I read an Ann Cleeves novel which was set in Shetland but that was about it with regard to birdwatching. I didn't enjoy it much either.

Not all her books are birding whodunnits, there may only be one. If you can do better than her you will be just fine.

Anyway over 50 posts and we aren't even going to find out what the book was. Hey ho.

Stephen

I wasn't aware any of them were? The one I read was Raven Black I think. Even though I didn't like it much I admire her for writing a novel, it is not for the faint hearted having tried and failed already (8000 words and gave up). I have a bit of a plot but it needs developing and getting the characters right is the most difficult bit for me.

I wasn't aware any of them were? The one I read was Raven Black I think. Even though I didn't like it much I admire her for writing a novel, it is not for the faint hearted having tried and failed already (8000 words and gave up). I have a bit of a plot but it needs developing and getting the characters right is the most difficult bit for me.

You're in a hobby that includes all our favourite joke-butts and you have trouble with characters?!!!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back