• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another unidentified bird, Wild Sumaco, Ecuador (1 Viewer)

pbourdin

A small, sharp-billed bird feeding on fruits in the orchard behind Wild Sumaco on July 19th. In company with several species of tanager and Purple Honeycreepers. Reminiscent of the flowerpeckers of south-east Asia. It was seen only briefly.

Attachments

• Mystery 1.jpg
    Mystery 1.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 27
It could also be Black-faced but the eye color looks reddish-brown instead of yellowish, so I would still be leaning towards Yellow-bellied

For what it's worth, I'd lean more towards Black-faced.
In my experience, Yellow-bellied is dingier below, whereas the really pale underparts contrasting quite neatly with the gray head match better with what I'm used to in Black-faced.
As for eye color, the red or yellow, respectively, is usually quite striking. In this bird I'd call it pretty much intermediate. Combined with the pale base to the mandible, my guess would be that this is an immature bird.
(Also, looking at ebird bar charts, Black-faced seems to be vastly commoner than Yellow-bellied at Wildsumaco).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back