• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another unidentified fungus (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I found several examples of a black fungus lying around in some local woodland (mostly birch and oak). I am not at all sure that the black colour is natural - could they simply be dead toadstools? I couldn't see any that were growing in an upright position - almost as if an animal had come along and nipped them all off at the base. Anyway, I thought I'd see whether anyone can cast some light on their identity. I took the photo with my phone so it won't win any prizes ;)

Attachments

• fungus ex 20180827_121450 (1200) low res.jpg
    fungus ex 20180827_121450 (1200) low res.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 20
russula nigricans, possibly. They start white, turn brown and finish black (ish)
I am not an expert, but came across one year's ago, in the New Forest from memory, but I may be wrong.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back