• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any tips on attracting Baltimore Orioles ? (1 Viewer)

Kentucky

Expect the Orioles to show up in late April early May.
If memory serves that is about when they arrived in 05 and 06.
Have not seen one hereabouts before 05.
I am 0 for 2 in getting one to my feeders.
I have offered grape jelly in a saucer and orange wedges impaled on nails after the first sighting. Maybe I should put something out earlier ?
The male perches (hides would be a better description) in the high tree crown next to the feeders, looks things over and then taunts me with his "cheep, cheep, cheep,,,your cheep call (could he be saying cheap ? smile).
He called for close to six weeks before he found his mate.
Never did see any chicks or juveniles though.
Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Drs. Foster and Smith said:
Interesting Facts:
Family: Icteridae
Scientific Name: Icterus galbula
Location: The Baltimore Oriole can be found across much of the eastern United States and southern Canada, from the Great Plains east to the Atlantic Ocean. Habitat ranges from woodland edges and open areas with tall trees, especially deciduous trees, to parks and wooded urban areas.
Migration: During summer, the Baltimore Oriole can be found across a majority of North America extending east of the Rocky Mountains to as far south as Texas. During winter, this species moves south to more tropical regions like Florida to as far south as northern South America.
Nesting: Their nest is gourd-shaped and woven from hair, plant fibers, and synthetic fibers. Nests are usually hung by the rim from thin branches or a fork in a tall tree. A typical Baltimore Oriole lays 4-5 eggs. This species hybridizes extensively with the Bullock's Oriole.
Diet: In nature, the Baltimore Oriole primarily feeds on caterpillars, insects, and spiders, along with fruits and nectar.
Size and Color: Approximately 7-8" in size. The male breeding plumage is a brilliant flame orange to yellow orange color with black on head, throat, mantle, wings, and tail. The female is duller with head and tail more dark brownish olive than black, body paler orange, and two white wingbars. Both sexes have a pointed, silvery bill. The male's non-breeding plumage is similar to that of the female.
Song: The song consists of an irregular musical sequence of "hew-li" and other whistled notes. Its call is also a rich "hew-li" sound.
Attracting: Baltimore Orioles mainly eat insects, berries, and nectar and are often seen sipping at hummingbird feeders. Oriole feeders are extremely similar to hummingbird feeders. The slight differences include being orange in color instead of red and are designed with larger perches for the bigger, more weighty Oriole. The Baltimore Oriole is also fond of fresh orange slice offerings.

theres some info from a favorite website of mine Drs. Foster & Smtih

i had read somewhere though that they have to be in your area to attract them (i guess meaning if u havnt seem trying to attract them wont do any good b/c that means they dont have any habitat in that area) but u oblviously have them so have fun if the start to chow down.

We would cut the oranges in half and impale them....worked real good. The birds would stand right on the top of the orange and lean over to eat the fruit.

I think fresh oranges work the best here is a bad picture of my great results.

Attachments

• ma bird pics oriole 045.jpg
    ma bird pics oriole 045.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 144
egalinou said:
Hi guys,
really funny to use an orange to attract an orange bird!
Good morning to you (its morning here).
Perhaps that is why the black oil sunflower seeds in my feeders attract so many grackles and starlings (smile)
I am encouraged by the results others are having with oranges and I intend to
offer them at my feeders begining in late April.
Hi also to steveo. I think your picture and results are both great.
Thanks for the advice.

Hopin to attract em myself this year.

I haven't seen them here before, so it'll be a roll of the dice I happen to get ones attention should they passing through.

If it works, great, if it doesn't, no harm done. I was going to try the oranges (if no orioles, the catbirds might enjoy them), and I saw an oriole feeder in the store. Kind of like a big hummingbird feeder, and they sell oriole nectar.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back