• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any guess as to subspecies of this RTHA seen in Sinton TX February 26, 2024 (1 Viewer)

Demeter420

United States
View attachment 1562473RTHA 3.pngRTHA 2.pngRTHA backside but farther away cropped.JPG
Shot of backside too low res to be of use but i studied it for a long time through scope. It had barred tail. I counted 8 bars and saw no red on tail. Head and face were pale with distinct white above eye and white ring around neck. When I went to other side, I saw distinct belly band. I tried to upload video of it in flight, but I think file is too large and I don't know how to edit video yet. A local bird veteran says Eastern RTHA. What do you think? Can you make a guess based on these photos and my description?

Attachments

• RTHA 3.png
    RTHA 3.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 9
I tried to upload video of it in flight, but I think file is too large
Well done Demeter getting your post on here for ID, much the better place for that.

To upload a video, first get it hosted on another site, such as YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, then link to it either in the Gallery or here in the ID forum using the "Media" icon above (the double landscape one).

That way, I'm not sure size matters, but I've never handled videos so don't quote me on that one.

Well done Demeter getting your post on here for ID, much the better place for that.

To upload a video, first get it hosted on another site, such as YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, then link to it either in the Gallery or here in the ID forum using the "Media" icon above (the double landscape one).

That way, I'm not sure size matters, but I've never handled videos so don't quote me on that one.
thank you. i will do that

Red-tailed hawk - for those that don't do abbreviations.
I don't do races of these things, but the pattern and colour you describe for the tail is that of an immature - and is, I think, fairly independent of race/geography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back