• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ants (1 Viewer)

Some hummingbird feeders have a built-in ant maot you fill with water. There are also water traps you can buy that you hang above the feeder. Below are a few examples of items you can buy. I would stick to using ant guards that only use water.

Attachments

• 5835_125.jpg
    5835_125.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 6091_125.jpg
    6091_125.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 92
  • ant-125.jpg
    ant-125.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 5886_125.jpg
    5886_125.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 95
Is there a way to keep ants off the hummingbird feeder?

The one way I did was to thread the wire that the feeder is hanging from, through a small flat plastic lid from a food container (like pringles chips)and put a film of oil cooking or vaseline on the lid. the ants wont go through it.

I don't advise using any type of petroleum around the ant moats as it can easily transfer to any bird trying to sip water. Just my thoughts though.

Yes, hummingbirds do eat insects heavily, but I do not recall any records of hummingbirds eating ants. Please do not use vaseline (generic is petroleum jelly) anywhere near any bird feeder. A little petroleum can be harmful to the birds.

If vaseline (petroleum jelly) is not good for them, you can use this

Make it completely inaccessible to them
One cup blocks the way to the other
If you will get the cups close together (the small one a little into the bigger one) – birds will not be able to get their beaks to the lower cup and you can put in anything you like.
You can also hang it up side down and just fill the lower cup with water (in rainy places) or Talc\ginger powder at dry places

Attachments

• DSC08909.JPG
    DSC08909.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 38
I really like the HummZinger feeders which has a built in ant moat. They work good for photos because the way they are made you can catch a hovering shot and easily miss or crop out the feeder. They can be found at
www.aspectsinc.com

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back