• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tapaculo-fest: A week in Northwest Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Love to read someone visiting more or less the same spots almost a year after me. And interesting how much of a difference it can be. Partially by the approach and partially by the time of the year.
Both my Bellavista and Paz de Las Aves experiences were very different, while Yanacocha is very similiar. Looking forward to the next parts.
Having just glanced at your trip report, just wait until you read my Milpe and Rio Silanche experiences, which also are the opposite of yours! Although I tend to think everyone's experience at Rio Silanche was the opposite of mine!

A few images from Bellavista
Giant Earthworm
Strong-billed Woodcreeper
Plate-billed Mountain-Toucan
Golden-naped Tanager

Attachments

• IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    848.6 KB · Views: 18
After leaving Refugio Paz de Las Aves, it was time for lunch, but the lunch stop itself was a birding spot: Mirador Rio Blanco, which was on the way to Milpe. This place had probably the most impressive and active set of fruit feeders, although the few hummingbird feeders proved to be not all that interesting. Visitors to the feeders included several lifers, namely Rufous-throated and Silver-throated Tanagers, as well as Ecuadorian Thrush. Other visitors included Blue-gray, and Flame-rumped and Palm Tanagers, Orange-bellied and Thick-billed Euphonia, Bananaquit, Orange-billed Sparrow, Buff-throated Saltator, and Red-headed Barbet, my first really good looks this trip for this bird. Another Ornate Flycatcher perched nearby, while a Squirrel Cuckoo lurked in some adjacent vegetation. We also took a walk to the patio over looking said Rio Blanco. We didn't luck into any interesting raptors, just Turkey Vultures, but we had more White-collared Swifts as well as Gray-breasted Martins. After a decent lunch, it was then off to Milpe. We first stopped along the short entrance road, which passes through some cattle pasture. Yellow-bellied and Variable Seedeaters were present here, as were more saltators and Flame-rumped Tanagers. A Blue-necked Tanager kept eluding my view, but I was able to get my lifer Choco Tyrannulet here, as well as Southern Beardless-Tyrannulet. Rain threatened, but other than a brief light misting, we were lucky enough for the rainstorm to not set in until the drive back to Mindo

Upon arriving at Milpe, the first stop was the hummingbird feeders, which had a different complement than other feeders we had visited, with more typical lowland species. New hummers here included Crowned Woodnymph, White-necked Jacobin (a common but fantastic hummer that was one of my favorite of the trip), Rufous-tailed Hummingbird, Green Thorntail, Green-crowned Brilliant, and White-whiskered Hermit. After soaking in the hummer action, it was then time to hit the trail. A rather tame Central American Agouti was also added to the paltry trip mammal list

Luck would be with us at this site, with this being one of the more productive spots. Almost feet from the feeders we encountered our first mixed feeding flock, which included a whole host of new birds. Among these new birds we had Wedge-billed Woodcreeper, Ochre-breasted Tanager, Scale-crested Pygmy-Tyrant, Slaty-capped Flycatcher, Yellow-throated Chlorospingus, Scale-throated Foliage-gleaner, Rufous-rumped Antwren, and Choco Warbler. Plus of course some birds I had already seen earlier in the trip or in Panama, such as Plain-Brown Woodcreeper. From here we continued on the trail, which is a large loop with some slippery muddy-bits, which I am glad I didn't need to backtrack on. We tried for Club-winged Manakin, but had no luck, and none were even heard. As has been stated elsewhere, this used to be a reliable spot for them but not really any longer. There were some frustratingly shy White-beared Manakins, however they never came into view, at least for me. More cooperative, even if they induced "warbler neck", were both Yellow-throated and Choco Toucans. Another mixed flock included more Rufous-throated and Bay-headed Tanagers, as well as Lineated Foliage-gleaner. Here and there Nelson tried playback, although I am not sure we got many responses. We did however pick up a pair of well-behaved Tawny-breasted Flycatcher. As we neared the end of the loop another mixed flock was found (Although this could have been one of the prior flocks, with just new birds identified). These birds, unlike the ones at the entrance, were pretty high in the top of the trees, but the light was better here thankfully. Many of the same birds were present, but we also had White-shouldered Tanager and Buff-fronted Foliage-gleaner. Not part of the flock, but hanging out in the same area, was a small flock of Bronze-winged Parrots, a nice look at a group of birds that had for the most part been content to have been backlit flying silhouettes. We would get one last treat here: Great looks at a beautiful Speckled Nightingale-thrush.

After this it was time to head back. We had some roadside Scrub Blackbirds, which I would get better (non-driveby views of later in the trip, but otherwise not much else to report.

Tomorrow would be Amagusa, than Oilbirds!

Pics from Day 3:
Andean Cock-of-the-rock at lek
Crested Guan
Zeledon's Antbird
Toucan Barbet
Ochre-breasted Antpitta
Velvet-purple Coronet

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    633.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Day 4 was another early morning long drive, in this case to Amagusa. In fact, this would be a day in which almost half of it was spent in a vehicle, with a total of 3 2-hour drives. EEK. The goal here was to bird Amagusa at first light, and after lunch drive to Chontal for the oilbirds, and from here drive back to Mindo. It's not an ideal itinerary: I would strongly recommend if folks are going after the Oilbird to see if you can just do a day for that, because pairing Oilbird with Amagusa makes a kind of brutal day.

Amagusa Reserve however was well worth the visit, and the morning would be pretty decent with most target seen. Our first stop was the light, which attracts and assortment of insects that in turn bring the insect-eating birds in first thing in the morning. Within the vicinity of the light we had Pacific Tuftedcheek (which is actually nesting above the light, the equivalent of renting an apartment above a pizza place), Cinnamon Becard, Black-billed Peppershrike, Linneated and Scaly-throated Foliage-gleaner, Zeledon's Antbird, and Dusky-capped, Golden-bellied, and Slaty-capped Flycatchers. A good haul of species in what was probably less than half an hour I would guess. Some fruit was also put out, which provided point-blank views of Rose-faced Parrots, a Choco speciality of the site. We then checked out another set of feeders, passing a cooperative Indigo Flowerpiercer on the way, another site specialty. A range of different birds were in this vicinity, most of which we had seen elsewhere, although I think Bay Wren was new for the trip, as were a pair of Plumbeous Pigeons. The fruit feeders attracted Moss-backed and Glistening-Green Tanagers, alongside Golden and Flame-rumped.

We then walked the road the short distance to the gate of the Milpe Lodge. This private lodge does not allow visitors sadly, even though the grounds have some good Choco specialities hard to get elsewhere. It also charges, according to Nelson, a $1000 dollars a night. For that price, there better be Tinamous taking my luggage to my room! You got a sense of how birdy the lodge trails must be, since one of the most productive spots was literally the area around the gates marking private access. There was a lot of activity here: A Collared Trogon perched in the tree, while a Green-fronted Lancebill was nesting in a nearby small building. We also had visits by the recently split White-throated Daggerbill, a hummer that I don't think frequents feeders really. A mixed flock had our first Flame-faced Tanagers, a bird I really thought I would have seen by now: Summer is a poor time of year for tanagers, as their is more food and so less need to chill out by feeders. We also had Streak-headed Treehunter here, and a pair of Esmeraldas Antbirds skulked low down. One of the main specialties here is the rare Choco Vireo, and we were fortunate to have one in the bare branches of a tree over the gate, affording good looks. Upon walking back to the feeder/comedor area revealed new birds. A Swallow Tanager perched high above the road in a bared tree, not behaving much like a typical tanager. a mixed flock included the only manakin of the trip it would turn out: a rather unexciting female Golden-winged Manakin, and also some underwhelming female Golden-collared Honeycreepers. While this was going on, a guide with a group of clients from Milpe Lodge ventured past us. The guide knew Nelson, because seemingly Nelson knows everyone even remotely related to birding in the area :). The clients were I think mostly from Europe, and were obviously not birders, and just sort of doing this birding walk as a tourist thing to do. While Nelson honed in on what would be a Black Solitaire, the Milpe guide had corralled a snake he identified as a Crowned Centipede-snake, a rear-fanged venomous snake that effectively posed no danger to humans. Although Nelson said instead it was an entirely different snake. I am not sure if this was a case of taxonomic revisions, but I am going with the Crowned Centipede-snake as its listed as common for the area and the Milpe guide got a better view of it than either of us, since by the time I saw it, its head was already undercover.

Missing the cooperative solitaire from earlier, we spent some time trying for it. Thankfully it didn't put up much of a fight, and good views were had of Black Solitaire. This is another speciality of the site and is a gorgeous black-and-white thrush, and well worth tracking down. We also heard Andean Solitaire, however this bird didn't feel like playing.

We made our way back to the comedor and feeder area. The hummer feeders here attracted a mix of species that were mostly birds seen at Bellavista or Milpe, but there was one additional target here that was new: Empress Brilliant, and soon enough we had this bird. The fruit-feeders brought in some new birds for the day, including Black-chinned Mountain-Tanager and Orange-bellied Euphonia, and better views were had of Flame-faced Tanager. At this point another band of tourist showed up, as a guided tour for the Chinese Bird Photography Association showed up, and a parade of folks with cameras that probably cost more than my car lined up at the fruit-feeders. Word passed down that a pair of male Golden-collared Honeycreepers had come down to the feeder, but they were gone by the time I got to the correct ones. Fruit-feeders were not great after this, not because birds weren't coming in but just with the crowding. In their defense, they were polite, it was more my anxiety (I am not good with crowds) that made it not a fun experience.

From here, and prior to lunch, we walked up the road, using playback and just keeping our eyes open for new birds. Birding was slower here and required a bit more work, but eventually added birds to the trip list. I believe we had a decent mixed flock here (at this point some of the exact sequences of events are becoming blurred from the whirlwind trip. This flock contained birds we had seen earlier, but also some new species, including Blue-necked Tanager, Uniform Treehunter, and Andean Solitaire. We tried for quite some time to get a Uniform Antshrike into view, and managed kind of crappy but at least countable views. Orange-breasted Fruiteater was more cooperative and good views were had of I think both male and female birds. Playback was needed to coax out a Bronze-Olive Pygmy-Tyrant, a bird that if we missed here we would probably miss for the trip. Not needing any coaxing at all was a Common Tody-Flycatcher, the sclateri form which is a potential split from the birds I saw in Panama.

After this, we had a good lunch at the cafe, amusing myself as much with the cute dog (named Junior) that one of the cooks brought with her as I did with the birds. There was some final frustration here. Soon enough the bird photographers made there way to the cafe. One of whom was awesome enough to decide the best place for him to rest and have lunch was to sit on the low wall RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FEEDERS, blocking them from view for just about anyone. It's one thing to being blocking view for photos, but he was turned away and not even paying attention to this set of feeders. Needless to say, I never got a male Golden-collared Honeycreeper. Otherwise however, we pretty much got all our targets here, and it was a satisfying morning of birding.

Now...it was onward to Chontal and Oilbirds!

The afternoon was of course devoted to traveling up to the Chontal area, to try for Oilbird. Oilbird was one of my most anticipated birds. I have a fondness for weirdos and it's hard to find a bird much weirder than the Oilbird, and I have been fascinated by them ever since reading about them in the animal cards I had as a kid. It's a big nocturnal frugivorous bird, the only representative of its order alive today, that echolocates and hangs out in caves. How bizarre is thatHowever to get there is quite a slog, a 2.5 hour drive over poor roads. If the Oilbird hadn't been so desired, it almost certainly wouldn't be worth the effort, especially as it meant skipping out on Guayabillas Road, a newish hotspot with a bunch of birds hard to get elsewhere in the area. The drive itself didn't produce much in the way of new birds, except for Shiny Cowbird, a nemesis bird I have missed on multiple occasions in Florida as well as in Panama.

There seem to be several potential oilbird sites or at least access points around Chontal. The site we chose was a private reserve on the property of an elderly farmer named Antonio Romero. The cave here is quite easy to access. You walk down a flat dirt road surrounded by agriculture and a few stands of trees, with a shorter trail that leads to a wet narrow ravine. No climbing down ladders, rock-climbing, or tractor rides, which seem to be a feature of some of the other sites. We stopped at Romero's farm to pick him up, as he accompanied us and provided a key to the gate. We then walked to the cave. Surprisingly, the dirt road was quite birdy, with a mix of lowland human tolerant species that were new for me and the trip. These included good views of Pacific Antwren, Little Cuckoo, Slaty Spinetail, Dull-colored Grassquit, White-thighed Swallow, and Gray-capped Flycatcher. Many of these would only be seen here. We eventually arrived at the ravine, a cool location with its shadowed walls and small waterfalls. We spooked a few of the closest Oilbirds, but the others seemed quite comfortable around people, mostly just staring down at us and giving us relaxed viewing and good photo-ops. What I was most struck by was the size. I never really pay much attention to measurements in field guides, so somehow I always figured these would be nightjar sized. NOPE. These birds were the size of a hawk, somehow making them even weirder.

After getting good views, we started walking back, netting two new birds: Purple-crowned Fairy, a species I missed in Panama, and a pair of Pacific Parrotlets feeding in some low vegetation.

We dropped Romero off at his homestead and then began the marginally shorter drive back, which thankfully did allow us to get on a good paved road. The roadside was interesting. Apparently it had been part of a big road improvement project, and you can see piles of boulders which had been cleared (poorly) to allow the passage of the road, although newer piles were on the sides of the road itself, bringing attention to the risk of landslides here. Only one new bird would appear this afternoon. In the town of Guayabillas, while we were stopped for I think gas, a pair of Masked Water-tyrants, another human tolerant species which has actually benefited and expanded its range due to deforestation, could be seen by the road. Really cool birds, making me wish more flycatcher were that distinctive.

Tomorrow would be the last day in the lowlands, where we would visit the famous Rio Silanche Bird Sanctuary!

Yeah...it's interesting to see, despite a similar itinerary and the same guide, how different our experiences were at the same sites.

I do think one common thing I learned is that while it was more expensive, actually staying at a lodge vs in Mindo does make a difference. it leaves more time for actual birding versus driving, and actually lets you take better advantage of trails and feeders. Often better food and sleep as well. Bellavista and Guango Lodge were some of my better days, and both were helped by spending overnight at the lodges.
Where did you stay in Mindo?

Where did you stay in Mindo?
Cabanas Armonia. Fine as a budget accommodation but no birding on-sight, as its well within Mindo. Was sort of loud at time and again the room layout was kind of weird, with the amount of glass involved. Kind of felt like I was staying in an aquarium in aquarium at times. Did have all the appropriate amenities though, although you had to get dinner elsewhere.

Cabanas Armonia. Fine as a budget accommodation but no birding on-sight, as its well within Mindo. Was sort of loud at time and again the room layout was kind of weird, with the amount of glass involved. Kind of felt like I was staying in an aquarium in aquarium at times. Did have all the appropriate amenities though, although you had to get dinner elsewhere.
From my own experience, you get what you pay for. When I went, Nelson offered an extra room in his house, which worked well for me, but the neighbors dogs would bark at least until 1AM at times, thankfully I was too tired to care most nights.

Since my next trip is with a group of people, I am making sure to stay at a proper lodge (Sachatamia Lodge), don't want people complaining because of the lodging.

Your Amagusa experience was pretty close to mine, main difference for me was missing Golden-collared Honeycreeper all together and the loud weed-whacker from Mashpi Lodge staff, I think this is the one you mean, that just made sure the heliconias frequented by the Sicklebill were cut off!

Also, pretty surprised how many birder groups you encountered, for me, outside of Paz de Las Aves, the trip was pretty devoid of people in the other birding spots, it was to the point that the local guide in Milpe joined us because he was bored and wanted to bird a bit with Nelson.

From my own experience, you get what you pay for. When I went, Nelson offered an extra room in his house, which worked well for me, but the neighbors dogs would bark at least until 1AM at times, thankfully I was too tired to care most nights.

Since my next trip is with a group of people, I am making sure to stay at a proper lodge (Sachatamia Lodge), don't want people complaining because of the lodging.
To be fair I never sleep all that well away from home, and that propensity seems to have only increased as I have gotten older. My mindo lodging was perfectly serviceable, but I would be tempted on a return trip to rely more upon lodges, even if it meant a few less days of travel.

Your Amagusa experience was pretty close to mine, main difference for me was missing Golden-collared Honeycreeper all together and the loud weed-whacker from Mashpi Lodge staff, I think this is the one you mean, that just made sure the heliconias frequented by the Sicklebill were cut off!

Also, pretty surprised how many birder groups you encountered, for me, outside of Paz de Las Aves, the trip was pretty devoid of people in the other birding spots, it was to the point that the local guide in Milpe joined us because he was bored and wanted to bird a bit with Nelson.
Amagusa was good, and I wish the schedule allowed Guayabillas road as well. But I don't regret going after the Oilbird, especially since the next likely South American birding trips are likely to not feature the bird.

Besides Refugio Paz de las Aves, We also ran into other birding groups/people being guided at Yanacocha and Papallacta Pass. We pretty much had Milpe, and Rio Silanche to ourselves, and I was the only guest at Bellavista and Guango. So it was a mix of no one around to ALL THE PEOPLE around.

Amagusa was good, and I wish the schedule allowed Guayabillas road as well. But I don't regret going after the Oilbird, especially since the next likely South American birding trips are likely to not feature the bird.

Besides Refugio Paz de las Aves, We also ran into other birding groups/people being guided at Yanacocha and Papallacta Pass. We pretty much had Milpe, and Rio Silanche to ourselves, and I was the only guest at Bellavista and Guango. So it was a mix of no one around to ALL THE PEOPLE around.
Very much enjoying the well-written report, the Mysticete. We’ll be headed to many of those places in about 5 weeks. The up-to-date information is much appreciated!

Steve

To be fair I never sleep all that well away from home, and that propensity seems to have only increased as I have gotten older. My mindo lodging was perfectly serviceable, but I would be tempted on a return trip to rely more upon lodges, even if it meant a few less days of travel.
Yeah, that gets tougher on paper/real life, you see on paper, "oh a travel day isn't too bad since I'm staying in the next lodge 2 nights" it is bad once you start week 2 and you are on your fourth 5 hour drive of the trip...

I'll still go the budget route when alone, but when going with others, I always make it clear to the guide that I want everyone to have a comfortable experience, since for many their birding trip is their one vacation for the year.

Day 5 (and the last day in the lowlands)

Today was the day for Rio Silanche, which would require another long drive and early wake-up, as the plan was to be there at first light, to have a try for Rufous-fronted Wood-Quail, a species possible around the tower. Rio Silanche was the lowest elevation site we visited, and so features again another cast of birds not possible elsewhere on the trip. An increasingly isolated patch of forest, this lowland site is often noted by many people as being a highlight of any visit to the area, producing the biggest trips lists. Many people however doesn't include me unfortunately.

Things started off strong however. Upon arrival, we immediately heard the wood-quail, and while they were difficult to spot in the dim early morning light, I did manage to get views of some Rufous-fronted Wood-Quail shapes scurrying across the forest floor. From there the plan was to spend the dawn hours at the top of the local canopy tower. It's not as impressive as some towers elsewhere, but it does the job of putting you at canopy level.

Birds proceeded to arrive in small numbers over the next few hours. Some of the commonest visitors included Blue, Scarlet-thighed, and Yellow-tufted Dacnis, Green Honeycreeper, White-shoulder Tanager and Bay-headed Tanager. Choco Tyrannulets were present, as well as Black-capped Pygmy-Tyrants. Less common visitors included a female Orange-fronted Barbet and Scarlet-browed Tanager, as well as Chivi Vireo. Snags attracted Ruddy Pigeons, Yellow-throated Toucans and Pale-mandibled Aracaris. Hummers included White-whiskered Hermit and Purple-chested Hummer. On the parrot front Bronze-winged Parrots and Chestnut-fronted Macaws flew by, the latter a species I had only ever as introduced birds in Florida. No raptors appeared this morning, and in fact it was a bit cool and overcast, which might have effected things.

We then decided to try our luck around the entrance, although things still remained slow. Lesser Swallow-tailed Swift soared overhead, but no Gray-rumped, common here and a potential lifer. Palm, Blue-gray, and Golden-hooded Tanagers were present. Our first raptors appeared, but they were just Turkey vultures. We did slowly pull a few interesting birds. Some canopy-top Gray-and-Gold Tanagers gave us the run around before I could finally get good views, as did Sooty-capped Tyrannulet. A pair of Barred Puffbirds were more cooperative, and were a nice add: I love Puffbirds but hadn't seen any this trip. A White-tailed Trogon was also seen here, although not the hoped for Choco/Blue-tailed Trogon

From here we walked up the road and to a Volleyball court (!), which was surrounded by farmland. This was a surprisingly productive spot, in part helped by some playback of Pygmy-owl calls that riled up some birds. Many of the birds seen however were species seen earlier in the trip, however House Wren and Yellow Tyrannulet was new. The Pygmy-owl call also brought in some more Masked Water-Tyrants and Scrub Blackbirds, improving the roadside views from earlier in the trip. Pacific Horneros were around, an overall larger bird than I expected. More interesting were some of the birds that just happened to be around, even if not responding to the playback. These included Smooth-billed Anis, and several lifers including Streak-headed Woodcreeper, Band-backed Wren, and a beautiful male Guayaquil Woodpecker. Violet-bellied Woodpeckers were also present.

We then headed back towards the car, noting some Yellow-tailed Orioles and a dandruff-headed Olivaceous Piculet, a new subfamily for me. We tried playback for some more species, but had no luck, But Nelson did hear the distinct sounds of a pair of owls up the road, the way we came, perhaps spurred by our morning playback. Pacific Pygmy Owls! We hurried back up the road to try for these small owls, getting great looks at a bird perched above the road. This was only the second time Nelson had recorded this owl here, but its a species that is bound to become more common. It's range is expanding, and much like the blackbirds and water-tyrants, it prefers the degraded habitat caused by chopping down forests. So a great lifer but probably not a good sign for some of the Rio Silanche birds. This habitat patch has become increasingly isolated, and due to this has suffered attrition already, with some that used to be regularly seen now far more uncommon. We spent some time at the feeders, however the hummers were largely the same as what we saw at Milpe. We never did try the trail, which I was bummed about. I suspect our time at Rio Silanche may have been more compressed due to the mix-up in dates for Paz de las Aves. That site is actually on the way towards Quito, while Rio Silanche is an hour in the opposite direction. This meant we would be in for a much longer drive in the evening, and consequently had a bit less time here than it deserved.

We weren't done yet however, as the plan was to head into town for lunch, then come back and focus on the entry road. Driving back, we had an Ecuadorian Ground-dove, another westerly species expanding its range. While at the restaurant waiting for our meal, Nelson hung up his speaker in a shrub across from where we were sitting and played more owl calls. A range of birds came in, including a few new ones for the trip including Yellow-crowned Tyrannulet and Yellow-bellied Elaenia. Saffron Finches and more Ecuadorian Ground Doves were also present.

Then it was back towards Rio Silanche, to try for more birds. The afternoon was if anything less productive. We added a few trip birds, including a Bat Falcon, Lesser Greenlet, and Purple-throated Fruitcrow, which very much looked like a crow. A molting Thick-billed Seedfinch was new. We tried for some different antbirds, but they also mostly stayed far away if they responded at all; Russet Antshrike was probably the most responsive. Driving back out was marginally more productive. Stopping for a group of Dusky-faced Tanagers also got us a bonus Western Woodhaunter. We stopped at a wet creek crossing, where Nelson tried for Rufous-tailed Jacamar, the last missing Neotropical bird family I had realistic chances for on this trip. We didn't have much luck initially, although the stop did give us our only Sulphur-rumped Flycatcher and Masked Tityra of the trip, ,as well as close views of a Roadside Hawk. Most interesting (for me) was a turtle we found in a muddy pond. My first thought, based on head-shape, was some sort of kinosternid. Here I discovered that the Mindo book didn't cover any turtles at all, because there are "none" around Mindo (not correct, as there are records of mud turtles from Mindo). I had to turn to internet sources later that evening, but was able to identify it with high confidence as a young South American Snapping Turtle, my third and final herp for the trip. After not getting much luck at this spot, we headed back to the car, where I soon spotted a distinctive shape perched in a short tree: Rufous-tailed Jacamar! After this, it was time for a long slog of a drive, arriving just before dark at Zaysant Lodge, as we needed to be in Quito as tomorrow we would be visiting the highlands.

Ultimately, Rio Silanche was sort of a dissapointment, more so than Yanacocha, and definitely the biggest of the trip. I mean, we missed Choco Trogon, which I don't think I've seen missed on ANY trip report that included this stop, not to mention a range of other birds like Rufous-winged Tanager, Gray-rumped Swift, Hook-billed Kite, Black-striped Woodcreeper, etc. A lot of hot and sweaty work without much pay-off. Definitely a site I would like to hit up in the future should the opportunity arise.

Day 6 would see a early wake-up at Zaysant Lodge for the last full day of the trip. Today, we would be focusing on the high Paramo of Antisana National Park, before driving over to the East Slope to try for seedsnipe in Papallacta Pass, overnighting at Guango Lodge. Venturing into new environments meant that once more I would be exposed to a new set of species and lifers, and the chance for some awesome critters.

We made stops along the road, where the habitat looked promising. Several stops near a set of mountain quarries, with low polylepis brush proved productive, producing some birds we had earlier seen at Yanacocha (Yellow-breasted Brushfinch, Black-crested Warbler, etc), but also some new birds, including White-crested Elaenia, Brown-backed Chat-Tyrant, and Crimson-mantled Woodpecker, a gorgeous woodpecker I had hoped to see, but with woodpeckers being a bit scarce this trip, I feared missing. Other birds of note here included a flyover adult Black-breasted Buzzard-Eagle, while a quarry lake had a good-sized flock of Yellow-billed Pintail.

We soon arrived at our first stop, which was also our breakfast stop, the Tambo Condor lookout. This is a small raised wooden-platform overlooks distant cliff walls, which are a reliable location for one of the stars of today and the main reason I was even venturing here: Andean Condor. The largest flying bird in the world, and an endangered species in Ecuador, the bird needs no introduction. Even without a scope you could see the guano whitewash on the cliff, marking this indeed as a popular roosting area. Nelson soon had a pair of birds in the scope, a juvenile alongside a adult male. The low vegetation around the platform also proved birdy, producing Black Flowerpiercer, Tufted Tit-Tyrant, and Plain-colored Seedeater. Another raptor also flew into view, the pretty cool looking Carunculated Caracara, a bird that would prove quite common with Antisana National Park proper.

Continuing onward after breakfast, the neck stop was a small vegetation-lined gully located at the base of some hills. Here the terrain began to shift to Paramo proper, long rolling lush grasslands that evoked a wetter Wyoming more than any other spot in Ecuador we ventured in. Chestnut-winged Cinclodes was quickly seen, as were some flyby Band-tailed Pigeons. Variable Hawks soared overhead, and indeed these would be a common site for the rest of the day. One obvious difference in avifauna from here versus the lowlands was the abundance and ease of viewing of raptors.

This small area would prove to be one of the most productive spots of the morning, the sheltered vegetation offering shelter for many local specialities. These included Black-winged Ground Dove, Paramo Ground-Tyrant, Stout-billed Cinclodes, the common Plumbeous Sierra-finch, Andean Tit-spinetail, Grass Wren, and Many-striped Canastero. New hummers for the trip included Black-tailed Trainbearer and uncommon Ecuadorian Hillstar. The latter certainly ranks amongst the most gorgeous hummers of the trip, and it was nice to get a view of a perched male after females at first seemed to only be present.

Soon we would enter the National Park proper. Antisana has only recent received this designation in the last year or two, hence why ebird still lists it as a reserve. Passing through the long, rolling paramo, Brown-bellied Swallows swooped overhead, while Andean Lapwings and Carunculated Caracaras dotting the field, joining American Kestrels. Mammals were evident here as well, in this case fairly sizable herds of Andean White-tailed Deer. These deer instantly became common once we entered the park proper, which suggests that the laws against hunting may not be as effective as some would claim. These are considered, at present, to be a subspecies of the widespread White-tailed Deer, the "same" species as the ones I see so commonly around Wisconsin. However they are much more gray, and the habitat and behavior seem different. The Ecuador Mammal guide treats them as a separate species, and while I don't do so, I expect other checklists may follow suite in the future. Certainly the complex needs a good perusal.

Near one of these fields we stopped and began scanning, as Nelson had found the local to be a reliable spot for Andean Ibis. This handsome endangered ibis is a specialty for the park, but very missable, as the tall grass can easily conceal them even if they are present. Thankfully this would not be the case, as it wasn't too long before a pair of Andean Ibis flew across the road and landed in open ground near the deer, affording good views.

Next it was time to hit up Lake Mica, a reservoir within the park that supplies much of Ecuador with its freshwater. For this reason, the lake is protected, and one can take a trail around the lake, but you still remain quite distant. This of course is THE place for Andean water birds, and that certainly proved true. A single Andean Gull fluttered over the surface of the lake, while scanning the shoreline and some adjacent marshy ponds revealed Andean Duck, Andean Teal, Andean Coot, and Silvery Grebe. Of note, I don't think we had any pintail here, making our pick-up of them earlier lucky. walking back to our vehicle we made a stop at the ranger station for a bathroom break, where a Tawny Antpitta was hopping around the parking lot and sidewalk like it was a robin back home. I know this species is notorious for this, but its still surprising to see such a bold antpitta doing this, although it wasn't so bold to afford me photo-ops. Plumbeous Sierra-Finches were also common here, as was Great Thrush. Something to note hear...walking even short distances was rough: You really feel the altitude here, and it doesn't take much effort to get winded!

Then it was time to make our way to our lunch spot, the restaurant of Tambo Condor Lodge, famous for hummingbird feeders that reliably attract Giant Hummingbird, aptly named considering it is the world's largest hummingbird. On the way we tried to pull out a few birds, in particular hoping for some of the scarcer raptors such as Cinereous Harrier and Aplomado Falcon, which we never got despite my attempts to turn kestrels and variable hawks into more interesting birds. We also tried for the one likely remaining songbird target, Paramo Pipit. Unfortunately, there was just too much wind today and the pipits were keeping under cover today, resulting in this being the one major miss of the morning.

At the lodge, we ordered food and retreated to the deck. The deck itself provides a view of a distant hilltop, and can be a good place for Condor. We indeed did have a flying bird here. I was excited to hear that a Spectacled Bear had been seen leisurely foraging on the hillside, however it wasn't currently in view, dashing my hopes. We acquainted ourselves with the hummingbirds here, which consisted of many Shining Sunbeams (far more common here than at Yanacocha), Sparkling Violetear, and Great Sapphirewing, while Black Flowerpiercers were also about. A Cinereous Conebill, a warbler-like tanager we had been trying to get on all day, also visited the feeders.

We then had a nice warm meal, the hot Ecuadorian soup (soup is certainly a staple here) welcome in the somewhat cold, jacket-requiring weather. After eating lunch and buying some locally made chocolate, we went outside to the feeders, as we were still missing the Giant Hummingbird. Nelson chatted some more with the owner about the bear, and not long after the owner left did I hear the words that would mark one of the days highlights: "Oh look, there it is". Nelson soon trained the scope onto the hillside to reveal a active foraging Spectacled Bear, certainly the mammal of the trip! The bear afforded good views, as it went about its feeding, tearing apart the bromeliads that are its favorite food. Given that the bear was probably a mile away, it certainly didn't mind our observation, and although my photos through the scope are more bear-shaped blobs than anything else, it was nice to get long leisurely looks after the colossal blunder of missing the bear at Bellavista. Even more cool when you consider that South America's only bear is also the only surviving lineage of the Tremarctinae, a once widespread new world group of bears that included the fearsome Bulldog Bear, a massive monstrous cursorial bear capable of running down Elk for dinner.

I had earlier mentioned Black-billed Shrike-Tyrant as a possibility, but Nelson mentioned it was uncommon and not to expect it: Thankfully a bird was seen perched up on a post affording distant but good views. We also eventually got a single Giant Hummingbird, perched on the powerline. kind of a bummer in that I hoped for pictures on a feeder to provide it with proper scale, but it was hard to be too disappointed after seeing a bear.

From here it was time to drive East, to get my first taste of east slope and to try Papallacta Pass for seedsnipe!

Last edited:
As we drove out of Antisana, and towards the East Slope, a omininous sight appeared. A cloud-cloaked mountain side.

Papallacta is on the east slope, and the east slope gets a lot of rain, at least at this time of year. This presents probably the biggest challenge for birding Papallacta, in that over 50% of the time its going to be rainy and cloaked in fog, not exactly producing ideal birding conditions. And that would be the case today.

The antenna towers at Papallacta pass were our destination, and our main goal was to try to see Rufous-bellied Seedsnipe. This was the last possible new bird family I could reasonably expect to get on this trip, which belongs to a group of birds that are a bit easier farther south. They are fascinating little shorebirds, effectively convergently evolving to fill the same niche as Northern Hemisphere ptarmigan. Like those birds, they are cryptic and secretive, and can be tough to find in less than ideal conditions. Today was less than ideal conditions. We weren't the only folks up here looking for them. For the second time on the trip, we ran into a group from Tropical Birding, who were doing the extension. When we arrived, they group had been there for an hour with no luck, and the fog and mist did a number on visibility. It was cold and unpleasant, and the elevation did not make exertion easy. We made the executive decision to use the remaining birding time to go a bit lower down in elevation, and try for some of the other specialities of this habitat.

We didn't have to go far for the weather to clear up, and we stopped by a grove of Polylepis trees. These stunted tangled hedges are the home for a range of potentially new species, with the big speciality here being Giant Conebill. This bird is not easy here however, and is not always seen: Nelson however had seen it just a week prior on his last venture to the habitat. The paramo here is quite a bit different from the drier paramo fo Antisana, full of wet boggy areas and these groves of vegetation. Many of the birds are the same, but there are also some east slope species. The first of these we would encounter was a very active and cooperative Paramo Tapaculo, the last new Tapaculo of the trip, which without much effort showed practically at our feet. Paramo seems to be seen less (at least locally) than many of the other Tapaculos seen on the trip, and I didn't have realistic expectations of even seeing one. The Tropical Birding group also showed up. Nelson and the guide joined forces, with us concentrating on what segment of hillside while the tropical birding group concentrated on another.

While the Conebills were no shows, we did get some other new birds. Hummers in particular were cooperative, and while looking for the Conebill we managed to see Blue-mantled and Rainbow-beared Thornbill (the latter sadly only females) and Viridian Metaltail, east slope specialities of the site. White-chinned Thistletail also showed. We tried our hardest to get a White-throated Tyrannulet to show, but although we got a hint of movement as it responded to playback, it never really came out. Overall a frustrating experience.

From there it was off to our accommodation, at the lower elevation Guango Lodge. Guango Lodge is justifiably well known for birding, just off the highway and running along a mountain river. The accommodations were cosy, although the folks working there definitely considered it to be much more colder than I did, as they typically supply hot water containers to warm yourself when sleeping, something I never remotely felt necessary. Food was pretty great here as well.

We got in late enough that there really wasn't much time for birding, but I did add a few new hummers for the trip, namely Tourmaline Sunangel and Chestnut-breasted Coronet. Then it was off to bed, for the final morning of birding the next day.

Looking forward to the guango report. Was one of my favourite Birding spots in Ecuador. Sad to hear your silanche experience didnt go as expected.
For the seedsnipes we had very good (maybe too good) weather up there and missed them as well.

Today was the final half-day of birding, before the hour or so drive back to Quito and my 6:30 flight. Had I picked a flight later in the evening, Originally the plan had been to bird in the early morning at the lodge, then head back to Papallacta Pass. I made the executive decision to skip over this, to spend more time at Guango Lodge. There were far more species possible here than we would have at higher altitudes, and there was no guarantee conditions would be any better than yesterday. Also, to be honest, at this point all of the hurrying to and fro was getting old; I wanted my last morning to be a bit more "leisurely", with more time spent on the trails than in a car.

This turned out to be a good choice, as this ended up being one of the best mornings of the trip, despite the rain and not great weather. Weather that would have made Papallacta pass even less enjoyable.

We started at first light by going to the moth trap that was set up at the lodge, to wait for the arrival of the various birds that would feed on the bugs attracted overnight. Bananas are also left out here, although I don't think this early in the morning. However that didn't stop a few Andean Guans from paying a visit. The first arrivals consisted of Turquoise Jays, a near horde of these beautiful corvids, with 20 seen at one time. Not long after both Tyrannine Woodcreeper and Russet-crowned Warbler also showed. Chestnut-capped Brushfinch, a species we had missed earlier in our trip, hopped around the area in front of the hide, while Mountain Wrens lurked in the surrounding vegetation as did Rufous-collared Sparrows. It took awhile, but eventually small numbers of Inca Jay also showed. IOC splits these although ebird still considers them as part of the Green Jay species, although to me they look pretty distinct and are certainly worthy of recognition at the species level.

After some time here the next plan was to try for Torrent Duck. These rapids dwelling ducks are reliable here, but they have sizable home ranges, and it can take some luck to easily find them. This luck was not with us on our first try, as we walked up and down the river. We did however get several other Rapids loving birds, including good numbers of Torrent Tyrannulet and multiple White-capped Dippers.

At this point, it was time to check the Antpitta feeder, which recently has reliably had a Chestnut-crowned Antpitta. This was the antpitta we skipped out on at Refugio Paz, so it was a bit worrying to not have any of the staff show up at the designated time. Thankfully, even if the staff weren't punctual, the Antpitta was, popping up and bouncing around, looking for the worms we did not have. Sorry dude...

We had some time before breakfast left, so we took a visit to the feeder set up. A variety of hummers, including the specialties from yesterday, were present, but new this morning was Long-tailed Sylph.

After one of nicer breakfasts for the trip, it was out to try for the duck again. First though we encountered a mixed flock in the parking lot. This consisted of Montane Woodcreeper, Pearled Treerunner, Spectacled Whitestart, Capped Conebill, and new for the trip Gray-hooded Bush-Tanager, a east slope specialty here.

We walked a much longer route along the river, a route that required the occasional boulder-climbing as we followed the river upriver, in search of the ducks. A Rufous-breasted Flycatcher appeared alongside the river, confusing me as I initially heard Rufous-breasted Chat-Tyrant, a much different bird. We encountered a good size mixed flock along the river as well. That was high in the trees and entirely backlit. Yay? As luck would have it the mixed flock would give us better views later when we reconnected with it. Which we had time to do, as we soon spooked a male-female pair of Torrent Ducks! The male mostly kept out of sight, but the female provided nice long looks.

With this target down, we then followed the trail away from the river and on the other side of the trees containing the mixed flock. Here there was good light and they weren't so high up, coming to the edge to feed. Lots of goodies and East-slope specialities here, including Short-billed Chlorospingus, Black-capped and Black-eared Hemispingus, and Blue-and-Black Tanager, along with most of the same species from the parking lot mixed flock. Of particular note, the Capped Conebills here gave especially good views, allowing one to see the blue cap (in poor light they just look like a solid-black bird).

From here we crossed the road and took a trail up the mountain side, in search of more Guango Lodge specialities. Should be noted in that while we mostly only encountered light mist, if that, Guango Lodge is pretty wet overall. The lodge supplies rubber boots, and I can't recommend borrowing them enough, as the trails were frequently very muddy, and the boots allowed me to focus on birding and not trying to keep my shoes mud-free.

Heading up the trail it wasn't long before we encountered a beautiful Rufous-crowned Tody-Flycatcher, a bird considered rare here but one Nelson has encountered regularly enough at this site, at least recently. A Rufous-breasted Chat-Tyrant, the last Chat-tyrant for the trip, also appeared. Not far away we also had really good looks at Cinnamon Flycatcher, and a few new birds including the only Hooded Mountain Tanager of the trip and a small flock of Mountain Caciques. Normally these visit the moth feeder, but they were strangely absent today. Needless to say, it was good we could encounter them here. We then encountered a small mixed flock that gave us better views of Black-eared Hemispingus alongside Black-crested Warbler, but also had Citrine Warbler, the final new warbler of the trip.

Not long after this Nelson though he heard a distinct call, and silently motioned me up the trail. At first I couldn't see what he was pointing at, largely because it was blocked from my angle, but shifting positions soon revealed the bird: A beautiful Gray-breasted Mountain Toucan! There is a banana feeder here that the lodge puts out, but Nelson was skeptical of our luck. There were a lot of fruiting trees at the moment and the Mountain Toucans weren't reliable at present. We got long protracted looks at this bird, which was without a doubt one of my most wanted for the morning. Only a short distance up the trail a passing flock of rather plain Scaly-naped Parrots flew by, while a beautiful Powerful Woodpecker flew in, a rather scarce Campephilus woodpecker. We continued rounding the trail, and happened across one more mixed flock. Besides some repeat birds, this also included Lacrimose Mountain-Tanager (one of my favorite bird names) along with some Slaty Brushfinches. It was then time to turn back, but as it turned out we had one more final surprise (well, for me, not for you if you have read my signature. Nelson heard a distinct call, and crouching down we had a gorgeous Chestnut-naped Antpitta hop into view. We missed this at Zuro Loma and I had no expectation of getting another opportunity. What a great final new bird for the trip.

After this, with rain beginning in earnest, we headed back to the Lodge for lunch and some final packing and souvenir shopping. We made one final brief birding walking around the parking lot for Pale-naped Brushfinch, which was a bizarre miss for us. Nelson said this was the FIRST TIME EVER he had failed to see or even hear this species on a birding visit here, going to show the sort of weird luck I had on this trip, getting some really good birds while missing some easy species that everyone gets.

Then it was a drive to the airport followed by a arduous set of flights home, including overnighting in the Miami Airport.

I'll probably have one more post or so, wrapping up this trip report

Users who are viewing this thread

Back