• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any tips or info for transitioning to a Nikon d500? (1 Viewer)

Ghostborb

United States
So I recently got a new camera. The Nikon D500 with a 200-500 f5.6 lens. My old camera is a canon powershot ax 530 hs.
Any tips for the tradition and photographing birds with a zoom with the max of 500mm?

So I recently got a new camera. The Nikon D500 with a 200-500 f5.6 lens. My old camera is a canon powershot ax 530 hs.
Any tips for the tradition and photographing birds with a zoom with the max of 500mm?
Excellent combo D500+200-500 for wildlife shooting. But pay attention to its original Nikon lens hood. It falls down very easy. Very flimsy/bad lens hood design.

Great camera! You will find some tips in the Cameras and Photography forum. Another idea would be to check out videos by Steve Perry. I use a D500 + 500mm, too.

Agree - many useful tips a videos from Steve Perry. Maybe the best source of info out there.

One of my combos is a D500 w/500PF. Manual mode with back button AF and auto iso is the way to go.

Hi, wrong thread! Could moderator move this to CAMERAS, please.

I don't know if it is possible with the 200-500 zoom, but you should look into the autofocus correction in the D500. With the 500mm PF a slight adjustment made for sharper photos on my rig. To catch birds in flight, don't zoom in too tight if the bird is on a perch. It'll fly out of frame before you can get off a shot. Back off a bit so you can track the bird, and if you're new to doing BIF, go to a lake where there are gulls and practice panning and quickly acquiring a target. Also, I always buy a "missing manual" book when I get a new camera body. Lots of good books out there, but I like David Busch's. Good luck! I think you'll fall in love with that combo!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back