• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any birding tips for mid-March in Madera Canyon, Ramsey Canyon, Cave Creek Canyon, and Aravaipa Canyon? (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I'll be traveling throughout SE Arizona for spring break with my family and we'll be going to quite a few canyons (the ones mentioned in the post title), as well as Whitewater Draw and Hot Well Dunes.

I know it's not peak birding season, but that's when I have time (I'm a teacher), so I'm going to try to make the most of it.

Does anyone have tips for one or all of those places to help me maximize my time? I'll probably have a good 5 hour chunk of time at all of those canyons (minimum, probably more), but I'm not sure what my time should look like while I'm there. Are there specific locations or trails that are especially fruitful?

I don't have any target birds, if that helps.

Thanks for any help!

I’ve been going to Cave Creek in the fall and spring the past few years and it’s always a great hike. There is a spot on private property with a number of feeders that is open to the public that is like a five-ring birding circus. It’s located near Foothills Road and S. Crissal Road on Google maps. (Yes, I’ve seen a Crissal Thrasher there.) We’ve had a fairly mild winter in Tucson, so you might see more than you’re anticipating.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back